Author Topic: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial  (Read 203531 times)

Terid__K

Re: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial
« Reply #350 on: 2010-12-12 02:11:35 »
Just tried FF7Music for the first time, and it's working fine so far. Only one issue, and that's when the songs are supposed to fade-out (like right before the FMV of the first reactor blowing up plays). They just keep playing instead.

Also, the PSFs don't sound exactly like in the PSX. Is that normal?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 2010-12-12 03:53:04 »
Nothing that can be done with fade-out issues, it's a problem with FF7Music itself. As for PSFs not sounding exactly the same, it really should, since it's the music data taken straight FROM the game.

JoesGuy

« Reply #352 on: 2011-01-08 03:54:41 »
Yeah I was going to mention that. I guess we'll wait for the next version, see what comes up.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 2011-01-08 19:53:35 »
Yeah I was going to mention that. I guess we'll wait for the next version, see what comes up.
This could be a while. Ficedula hasn't release a new version of FF7Music in years.

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 2011-02-09 08:15:56 »
I downloaded the installer and it works great but I have one problem at the junon airport.

I understand that the Fade in/out option doesnt work, but when cloud climbs up the voltage tower to see the highwind for the first time, the music stops. Thats fine and wind sounds are played for a while. But when I go into the Soliders quarters the music doesnt restart. It keeps silent. And then when I go outside to the parade, the music is still missing. I saved a game file inside the Junon Airport (the soliders quarters) and the music plays fine. But as soon as I go back outside to the place with the highwind and the music turns off, it wont resume again. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 2011-02-09 08:25:44 »
I am not familiar with this problem, but it sounds like it's a bug in FF7Music. I've not run into this myself, but I doubt there's anything that can be done to fix it short of modifying the program itself, something which I am not equipped to do.

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2011-02-09 09:09:50 »
Can you confirm that this doesnt happen in your game? I have tried my laptop now as well and the exact same problem proceeds I am using Aali's drivers. I have used 7.9 and 7.10b but there is no difference. I also am using the FMV restoration and I have even taken out the Highwind FMV and the elevator (lift outside) FMV to see if they affected anything. And still nothing? If you don't encounter this problem there is bound to be a solution on my side then, that I have not found. But if you do encounter the same bug then I there is nothing much I can do.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-09 10:45:30 by Napper »

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 2011-02-09 13:46:19 »
I've realised the FF7 music log starts each time with "Prevented from resuming". And thats exactly what is happening here, the program can Stop fine and play the Midi effect but can't resume the FF7 music again. Is there a way I can tweak this?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 2011-02-09 20:40:47 »
In ff7music, you can untick "Obey stops". This should prevent it from stopping there in the first place.

If you give me your save file, I'll be glad to check it for you and see if I have the same problem. Truth be told, I haven't played through the game start to finish in about three years, so I'm not surprised that I wouldn't have noticed this problem.

Napper

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 2011-02-10 00:47:49 »
Thanks man! Here is the save file

http://www.mediafire.com/?hndhsvl0d6yttmk

The very first save file is the quickest. Once you load it, you will hear the "parade" music, once you go outside and jump on the lift you should hear the music turn off, then try to go back down the lift it will not resume.

The second save file (entitled Junon) is right before you climb the tower as well. Just in case you wanted to check that.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2011-02-10 01:52:10 »
Hmm, I can definitely confirm that this problem exists for me as well, and I think I've tracked down the root of it by attempting the same area in the PSX version.

The "emulate ramps" feature in FF7Music simply does not work. For the most part what that means is that every song is stuck at whatever volume it starts at when it begins playing. Unfortunately, when this song tries to resume, it starts at zero volume, with the intent of fading in (it's supposed to fade out when you go up the elevator, rather than stopping suddenly, and fade back in when you go down again). However, since it can't fade properly, it stays at zero volume until you visit an area with a different song.

Unless Ficedula shows up with a fix, we will never see this area working properly in FF7Music. The best you can do is save after going down, and then quit and reopen your game, or not to use that elevator to begin with. It's not a good solution, but it's all I've got. Sorry :(

To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this many years for someone to notice and point out this problem.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 2011-02-10 02:01:49 »
I saw this but given FF7music is that way for many things I didnt bother reporting it.  What is the use?  No author fixing it :)

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 2011-02-22 19:13:12 »
maybe someone can take up the mantle. or one could contact Ficedula and ask to release an update.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 2011-02-22 19:42:14 »
Is the source code for FF7 music available? I should imagine that would be very helpful if Ficedula isn't going to update the program...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2011-02-22 19:58:55 »
Nope, the source is nowhere to be found. I don't think he ever released it.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2011-02-22 20:43:15 »
and his official website is down as well.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 2011-02-23 02:20:11 »
Talk to the guys working on FF7Voice.  IIRC they got dziugo and ficedula to give them the information needed for the new voice overs to be called during different parts of the game. 

Maybe they have a better way to get in touch with them or maybe they even have the source.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #367 on: 2011-03-08 09:58:22 »

To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this many years for someone to notice and point out this problem.

Say, what? I have an entire thread dedicated to this problem... Never did solve it though  :x

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2011-05-15 21:59:22 »
Ok, so the ff7music doesn't have the preset midis and such in it, so i can't use a directory because the song profiles are all blank...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 2011-05-15 22:36:10 »
Blank profiles with the installer? Can't say I've seen or heard of that problem before.

If it was happening in the old bundle I made a few years ago, it probably means you're using Windows Vista or 7 and didn't set the compatibility mode properly.

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 2011-05-15 22:52:23 »
So I need to set it to compatability Windows 98?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 2011-05-15 23:09:25 »
From the tutorial that came alongside the old bundle:
10. If you're using Windows XP or earlier, skip this step. Right click on FF7Music.exe and choose properties. In the compatibility tab, set it to run in Windows XP SP2 mode, and check "Run this program as an administrator".

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 2011-05-15 23:20:03 »
Ya it's still not working, I am going to try the installer again and then turn off my virus protection for that portion.

You are sure the megaupload is clean right?

EDIT: SONOVABITCH, that damn virus protection turned itself back on...

I am getting pissed, I have been trying to resolve this issue since 12:00 PM and it's now 7:30 PM.

Seriously I have never had this many damn problems.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-15 23:28:49 by Travis »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 2011-05-16 04:02:56 »
I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE there is no virus. As I said in the other thread, I know exactly why it says there is, because something I did has behavior similar to a virus (though used for a legitimate purpose in this case, other viruses use the same thing for less-than-pleasant reasons), and virus scanners with heuristic detection tend to assume it's a virus, even though they don't recognize it as any specific virus.

According to VirusTotal's report on the particular file that generally shows up as a virus, only 7 out of 43 scanners even identify it as a virus, and of those the majority identify it either as generic (scanner doesn't recognize it, but thinks it's a virus) or Refroso (which happens to have some similar traits to one of the files in here). There is really no cause for concern.

The best advice I can give you is to use a better antivirus program. Just about every free AV software is better than Norton. In particular, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows users, as it has a smaller footprint and higher catch rate than other AV software.

JazzyCupcakes

« Reply #374 on: 2011-05-26 06:20:02 »
Ok, so I installed Ficedula's FF7 music I started to configure the plugin files but it pops up with this message
"Access Violation at address 00044567 in module "ff7 music.exe." Read of address 00000028"
I tried downgrading winamp....to version 2.0 and it still says the same thing.
Help please??

- If you have an issue with a particular mod, post your question in that mod's own thread - Bosola
« Last Edit: 2011-05-27 13:01:14 by Bosola »