Author Topic: [FF8 PSX] Mednafen, best Final Fantasy VIII emulation  (Read 6497 times)

Goth

I did this video two years ago but I didn't care about sharing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCdShTs3FU

Basically it is the best emulation software for FF8 in particular.
From the video description:
Most of the features mentioned in the video are not done right in other emulators. Emulators like ePSXe allow you to use different graphics plugins which in turn give you countless of settings. Getting everything to work fine is very hard if not impossible: there is always some last damn glitch that you can't fix.
An honorable mention goes to Xebra, which despite being not user-friendly, does almost everything right. Sadly it fails in battle transitions and world map lag. Also, it's only for Windows.
Mednafen does everything right in FF8 and is cross-platform. And this while not only emulating Sony PlayStation but countless other systems.

What follows are more details on the problems that you can find trying to emulate FF8 with other emulators.
* FMVs: easy to get lag / audio stuttering in these even when the rest of the game works fine.
* Menus: wrong bottom padding: basically the menu graphics and text are too vertically long and they make the menus reach the very end of the bottom of the screen; however the original game has some black space (padding) at the bottom. Who does it wrong: PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.92-4 and all Pete's plugins (P.E.Op.S., etc.); just have a look at some YouTube FF8 videos and you will notice that, since most people use ePSXe. Who does it right: pSX (gazaxian) and Xebra.
* Pixelated menus: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.18 and gpuBladeSoft 1.42 both fails. Pete's OpenGL2 Driver can solve this by checking "Screen filter".
* World map brightness: pSX (gazaxian) v1.13 gives too much brightness in the world map compared to "fields". It's abandonware so that's it.
* World map lag: Xebra, slightly, in my experience.
* Battle transitions: Xebra fails, gpuBladeSoft 1.42 succedes. Pete's plugins mostly fails IIRC.
* ATB flickering: ePSXe with Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9

In these two years something may have changed.
Has any other emulator reached the perfection of mednafen for FF8?

greator

• View Profile
Re: [FF8 PSX] Mednafen, best Final Fantasy VIII emulation
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-12 19:13:41 »
Wow great!
For me, the best emulator for FF8 is CVGS.
But it doesnt support analog. Even though ePSXe support analog, it's not perfect, its not real analog but 8way movement.
Can yours do it?

Another thing is rumble feature. DAmn I want rumble everytime I trigger. No emulator can do this.

Goth

« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-13 17:07:27 »
Yes, it supports analog sticks properly, and rumble too.

Arthandas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-29 08:46:45 »
Has any other emulator reached the perfection of mednafen for FF8?
There's Beetle PSX HW which is a better fork for libretro.

morningstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-07-29 20:33:13 »
CVGS is the best, I totally agree with the previous comment.

Spam links exploded, but post left for contest. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2019-08-22 02:39:59 by Covarr »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #5 on: 2019-07-30 18:16:16 »
CVGS? When was that last updated? Do you guys also use ZSNES by any chance?

Mednafen or Beetle-PSX (HW) are definitely still the best right now, by a long shot.