Author Topic: Attack ID for Highwind Limit Break  (Read 6607 times)

vega900

• View Profile
Attack ID for Highwind Limit Break
« on: 2012-08-02 20:26:12 »
I know I've been on and off here annoying you all with endless questioning, but I am a total newcoming to this modding scene. I have one final question...

I need to know the Attack ID for the Highwind Limit Break. This will help with completing my modified game. According to WallMarket it's 162 (A2h). Is that right? Or am I missing something... as the data for this attack is greyed out in WallMarket.

If this is not the Attack ID, does anyone know what it is?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thank you all in advance.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Attack ID for Highwind Limit Break
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-02 20:41:54 »
WallMarket won't edit limits because those aren't stored in the KERNEL.BIN. Use LiBrE for editing Limit Breaks.

vega900

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-02 20:47:27 »
The reason I'm asking is because I want an enemy to use it, but I can't put it into their AI as I don't know the Attack ID.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-03 03:40:29 »
I don't think it'll work if an enemy uses it. The animation itself specifically requires Cid.

If you want to try it anyway, WM's ID is correct.

vega900

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-03 18:56:03 »
I gave this a go, I tried to have Ultimate Weapon use the limit break. In my mod, I have named it Omega Weapon. The attack was going to be called Terra Break and used like Shadow Flare (as a death counter). All I get is a Data Error. Scene 287 Code 32. I know 287 is the 11F scene in hex, which is the final battle at Cosmo Canyon.

I got my idea from a SaintDragon666 video on YouTube. He managed to get it to attack the team with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yk5evN45_I

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-03 20:10:46 »
As far as I can tell from personal experience, nearly all Limit Breaks work as enemy attacks (Tifa's are an obvious exception). The animation might indeed look odd in some instances though. This battle, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtQVMYWbro, abounds in using Limit Breaks as regular enemy attacks.

vega900

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-03 22:23:46 »
Code: [Select]
12 2070
02 20A0
02 40D0
60 20
60 A2
60 00
60 7B
11 2010
01 2010
60 01
60 01
60 7B
01 2010
A0 01 SCFLAG 7B = %d

This is the death counter code from Ultimate Weapon. The A2 is the attack ID for Highwind. I used LiBrE to figure out the other details for this attack (such as animation ID, which according to that is 22). Still I get a Data Error.

I would appreciate getting pointed in the right direction with this. Where am I going wrong?

PS.NxK, that video was amazing. I would be keen to get Ultimate Weapon to use this one limit break without Data Errors, nevermind a whole set of them. But... excellent work!

Sorry for being a total beginner. I only just picked up my mod again after two years. I am slowly picking things up as I go.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-04 01:47:18 »
I think the thing with those attacks is that they were custom attacks that were just given data to match the limit breaks themselves. There's a little work involved to match the animations, but I don't know what. You can't just specify the same animation index, it's an offset.

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-04 08:29:13 »
The A2 is the attack ID for Highwind. I used LiBrE to figure out the other details for this attack (such as animation ID, which according to that is 22). Still I get a Data Error.

What you should do to enable the Highwind animation as an enemy attack is the following.
Open ProudClod and assign an unused attack ID to your Highwind enemy attack (use Search->for unused attack indices and pick one; 0250 should work if you have not modified anythingh else). Then, the crucial part is to figure out the accurate animation ID for Highwind as an enemy attack. You can use Libre for this but you will have to convert the number, A2, you find in Libre. If I recall correctly, the succession of numbers corresponding to the limits stays the same, however, you will have to add a certain number to the number found in Libre.
Unfortunately, I cannot access ProudClod or Libre myself at the moment, however, I remember that Omnislash uses A4 as an enemy attack animation ID. So, please look up the attack ID of Omnislash in Libre, note that number X, then calculate (A4-X) and the required enemy attack animation ID for Highwind should be A2+(A4-X).

Here is a reference screenshot of some of the properties of the enemy attack Omnislash:
« Last Edit: 2012-08-04 08:31:12 by NxK »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-04 18:38:44 »
This is the death counter code from Ultimate Weapon. The A2 is the attack ID for Highwind. I used LiBrE to figure out the other details for this attack (such as animation ID, which according to that is 22). Still I get a Data Error.

I would appreciate getting pointed in the right direction with this. Where am I going wrong?

The issue is that the IDs for animations when used as limits and when used as enemy attacks are different.

Animation IDs point to a range of values 255 wide (because that's the maximum width you can express with a single byte), but there are more than 255 animations (a range of 512, in fact). So, for different types of move, the animation IDs refer to different 'areas' in the whole range of animations.

The animation IDs for spells, for example, refer to range that comes before the animation IDs for enemy skills. This means you can give a spell an enemy skill animation by giving it a very high ID, but you can't use spell visuals for blue magic. You can move a little forward, but you can't move backwards.

Unfortunately, enemy animations come later than limit anims. A lot later. In fact, limits come at the very first, and enemy attacks at the very last (except on PC for some reason, where they swap position with summon anims). This means you cannot give an enemy attack a limit animation just by updating the IDs.

If you wanted to use the highwind animation for an enemy animation, you would have to create a second copy of the highwind animation data and mod the game to use that data for an unused enemy animation index. I don't know where that logic is managed; maybe you could search the PSX ISO for a list of filepointers (they should be in the form of LBA + filesize in bytes, in little-endian format). If these pointers are in a compressed file, however, a simple search won't suffice. I don't know if anyone has done any research and could help you.