Poll

Split releases from their discussions/bugs or keep them all in one place?

Split
14 (50%)
Combine
14 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Split releases from their discussions/bugs or keep them all in one place?  (Read 12409 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
We seem to be pretty split on the matter of leaving discussion/bug reports/suggestions in the same thread as releases.   Some feel it is best to keep them separate, while others want them combined.   

If you don't really care, still cast your vote for the one that you think would work best.

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
I say have them split, that way the clutter is down, and the search function can be greater utilized. Also having the release in a separate thread from the bugs/issues. Will cut down on the amount of pages you have to search through, just in case the search function fails.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
I like the old way of doing it(combined). :)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I say have them split, that way the clutter is down, and the search function can be greater utilized.

Having them split makes searching a lot harder, for two reasons. The first is that older releases will still have the discussions and big in the game tweaking thread and the second is that people will have to search two boards instead of one. Searches are now limited to one every 30 seconds, so it will make everything a little bit more tedious.

obesebear

• View Profile
Having them split also makes troubleshooting a lot easier.  If you have a bug to report or a question, you can find that version's thread and sift through 2 pages instead of 20 .

Combining eliminates the problem of finding the newest download and finding the most recent updated thread to post in.

Choose wisely.

-Ric-

• View Profile
split with the link to the troubleshooting topic on the release one would be good enough imo

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
How are you going to decide whether or not to act on this poll?  Is there a deadline for votes?  Are you going to do a statistical test of significance on the results or something?

Anyway, I've voted for combined since it feels more organized (to me) to have everything in one place.  I'd rather sift through 20 pages of the same thread than 20 pages divided into different threads.

obesebear

• View Profile
How are you going to decide whether or not to act on this poll?  Is there a deadline for votes?  Are you going to do a statistical test of significance on the results or something?

Anyway, I've voted for combined since it feels more organized (to me) to have everything in one place.  I'd rather sift through 20 pages of the same thread than 20 pages divided into different threads.
The poll is ongoing.  It will stop once a new layout is decided on (which will also likely be a poll) and Qhimm decides whether or not he wants to entertain the idea.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Has anyone thought of a child board in Game tweaking to contain releases? Then the rest could be discussion. I know it can be done as Jari had made one for hermoor's posts a while back.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Child board? How does that work? All of the useless post in Game tweaking will go there? I think its easier for the useless post to go to trash can instead. *opinion*

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
No the releases go in there. The regular discussions will be in the same spot.

edit: This is an example of a smf forum with child boards

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
« Last Edit: 2010-07-25 02:38:07 by sl1982 »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
Qhimm hath heard thine poll and hath delivered unto you a forum update. Praise him.  ;D

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I say split. It's easier to keep track of what's been done that way rather than looking through thousands of posts trying to see what bugs remain and what's been recently done.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Split. Currently Aali's driver thread is a perfect example. old thread was 90+ pages if i recall.

new releases, old releases, updates, other random garbage. Now it's much easier to sift through. at least in my opinion.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
I think for every release thread the user should make another thread and link to it from the first.

Just my two cents.

I also think that the first post should contain the most up to date mod with a changelog.

It would be nice to not have to search through pages for things.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
Imo combined; releases updated in first post. If everything is split, things become too fragmented to navigate..

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
Well, I am really just voicing my opinion to have a changelog with the most up to date download in the first post.

obesebear

• View Profile
It's a dead even tie.  So the staff has decided to vote.   

Drum roll::::::::::::

They will be combined.  The only exception (for now anyways) will be Aali's driver. Polls are closed + locked + hooray