Author Topic: FFVIII Remastered  (Read 83130 times)

Manakaiser

• View Profile
Re: FFVIII Remastered
« Reply #25 on: 2019-06-15 15:50:12 »
Agreeed squalls new model is absolutely terrible. He looks like a clichee anime protagonist and way too clean/friendly/boyish, dunno hard to explain.

Terid__K

« Reply #26 on: 2019-06-16 18:32:26 »

Just noticed this awful texture mapping on Irvine's gun. Just look at that barrel, the texture isn't even close to being properly aligned. I guess this shows it's still a work in progress (and hopefully not something they screwed up, but I wouldn't be surprised).

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2019-06-16 18:47:05 »
the more I look at those models in closeup the more I realise how small of an improvement they are over the original (in terms of model quality, to be honest in terms of design they might actually be a downgrade, everything looks too smooth/friendly/animey, again having a hard time figuring out how to put it:P).... this borders being called a slightly improved port as opposed to "remaster". Its weird becasue the first time I saw the trailer I though the improvement on the models was pretty decent but I guess it was just not having played in a long time combined with slight hypetinted glasses.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2019-06-16 19:48:54 »
But better as in the Secret of Mana 2 Remake.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #29 on: 2019-06-17 22:32:39 »

The most accurate model imo

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #30 on: 2019-06-18 07:10:33 »
That's the company apparently working on it (partner with Square Enix). They replied to a few twitters.

Have a look, Dotemu.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #31 on: 2019-06-19 16:52:03 »
Famitsu page, interview.

Infos:
  • Triple speed
  • Enhance battle (Max HP & ATB, can always use special moves)
  • No encounter
  • No Chocobo World
  • Original Staff working on it
  • Tracks from original PSX

• PC-only features:
  • Obtain all items, abilities, special moves & cards
  • Max GF level, Gil & magic
  • Detailed customization in system settings
« Last Edit: 2019-06-19 19:36:20 by Kuraudo. »

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2019-06-19 16:59:34 »
Looks like the original battle program director Hiroshi Harada, Tomohiro Konno who worked on character models, and Tetsuya Nomura are all involved in the remaster. Choco world is gone, with the items being put into Rinoas Angelo search ability? Additional features and PC cheats we already know about, the PC version will get highly customizable system settings. Not sure about the last part, probably issues surrounding why they waited till now to do the remaster.

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2019-06-19 17:13:12 »
Can someone do a comparison images between the remaster and our best PC mod?

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2019-06-19 17:37:48 »
Famitsu page, interview.

Infos:
  • Triple speed
  • Enhance battle (Max HP & ATB, can always use special moves)
  • No encounter

• PC-only features:
  • Obtain all items, abilities, special moves & cards
  • Max GF level, Gil & magic
  • Detailed customization in system settings

If someone made to translate it please notify us. I'm really looking forward to every single word they say about viii

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #35 on: 2019-06-19 19:37:49 »
If someone made to translate it please notify us. I'm really looking forward to every single word they say about viii
Heya Maki, Please have a look in your INBOX (PM).

You might use this website to try get something, select japanese-english, drag the photo in and select block then top-right select translate.

Cheers,
Kuraudo

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2019-06-19 22:24:39 »
that is an awesome/useful website I didnt know about; thanks for that link.

kaspar01

• FFVIII Fan & Collector , 3D Artist , FF8RP-WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2019-06-23 11:15:15 »
I must admit I'm not too excited for this "remaster".
It just doesn't look like it will add much about quality (compared to what mod is already doing) and since they announced it for this year I guess we won't see much improvement (if there will be any) at the final release.
Yet I hope for a remade engine (unity or something) that is going to remove those huge limitations for modding..
If just we could be able to fully replace character/monster and battle stages whith no polycount limitation that would be gold...my hopes (and my willingness to spend further money on this new version) depend on that.

Edit:
Even if I heard that Nomura himself could have been somewhat involved I can't really agree about changes made on Squall.. I mean.. those hairs are totally different and I never recognized him in that new "dissidia-look".. he just look like someone else just dressed whith the same clothes.. and since they're not going to remake the cinematic cutscenes that difference is going to be a non-sense change to me rather than a real improvement.. for sure the first thing I'd like to mod.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-23 11:21:37 by kaspar01 »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2019-06-25 04:51:43 »
A few of the old team is involved with the remaster.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2019-06-28 16:56:08 »
There seems to come also a voiceover in English and Japanese.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2019-06-28 18:10:15 »
New info from Famitsu here, and english here.

Also new hi-res in-game screenshot where you can have a closer look (particularly the job done on backgrounds).

[Edit] Just for comparison PC/PC with mods:

« Last Edit: 2019-06-28 18:25:25 by Aavock »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2019-06-28 19:21:47 »
Not bad at all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2019-06-28 19:32:01 »
The character model is shockingly bad. Doesn't even look like Squall. The first PC mod version is very good. The bottom one is atrocious.

The backgrounds... again it's a simple upscale.  There's nothing really different here.  More of the same. Blurriness instead of detail (with pixellation) - which I find a crap tradeoff.

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2019-06-28 22:00:49 »

Also new hi-res in-game screenshot where you can have a closer look (particularly the job done on backgrounds).

Or lack thereof.... What a joke im highly disappointed but i expected to be as soon as I heard "remaster" so it pans out. Simply too lazy of a cashgrab. I can apreciate a good cashgrab (with smallest possible investment, but still enough to positivley notice, for comparatively big cash gain)  but this is a lame one.

And the squall is shockingly bad indeed; Friendly Anime-boy kingdomheartsy type squall. I expect the transition form the opening fmv with the mature looking squall to the medbay bedroom with this model to be particularly silly.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-28 22:03:11 by Manakaiser »

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2019-06-28 22:30:30 »
I totally agree, making the backgrounds blurry (like FFVII on PS4/Switch) is a very lazy and lame attempt in trying to hide a poor upscale method.

Saying that original team is involved with this remaster is just absurd by looking these screenshots. All I see is a generic eye popping childish anime look, way too vibrant colors and contrasty character models. I'm afraid that this "remaster" goes into the smartphone category wee see nowadays. I still beleive that fixing all the issues on the current Steam version (and porting it to different platforms) was a better choice, but hey, let's put the word "remastered" on it: gotta make that money.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2019-06-29 02:14:37 »
This DLPB guy yeah. :evil:

As a bonus, here you can see the astonishing job done on battle backgrounds: :roll:

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2019-06-29 06:02:57 »
You sound just like DLPB.  A total cynic.  You two need to get a room and let the rest of us enjoy it for what it is.

;)

Terid__K

« Reply #47 on: 2019-06-30 22:23:33 »
Crap, I was hoping they wouldn't touch the backgrounds at all (especially after they did such a terrible job with the FF9 bgs). I think these look worse than FF9's, just a crappy blur filter from the looks of it.

As for Squall, he does look a bit strange yeah. His hair isn't even close to matching the original design.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2019-07-01 00:28:56 »
In the orignal design he looks like in the twentieth, now he looks much more like an older teen-ager. Also the face in the CGI is proportional really bad. Just look how small his ear is. Usually an ear's hight goes from the mouth to the eyebrows, the CGI model has it from the nose to the eyebrows. This results in a lot more problems and is making the whole face to little for his head.
I just saying this because complaints are not justified even though the new model design doesn't portray the concept art very well (which has also a too small ear). The redesign is better as before. The only bad thing I see is that it clashes with the CGI scenes and that the team is (probably) too lazy to upgrade the unimportant NPCs as well.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2019-07-01 02:10:40 »
I forgot to specified in my last post that the first image is from the remaster and bottom one the current steam version.

As mentioned by Kaldarash, there's this weird "voiceover" thing goin' on from the official website code:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/final-fantasy-8-remaster-will-feature-english-japanese-voices-according-to-its-official-website/