Author Topic: FFVII steam release  (Read 32818 times)

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
FFVII steam release
« on: 2013-07-04 09:50:10 »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140

Finally it's out in steam ^^

Terid__K

Re: FFVII steam release
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-04 09:52:33 »
Yeah, it surprised me. Some people are mentioning always-on DRM though, even though it doesn't say anything about third party DRM on the main page.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-04 09:54:36 »
Maybe we should make a petition for steam workshop support=D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-04 15:27:27 »
From what I'm reading on the steam community forums, it only requires online for cloud saving, and if you turn off cloud saving from the launcher, it won't require a connection anymore. SecuROM seems to be removed.

If someone buys this, can someone confirm the presence or absence of "paul.dll" in the game's install directory? I won't be able to afford it myself for a week and a half.
A kind benefactor has purchased me a copy. I can confirm it does not have SecuROM. More info coming.
edit: It's still using OGG versions of the old MIDI music, just like 2012 release.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 15:52:57 by Covarr the Proud Fanboy »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-04 15:53:08 »
does this use the same save formats as the 2012 release or do i have to add support for another format?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-04 16:33:33 »
Saves look largely the same; my cloud saves from last year actually sync'd to this version even. Directory is slightly different, you might need to make a few minor updates, but signatures and metadata all look to be probably identical.

CJDJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-04 16:44:28 »
Long time lurker, 1st time poster... hello all.  :)  I'm sure it's too early to tell, but would the mods (i.e. Bootleg) work with the Steam version?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-04 16:57:11 »
This is nearly identical to last year's release on the S-E store. Assuming the game converter kranmer made still works (it probably does), bootleg should also.

That said, you're likely to run into issues because Steam *REALLY* wants to install to Program Files by default, and won't let you create multiple libraries on the same drive, and bootleg really doesn't like when you install in Program Files. For now, people who want to mod are likely to have trouble unless they have a second HDD or partition they can install to.

CJDJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-04 17:04:55 »
This is nearly identical to last year's release on the S-E store. Assuming the game converter kranmer made still works (it probably does), bootleg should also.

That said, you're likely to run into issues because Steam *REALLY* wants to install to Program Files by default, and won't let you create multiple libraries on the same drive, and bootleg really doesn't like when you install in Program Files. For now, people who want to mod are likely to have trouble unless they have a second HDD or partition they can install to.

I wouldn't have to worry about that.  I don't have Steam installing into Program Files.  I have the games going to my larger 3TB drive, instead of my tiny SSD.  Maybe I'll finally jump into the FF7 Mods for PC... I've been coming here for a while looking at the mods....

zahrdahl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-04 18:26:16 »
Bootleg seemed to work fine, I used Tifa's Package on the Steam install and played for an hour with no issues that I could tell. This was my first time using bootleg though so it might be *something* didn't work as it should and I simply didn't notice.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 18:43:08 by zahrdahl »

Terid__K

« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-04 18:34:14 »
Are the lgp files the same between this and the old PC version? Just wondering if I can just swap the lgp to play with updated models.

EDIT: Wow, I just saw there are people who still think you need stuff like the truemotion codec and chocobo patch to make the old PC copy work. I guess the existence of the FF7 modding community isn't as obvious as I thought.

« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 18:52:37 by TeridKane »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-04 19:26:13 »
http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/846958001162974435/

I find it HILARIOUS that the most commented post is an argument about DRM. Do they even realize they're on Steam forums...STEAM...hello??? lol  :D

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: 2013-07-04 20:14:11 »

Can I have more info on this subject? I may as well replay FF7 but I' like to know which mods are compatible with re-release. I think for original FF7 I used FF7Music, Avalanche HD Textures, Rejuvenation project, YAMP for MDef/minigames fixes, Aalis driver and some custom 3d models.

Now, I know that FF7Music is obsolete, there is OGG support in-game and proper track list for that. What about the rest? I assume YAMP is not compatible anymore as well (which is sad, I can live without minigames but Mdef fix is critical).
« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 20:17:26 by Kein »

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-07-04 20:29:17 »
http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/846958001162974435/

I find it HILARIOUS that the most commented post is an argument about DRM. Do they even realize they're on Steam forums...STEAM...hello??? lol  :D

Well, I used to think the same thing, but it's a common misconception. Most of the games on Steam are actually DRM free, like GOG games. After installing, you can literally move the folder, uninstall steam, and still play the game.

Edit: "Most" may have been exaggerating, since I'm not sure how many games have their own DRM, but either way, if they don't have a DRM of their own, and they aren't Steamworks games, you should be able to move it.

Here's the list of current Steamworks games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication

Edit 2: Ok, I wasn't quite right either. Steamworks can contain many different things including the DRM component, but doesn't have to.

Here is also a list of non-DRM Steam games: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1
« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 20:41:20 by saftle »

Gordon228

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-07-04 21:23:28 »
What would someone need to do to use the mods with the steam FFVII? is it copy and past or is there more to it?

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-07-04 21:28:21 »
The normal Bootleg Config works with the Steam release just as it did with the 2012 release. I re-purchased again and just tried it out. No issues so far.

It converts the game into the 1998 version though, so you'll lose all of the extra features like achievements, cloud saving, etc.

After installing it, I renamed the Bootloader as FF7_Launcher.exe while backing up the old launcher. This makes it so that you can play directly via Steam like you normally would.

The only thing that I can't figure out yet, is how to get the Steam Overlay to work when launching FF7 using the Bootloader. It works if I rename the FF7.exe as FF7_Launcher.exe and bypass the Bootloader, but then FF7Music.exe doesn't work.

Anyone have an idea on how to have the best of both worlds? :)
« Last Edit: 2013-07-04 21:29:56 by saftle »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-07-04 22:13:29 »
Hello Guests ;D

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2013-07-04 22:25:06 »
Hello Guests ;D

Now you've gone and made me think about editing my post  :P

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #18 on: 2013-07-04 22:40:13 »
but then FF7Music.exe doesn't work.

But why do you still use it? Shouldn't re-release  support OGG "natively" now?  Anxious Heart offers looping OGGs + quality even better than PSF since encoded from original OST. You don't need FF7music anymore, do you?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-07-04 22:58:42 »
The point is the 'New' DirectX9 engine is in basic a modified version of Aali's Custom Open GL driver. Aali has added a way to play ogg music without FF7Music, but never release it. So we need it, until Aali made an update to his driver or someone else find a better solution or even made a new custom driver.
The new rerelease has no option to load external content, like png-files, that's why you need to downpatch the game to get the full experience of all mods.

Gordon228

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-07-05 05:07:24 »
well i will experiment with the steam ff7 once i get the music i have renamed and will let you all know of my results.

So far external files do not work. maybe since we know that the Steam FFVII is using qt some one could make a plugin that would allow it to use the external folders? i would do it but i have no codeing experience.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-05 08:52:19 by Gordon228 »

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-07-05 14:30:16 »
Random question but if I have the 2012 version and I get the steam version and log into my SE Account do the achievements carry over? Because I don't feel like getting them all again :P

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-07-05 15:44:27 »
Random question but if I have the 2012 version and I get the steam version and log into my SE Account do the achievements carry over? Because I don't feel like getting them all again :P

I was able to login to my old 2012 account, so I assume so, but then again I never used the cloud saving feature. I modded it straight after logging in once when I bought the 2012 release and also with the new Steam release.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-07-05 16:04:26 »
Yeah, achievements carry over. When I first started the game, I got three achievements right at once.

I should note I didn't get very far in the 2012 version.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-07-05 16:12:45 »
awesome, thanks for the confirmation guys!