Author Topic: Which version do you prefer? New vs Old.  (Read 25627 times)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Which version do you prefer? New vs Old.
« Reply #25 on: 2012-08-20 04:40:32 »
I might be fairly unique among long-time members in this, but I actually prefer the new release. The only mods I ever really used to begin with were Aali's driver for high resolution/bugfixes, and FF7Music to replace that awful midi. Since the new version can do both of those anyway, I really appreciate the overall lack of headaches that comes with it.

Now that they can both be modded equally, I prefer either. You speak of headaches, and my only one is that all the mods for main characters are a mash-up of different arts and styles. Maybe it's a girl thing, but I really like to match. I am still grateful for what we have though  :)

I can't fathom playing this game now without FacePalmer's Field Pack, Unified Model Installer, and Menu Overhaul. They are just amazing, and I'm very glad that they work with the new version.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-08-20 12:02:09 »
I wonder how limited we are when adding new music to the game now, and if we could potentially use all new tracks, via scripting.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 2012-08-20 12:17:23 »
what do you mean, all new tracks? you could use ff7 music + custom ost and just use whatever music you want?
unless I'm totally misunderstanding something here.

for example, this plays when I go to the gold saucer in my game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbSKE3nomeQ

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012-08-20 14:26:10 »
He's not asking about replacement tracks. He's asking about additional tracks for modding, that don't use up an old spot.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-08-20 14:38:30 »
Now that they can both be modded equally, I prefer either. You speak of headaches, and my only one is that all the mods for main characters are a mash-up of different arts and styles. Maybe it's a girl thing, but I really like to match. I am still grateful for what we have though  :)

I can't fathom playing this game now without FacePalmer's Field Pack, Unified Model Installer, and Menu Overhaul. They are just amazing, and I'm very glad that they work with the new version.

They don't. Menu Overhaul and translations don't. Translations may do one day, Menu Overhaul is almost certain never to.  FeliX's graphical improvements like world map won't work with the new game either.  All of these use Aali's driver.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #30 on: 2012-08-20 15:13:12 »
They don't. Menu Overhaul and translations don't. Translations may do one day, Menu Overhaul is almost certain never to.  FeliX's graphical improvements like world map won't work with the new game either.  All of these use Aali's driver.

she means with kranmers patch. but yes it is important to clearly state what version mods work with 1998, 2012patched or 2012 especially with the increase of newcomers to the site

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-08-20 15:47:04 »
Yes, I was referring to 2012 patched.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2012-08-20 16:27:26 »
In that case it is no longer the new game.  Once you have used that patch it is then the old game almost 100%

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #33 on: 2012-08-20 16:53:06 »

This:
(...) Once you have used that patch it is then the old game almost 100%

Not to O/t: Either. New if I had to choose because it works out of the box.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2012-08-20 17:58:18 »
I say either, because if you patch it you get the same end result anyway.

And I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really prefer the bigger characters to the SD models, even custom, not as lego-like ones. I remember the first thing I thought when I played FF7 way back is that they looked like they were kids.

And this is very strange for me, considering FF7 is like my favorite game - and all my other favorites I don't really like to play with "updates" beyond resolution. I play Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Daggerfall, Thief, etc. all with the original graphics.

I mean, I prefer playing with these graphics:

to this

As good as the bottom one may look, and even though I can run it I much prefer the original graphics, which is why I find it so weird that I like playing FF7 with all the GFX mods.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-20 18:00:18 by BloodShot »

Irepress

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2012-08-20 18:03:04 »
i couldnt find the way to personally message you but my email is [email protected], thanks.

CHANCE69

« Reply #36 on: 2012-08-26 01:50:36 »
i like the old one better.
textures seems to clean in new version.

maybe with new textures and better lighting/shadows (enb modding has allready begun on new re-release) the new one will be better .... eventually ;)

Andrew LB

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2012-08-26 02:54:38 »
As one of the few people long time gamers who simply did not play FF7 back in the day, I decided to go buy this "re-release" version a week or so ago and was horribly disappointed. So much so that I got a second hand copy (for more money than I'd like to admit) off ebay and after installing the massive 19gb Bootleg 0039 package i learned about via a google search for a high resolution texture pack, which directed me to these forums... I am VERY happy. I've played about 40 hours now and am loving every minute of it. At first though, I didn't think I'd get that emotional attachment to the characters, which is a hallmark seen in only the greatest video games made. In all honesty, that scene in the City of the Ancients proved my initial thoughts on the game COMPLETELY wrong. I started this game without any knowledge of the plot or character specifics.... and man was I floored. Im hoping she comes back in some way later in the game, especially since there is plenty of foreshadowing to support this.

I gotta go back to playing before I read any spoilers and ruin it for me... :)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 2012-08-26 11:39:25 »
you could just have converted the re-release with a patch and saved yourself all that money

steamwolf

• Nihoncha
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2012-08-28 08:52:32 »
It seems like the old has more opportunity for now. I wonder if the pros of the 2012 release could be modded and improved or blended with future mods to create something that's got all the pros and none of the cons? But it is nice being able to digitally get FFVII for ten bucks. And if the current mods basically turn it into the old version (but better with the mods) then yeah I'd say old version all the way lol.

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #40 on: 2012-09-01 02:42:46 »
So which takes up more space on the HDD? The original 1998 Eidos version, or the rerelease with kranmer's mod?

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2012-09-01 02:53:58 »
using a maximum install of 1998 vs rerelease the rerelease takes up for space. the rerelease contains all files while a max install of 1998 would load movies from cds. modded or bootlegged  the rerelease probably still more because the patch and boot leg probably dont clean out all the unneeded files

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #42 on: 2012-09-01 03:03:58 »
Okay, thanks. Sounds like I need to head downstairs and grab the old disks.

edit->
New version before patch - 2.21 GBs.
New version after Kranmer's 0.3 conversion patch - 2.36 GBs.

Old version 'Maximum' Install - 415 MBs?!? Wow that's a HUGE difference. (This is the version that comes in the trapezoid box and 3 page fold-out CD case).
Also lol @:
« Last Edit: 2012-09-01 12:04:41 by cirellio »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2012-09-01 06:26:29 »

edit->
New version after Kranmer's 0.3 conversion patch - 2.36 GBs

Old version Full Install -
-_-; I select 'install' and nothing happens. Either my install disk is shot or I need to do some studying on how to get this thing to work on Win7. :P

That happens sometimes. Boot into Safe Mode, then install.

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #44 on: 2012-09-01 11:53:05 »
That happens sometimes. Boot into Safe Mode, then install.
Worked like a charm! Thanks Alyza. Updating previous post.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2012-09-01 12:08:29 »
like i said a max install of the old release is meant read the movies from the cds. If u use disc images and mount them the total size of the install plus the size of the discs will probably be higher than the rerelease.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2012-09-01 12:10:50 »

edit->
New version after Kranmer's 0.3 conversion patch - 2.36 GBs.

Old version 'Complete' Install - 415 MBs?!? Wow that's a HUGE difference. (This is the version that comes in the trapezoid box and 3 page fold-out CD case).
yeah there is a few reasons why the old one is smaller then the new one on a full install,
1: Original game keeps movies on the CD where the rerelease has them on the HDD (if you copy the old movies to the HDD the filesize will probably be similar).
2: Original game only comes in the language you buy it in but the rerelease comes in multiple languages (which means it has multiple movies and LGP's for different languages which increase filesize)

On the release you could probably delete the languages you are not using to cut down the filesize after a installation of the release if you need to save on space and maybe reencode the videos but you shouldn't need to do this unless you think 2GB is too big.
Also my converter for new to old increased the filesize because it copies movies that are in a different folder into the correct folder (it copies instead of moving because if it moves files the rerelease may have problems, i try to keep it so the rerelease will work as much as possible).

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #47 on: 2012-09-01 12:28:53 »
That makes sense.
Rerelease with the following files removed brings it down to 1.74 GB:

.\FINAL FANTASY 7
     ff7_de.exe
     ff7_de.exe.bak
     ff7_de.exe.manifest
     ff7_es.exe
     ff7_es.exe.bak
     ff7_es.exe.manifest
     ff7_fr.exe
     ff7_fr.exe.bak
     ff7_fr.exe.manifest
.\FINAL FANTASY 7\data\langde
.\FINAL FANTASY 7\data\langes
.\FINAL FANTASY 7\data\langfr

Tested and it still runs fine without those files.

So it seems to me that, at the moment, I prefer the original if I want to run Bootleg. It seems to leave the most room for necessary mods.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-01 12:41:10 by cirellio »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2012-09-01 12:56:31 »
also there is a few more files you should be able to get rid off which are quite big (over 100MB each), if you go into
.\FINAL FANTASY 7\data\field
you should see a bunch of files like
sflevel.lgp
gflevel.lgp
fflevel.lgp
those 3 are for different languages (s for spanish, g for german and f for french, the english one is named flevel.lgp so make sure you keep that one)
if you look in a few other folders there are even more like the mini-games folder but to be honest most of the other folders are only small files.

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #49 on: 2012-09-01 13:21:18 »
also there is a few more files you should be able to get rid off which are quite big (over 100MB each), if you go into
.\FINAL FANTASY 7\data\field
you should see a bunch of files like
sflevel.lgp
gflevel.lgp
fflevel.lgp
those 3 are for different languages (s for spanish, g for german and f for french, the english one is named flevel.lgp so make sure you keep that one)
if you look in a few other folders there are even more like the mini-games folder but to be honest most of the other folders are only small files.
That got me down to 1.51 GBs, very nice!
EDIT -> Actually, I did a little more hunting and was able to get it down to 1.31 GBs. I went ahead and wrote a batch file. You run it from within your installed directory and it keeps the language of your choice, removing the rest.
-Before: 2.21 GB
-After: 1.31 GB
http://www.5-rings.com/other/FF7%20De-Bloater.bat (Right-click and 'Save As')
Update: Fixed an issue with Spanish mode and re-upped.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-05 14:51:06 by cirellio »