Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007742 times)

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R01)
« Reply #625 on: 2014-11-01 23:55:56 »
Need a vote on this.  A or B

A.
“In other words,the use of Mako energy
  can lead to only one final outcome…
  The complete destruction of our planet.”

B.
“In other words,the use of Mako energy
  can lead to only one final conclusion…
  The complete destruction of our planet.”

I would say that it depends on the person speaking and context of the speech.  Both options are viable in a sense.  Outcome is more generic and used in cases where the problem is quantifiable.  While conclusion is more sophisticated/classy and is used in non-quantifiable situations.  For instance, you wouldn't say "what's the conclusion of this math problem, 2 + 2 = ?".  You would rather say, "what's the conclusion of this story?".

But seeing as how this is related to the story, I would stick to 'conclusion'.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: 2014-11-02 00:05:20 »
Covarr's vote is "outcome".  This is Bugenhagen.

Luksy is still MIA, so I'm ploughing through anything I can fix myself (and any grammar issues with Covarr).  120 maps with at least one issue remain.

I've also found 2 more script errors... one of them for sure. At the Great Crater, after the scene with Rufus aboard the Highwind, it cuts back to Cloud who should say something like "So... Rufus is here too".  But because the last ID has been set wrong, it doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-03 22:13:50 by DLPB »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: 2014-11-03 22:08:11 »
It's amazing how you can still find errors for every time you go through this stuff.  ;D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 2014-11-03 22:10:52 »
Yeah it is.... I don' think it's at all reasonable to assume even with 100 years that you'd make it perfect...  or whatever that is.
But even in a decade, you'd certainly find the odd big thing. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: 2014-11-03 22:34:30 »
It's amazing how you can still find errors for every time you go through this stuff.  ;D
Aside from the dialogue choice/variables bug, these scripting errors are pretty much all in the original game. It can, at times, be difficult to tell when dialogue was intentionally left unused (ex.: anything with Aerith after disc 1), and when it was unused because of a scripting error.

As far as dialogue that still needs going through, the vast majority of it is fine as is. It's being gone through at this point less for proofreading and finding problems, and more for a level of perfection most people probably wouldn't even notice. Among other things, a huge amount of effort has gone into getting the commas as right as they could possibly be, and several lines have been worked and reworked to make them as natural as they can possibly be—no easy feat when coming from a language with such a different idea of what sounds natural and what doesn't.

In the end, it's this extra effort that really makes the difference between a barely serviceable localization like the original, a fine localization like R01, and a great one like R02 is set to be. That's what happens when you have several years to put into a project of this scale instead of several weeks. Michael Baskett didn't really have the time or staff he needed to do a great job (as far as I can tell, he did it entirely on his own? No man should ever be the only set of eyes proofreading his own work for a commercial product this big), and we've got almost more time than we'd like as R02 can't even release until touphScript is updated.

But as DLPB said, even 100 years probably isn't enough for perfection. The best we can do is take advantage of what time we've got, making it as good as it can be while we wait.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: 2014-11-03 22:44:03 »
What Covarr said.

Also... I am pleased with how it is looking now, and once the remaining flagged issues are sorted, I will finally consider this complete.  Errors remaining or not. (Although those can easily be fixed of people mention them).  It will worthy of a professional release, and that's about all you can ever hope for.

Hopefully, Luksy will also return soon, as there are around 50 problems for him to help me with, and ts needs updating.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 2014-11-05 22:34:42 »
Interesting little thing has just dawned on me.  I'm not sure if anyone else here has spotted this but...

That FMV at Kalm is a fake... it's a fake memory from Cloud.  In it, he remembers Sephiroth saying to Jenova

"But they...  those worthless fools... stole the planet from you and your people.  You need not be sad any longer"

The FMV is over the top on purpose because Cloud is making this scene more involved than it was... more dramatic.  He is also remembering something he did not even see.  When he got to Sephiroth, Sephiroth had already removed the Jenova statue (Zax is the one who really witnesses this), and the room is lit up with the Jenova specimen on show. [You can see this in Makou if you compare the 2 fields].

At Midhir, you learn the truth of the ACTUAL conversation:

{CLOUD}
“What are you going
  to do about my grief!?
  My family!? My friends!?”{NEW}
“…Having my hometown
  taken from me!? It's the
  same as your sorrow!”
------------------------------
Sephiroth
“Ha,ha,ha! My sorrow?
  What do I have to
  be sorrowful about?”{NEW}
“I am the chosen one.
  I have been chosen
  to rule the planet.”
#h 3
Sephiroth
“I was given life in order to take
  this world from you worthless fools.
  To reclaim it for the Cetra.”{NEW}
“What,then,should I be sad about?”

Cloud remembers this and twists it with the scene Zax was a part of. In other words, Sephiroth was not talking to Jenova about sadness, it was an exchange with Cloud.  Everything Cloud remembers in the FMV never happened.  We never see it, because it really happened to Zax (a different version of events that is never shown), before Cloud enters the room.

This conversation also never happened:

Sephiroth
“Mother…
  Let's reclaim the planet.”{NEW}
“I have a great idea.
  We'll head to the Promised Land.”
{CLOUD}
“Sephiroth…”
{CLOUD}
“My family!
  My hometown!
  How could you!?”
Sephiroth
“Ha,ha,ha!
  Here they are again,Mother.”
Sephiroth
“With your superior abilities,
  knowledge,and magic,you
  were destined to rule the
  world.”

You can clearly see that Cloud is remembering these events all mixed up.  These scenes are far cleverer than I first gave them credit for.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-05 22:39:43 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #632 on: 2014-11-07 20:20:53 »
Interesting little thing has just dawned on me.  I'm not sure if anyone else here has spotted this but...

That FMV at Kalm is a fake... it's a fake memory from Cloud.  In it, he remembers Sephiroth saying to Jenova

"But they...  those worthless fools... stole the planet from you and your people.  You need not be sad any longer"

The FMV is over the top on purpose because Cloud is making this scene more involved than it was... more dramatic.  He is also remembering something he did not even see.  When he got to Sephiroth, Sephiroth had already removed the Jenova statue (Zax is the one who really witnesses this), and the room is lit up with the Jenova specimen on show. [You can see this in Makou if you compare the 2 fields].

At Midhir, you learn the truth of the ACTUAL conversation:

Cloud remembers this and twists it with the scene Zax was a part of. In other words, Sephiroth was not talking to Jenova about sadness, it was an exchange with Cloud.  Everything Cloud remembers in the FMV never happened.  We never see it, because it really happened to Zax (a different version of events that is never shown), before Cloud enters the room.

This conversation also never happened:

You can clearly see that Cloud is remembering these events all mixed up.  These scenes are far cleverer than I first gave them credit for.

I always got the impression that Zax told Cloud the story of what happened to him at some point during their trip back to Midgar (they had a whole truck-ride to talk and Cloud sure wasn't capable of being part of the conversation) and Cloud ended up piecing parts of the story together with his actual memories in a subconscious attempt to keep himself together. He wasn't exactly a well man for most of the game, after all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: 2014-11-08 00:36:57 »
That's what happened.  But the events you see in game are fake and are a mix of what Zax told Cloud and what really happened to Cloud.

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 2014-11-09 00:22:48 »
Hello guys  :)
I will introduce myself later ^_^ I have kept silent for really too long a time ! ( for years, literally ) ..especially on matters like the one you're discussing right now. So if you allow me to tell a bit about my point of view, that will be my real pleasure :)

The source of Cloud's confusion, twisted memories and disease is the Jenova's cells within his body, I think you'll agree.
Now, to me, the impregnation of Zax's personality, memories ( and feelings ? I'm thinking of Aerith of course ) upon Cloud's is no stranger to the fact that both of them have Jenova's cells within them ( and there's also the friendship, loyalty and admiration too that Cloud vows to Zax ). There is a strong bond between them two, and for me that's mostly related to the fact that they "share" Jenova.

( So about what is real or not and what has happened or not.. )
For me.. what Jenova has seen, she can make Cloud believe that he was the one to see that. Furthermore, what Zax has seen, Jenova can make Cloud believe he was the one who has seen that, because Jenova saw that "through the eyes" of Zax in the first place, and Jenova is within both of them.. you get the idea, Jenova can occupy several bodies at once, but still remains a one entity / spirit.

Now I hear you, But Cloud and Zax weren't already infected during the mount Nibl reactor scene... true, but Jenova was there ( and later got into them ).
And before getting into the reactor, all what happened before that..... Sephiroth was there.

Now, think about Cloud in Kalm when he tries to remember the time he spent with his mother in their house. That's confused.. but because all memories begin to pass through his mind rapidly, like they're all coming all together at once, and there are a lot of them. For me, I see that like the breakthrough of a spring of genuine memories, not corrupted by the presence of Jenova or Sephiroth, that needed to come to daylight.. and Cloud says that he doesn't like to think about that, that he doesn't want to talk about that anymore... like a part of himself is rejecting those memories because they are true ?  :-P

Back onto what really happened ( or not ) in the reactor..
Well.. I like to think that all of it has really happened.. but witnessed by Zax, Sephiroth, or Jenova herself, and that Jenova makes Cloud believe that he was the witness all along, and so makes him know what he couldn't possibly know.
But that's me  :-P

Ow, and DLPB / Beacause team, needless to say that your hard and valuable work will be loved now and for years to come. Thank you guys, on behalf of all FFVII fans and future fans.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-09 00:52:30 by White Wind »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 2014-11-09 23:43:03 »
Need help people :)  Whoever can use Makou... can you work out the exact mechanics of how the dialogue occurs on map Las4_1 ?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: 2014-11-10 01:23:22 »
I'm not sure which dialogue you mean so I'll just go over all of them. Hopefully I've not made any mistakes, but I'm pretty sure this accounts for all the text:

First of all, each route down to this field screen has an assigned number which is pushed to a character-specific variable (called 'LastCloud [13][84], LastBarret [13][85], etc, in Makou's default variable naming):

Right Path   #1
Left-Up      #2
Left-Down   #3

This determines which exit the characters will emerge from on Field 4_1.
Which character appears and speaks from the other exits (if applicable)
triggers from Group 12 - l2, and runs Script 3 of Group 0.

First thing it does is check what route Cloud took (1, 2, or 3) to run one
of three branches. Next is character priority in ascending order:

Tifa
Barret
Cid
Red XIII
Cait Sith
Yuffie
Vincent

Tifa will always appear and speak if she was sent down a route, while Vincent
must be sent down a route alone to be seen. When it's determined who is going
to appear, it triggers their related script (depending on the exit), scrolls to them,
and triggers their dialogue line, playing Script 3 for the associated character
(to animate them coming out of the exit).

Now onto Group 17 - Modo. This handles Cloud not being able to double-back
through the Left-Down Path if the following two conditions are met:

-) He emerged from either of the other two exits/picked the other routes
-) At least one party member went through the Left-Down route

Modo's first bit of script is it's Init, where it checks the Game Moment and
then each character's chosen route twice. It checks twice because this branch
performs two functions.

First, it pushes the character's 'ID' into a temporary variable if they were sent
through the Left-Down path. Note that if Cloud used the Left-Down path then the
location is 'cleared' and Cloud can leave to back-track through Left-Down path.
[5][28] will also be left at 0 in this case, keeping the walkmesh triangle active.

One thing to note is that it's ascending order again (as above). If Tifa was
sent through the Left-Down path then the [5][28] is given her number (2) and
the script jumps to label 8 to perform the second task of this branch; counting
how many party members were sent through the Left-Down path and placing
the value into the variable [5][29].

With the Init of Modo done, now when you trigger this location it'll run Script 6
of Cloud (unless it's been cleared as mentioned before) who will make one of two
variations of a remark:

'Where is [NAME]?'

'Where is [NAME] and the others?'

[5][29] was counting before. If it equals '1', then the singular will be used. If
it doesn't equal 1, then it must equal 2 or higher and so the other version will
be used to cover the other party members. Only way for it to equal 0 is if no-one
was sent this route.

And finally, the item box dialogue is triggered when talking to it ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-11-10 01:26:00 by Sega Chief »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 2014-11-10 10:02:28 »
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.   All that code and nonsense for something that could EASILY have been left out.  In fact, since I nearly always take the entire party with me (or send them a specific route), I had never even seen ANY of this until recently. 

Thank you very much for this explanation.  That was very helpful.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: 2014-11-10 21:43:55 »
Update.

There are 44 maps to go through with Luksy, and 21 for me to go through (A few of which also require Covarr).

Most of the ones that needed grammar check with Covarr are now done.

Bed time.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-10 22:11:47 by DLPB »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: 2014-11-11 15:35:14 »
I think this is a translation issue. But go through the bombing mission up to where they set up the bomb at the Reactor before the fight with GS.  Something with Barret's line .  I should make a screen shot but I think he is saying: "  Barret: What is it? " after Cloud's little episode.    However, his line translates to: " Barret:......is it? "

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: 2014-11-11 16:35:11 »
That's not an error.  Cloud is hearing only part of the sentence- it fades in.  That's why Cloud asks "what?" and Barrett repeats himself.

Barrett
...is it?

Cloud
"Huh?" / "What?"

Barrett
"What is it, Cloud?"
« Last Edit: 2014-11-11 17:49:03 by DLPB »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: 2014-11-11 20:25:37 »
Ah!  Now I see.   My apologies,

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: 2014-11-11 20:40:39 »
No, perhaps if you saw it as a bug then it needs amending.  Perhaps Barrett should reply "I said, what is it?"

But the way it fades in is a little strange anyway, because the scene is not typical :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: 2014-11-11 22:41:15 »
Update.

Covarr's job is now complete, and mine is virtually over as well.

56 maps await Luksy.

So when he arrives back, and those are done.  R02 will be ready for its final release as far as the retranslation is concerned.

End of Disc 2
Please do not open the CD
drive until further instructions.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-11 23:49:20 by DLPB »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: 2014-11-12 03:19:08 »
I wanna say, this has turned out better than expected and I will start working on locating any issues; should ANY I come across appear. I will write them down and bring them to attention.  I want to be of some help if possible.

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: 2014-11-12 05:20:14 »
Just wondering - you're awaiting Luksy, but he hasn't shown up on the forums since August. Have you talked to him since then? You sure he's still around? :I

EDIT: Oh, hey! His "last active" time has changed. Sorry, don't mind me!
« Last Edit: 2014-11-12 05:21:57 by JeffreyATW »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 2014-11-12 08:12:31 »
I wanna say, this has turned out better than expected and I will start working on locating any issues; should ANY I come across appear. I will write them down and bring them to attention.  I want to be of some help if possible.

Wait for R02.  There's no point bug testing the current released version :)  There have been thousands of changes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKl04es5qkqdGdUWHktN09WRXNheHJ4NFhrakl6Vnc&usp=drive_web#gid=10

Questions 2 are among the final ones for Luksy.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-12 15:41:51 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 2014-11-12 18:22:51 »
update 2.

If you ever lose at Fort Condor during the main battle for Huge Materia the entire settlement is lost, and you can never return to it again (the rope is removed).  There is an entire scene where the characters discuss the happenings that only they survived.

This is currently COMPLETELY broken in R01... since I have just got round to checking the super obscure dialogues.

I have never "died" at Fort Condor before.  This time was on purpose.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-12 18:46:37 by DLPB »

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: 2014-11-12 22:17:13 »
Wait for R02.  There's no point bug testing the current released version :)  There have been thousands of changes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKl04es5qkqdGdUWHktN09WRXNheHJ4NFhrakl6Vnc&usp=drive_web#gid=10

Questions 2 are among the final ones for Luksy.

I took a look at the questions you had for Luksy, and I'm not sure exactly why you're asking him some of those questions.  I initially assumed that you were making sure that it was translated correctly so that it wouldn't come out completely wrong, but after skimming through the Google doc you linked, I noticed that a good handful of those questions were all contextual confusion and what seems to be odd word usage to you.

Some questions that should've been easily answered by Covarr: (question numbers coincide with the document)

1.)  This is a purely subjective use of the word "save".  I don't want to go into details explaining this.

5.)  Classic case of goods vs. merchandise.  Here's a good explanation between the usage of each word: http://vspages.com/goods-vs-merchandise-17391/

10.)  Lotsa = lots of.  Something similar to how y'all = you all.  It's just slang.

17.)  It could be either hard or strong.  Both words work in this case as both pertains to the level of alcohol in the drink.  Hard could mean something like "hard liquor".  I'd say it depends on Cloud's character.

18.)  Considering how Tifa was there when the town burned though, I assume that when she came back in the game and saw that the town was restored to how it was before, it made her very confused; hence why she phrased that sentence into a question.  It's like vaguely remembering a familiar face.

• "I know you, you're Dan."                         <-- You are sure.
  • "You're Dan, correct?"                              <-- You are less sure.
  • "Could you happen to be Dan?"                <-- You are not sure.

So in this case, Tifa could be confused and not be so sure.  This is largely dependent on how she has been throughout the story so far.  Maybe ever since she's met up with Cloud, her interactions with him through the story so far has had some impact on the congruity of her memories.

28.)  Maybe Scarlet meant "That'll hurt!"???

33.)  Yes, you can "hold" a reunion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hold

Definition 6: to engage in; preside over; carry on:
                    "to hold a meeting."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 2014-11-12 22:25:20 »
10/10 for effort but...

The dialogues sent to him in those questions requires a response from him because he can speak Japanese.  In other words, I'm not asking for his opinion on how the line reads, but factually given the context. :)  Most of the questions will have a very definite answer that do not require guessing at what is meant.  I know "hold" is valid English, but that's not what I am asking him.

Some localization stuff is, of course, subjective.  But those questions are asked because I cannot proceed without a factual analysis of the Japanese.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-12 22:40:43 by DLPB »