Author Topic: Menu Overhaul Issues  (Read 13979 times)

cloudsmash

• View Profile
Menu Overhaul Issues
« on: 2016-01-07 06:22:12 »
First off I gotta say thanks for all your work on the new update, it's amazing!

I've noticed the new Menu Overhaul is behaving very strangely for me vs. the Overhaul from the previous catalog.  The arrangement of text on the menus seems off, and randomly squished together.  Here are some screenshots I just took:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpa28m2kh1h7b93/squish1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq0aznmqjvqi632/squish2.png?dl=0

Battle Scene:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya6nm2l5jg7zbzx/battle_scene.png?dl=0

During dialog in the field the text seems to look OK, but very spaced out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/miycce7uhsq04ux/clean_chat.png?dl=0

My questions...

1. Is this happening with everybody on the new catalog?
2  Did the Previous catalog have a different mod for Menu Overhaul? I never noticed the name, but my gut tells me it was, just looking to clarify.
3. Previous Menu Overhaul made the boxes transparent so I could see the complete battle background on the entire screen, not a huge black box
4. Any plans to include an option for previous catalog's overhaul (if it is indeed different)?
5. Are there any other mods in the subscription that would interfere with the Menu Overhaul?

I'm fairly new here so apologies if I'm missing something obvious...

I love 7th Heaven! :)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Menu Overhaul Issues
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-07 06:29:09 »
It looks like you've modded your game files with the Team Avalanche GUI. Is this running on a completely refresh, registry cleaned, install of the game?

1) First report of this.
2) Yes, it used MO from The Reunion R02x. That version had alignment issues and shouldn't be used.
3) It's black now because the MO textures aren't loaded properly. Something is wrong with your installation.
4) Sorry, but no. It's not needed as the current version is fixed and better.
5) The only one that would interfere (that I know of) is using Sephiroth Story Mod with the ff7_ss.exe loaded in the FF7 Exe Settings.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-07 06:44:43 by EQ2Alyza »

aaceace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-07 12:50:51 »
this is also happening for me. with a fresh install of FFVII steam version without the Sephiroth story mod. How do you go about cleaning the registry? do I use a tool like ccleaner or do i have to go in there manually?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-07 12:56:09 »
First one in the FAQ section: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16538.0

By any chance, have you guys modded with Bootleg Configurator in the past?

aaceace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-07 13:09:30 »
i did mod in the past with bootleg before i found about this new 7th heaven. I did uninstall the game completely. Maybe cleaning registry will fix it :) btw is there a way to back up all the mods i got from the catalog so I don't have to re-download everything?
« Last Edit: 2016-01-07 13:11:49 by aaceace »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-07 13:19:29 »
Just move the mods\7th Heaven folder somewhere and move it back after the game installs and you run the game converter. Don't delete the files from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\7thWorkshop else 7H won't recognize the mods the same when you start it up again.

I do hope Bootleg Configurator is the culprit. Let me know how it goes.

aaceace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-07 14:22:51 »
so I uninstalled the game, Ran the registry cleaner and then ran ccleaner. Followed all instructions its still doing it. idk what else it could be.

cloudsmash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-07 14:30:22 »
Yep my last full play through was with Bootleg in early December, but I started tinkering with the previous version of 7H toward the end of December and the menu still looked good.  Since then I have uninstalled FF7, ran FF7-REMOVE-Keys.exe, re-installed FF7.  I did this again last night after seeing the Menu issues, just in case.  The only thing I did not run was CCleaner, I guess I should give that a try as well and start over.  May not have time to get to it for a few days but I will definitely post back!  Thanks for the help!

NOTE: I am on Windows 10, not sure what the others are on having this problem.

aaceace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-01-07 14:44:45 »
I'm also on windows 10.

cloudsmash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-01-07 15:11:45 »
I'm also on windows 10.

I'm at work all day, but if somebody having this issue on Windows 10 can try setting FF7.exe to run in Compatibility mode and see what happens, that would be amazing!  I could be way off here, but it's worth trying I think.

aaceace

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-01-07 15:58:43 »
I'm at work all day, but if somebody having this issue on Windows 10 can try setting FF7.exe to run in Compatibility mode and see what happens, that would be amazing!  I could be way off here, but it's worth trying I think.

Tried that didn't work :(

silvermotion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-01-07 16:26:50 »
it works fine on win 10 x64 here.

aaceace

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-01-07 17:00:32 »
Think I found the cause and the solution. I was manually starting the game by clicking ff7_bc.exe  since I was using The Reuinion Mod without the Sepiroth Story mod. For some reason everything was misaligned. Then I went back and renamed the ff7_bc.exe to ff7.exe made a backup of the original ff7.exe and used the 7th heaven lauch button now everything works.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-01-07 20:22:11 »
I'm on Windows 10 x64, too and currently I'm downloading the catalog 2.0... I will post the results tomorrow.

cloudsmash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-01-07 21:21:09 »
Think I found the cause and the solution. I was manually starting the game by clicking ff7_bc.exe  since I was using The Reuinion Mod without the Sepiroth Story mod. For some reason everything was misaligned. Then I went back and renamed the ff7_bc.exe to ff7.exe made a backup of the original ff7.exe and used the 7th heaven lauch button now everything works.

Hmm...I'm going to try enabling Beacause and see if that makes a difference, since I'm only trying to use the Menu Overhaul from that mod right now.

Chreshal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-01-07 22:26:21 »
I've also been having issues with the squished together text in the menus and it seems very pixelated. When on the field the text is fine. I used the menu overhaul in the last catalog and it worked fine with its text. I've made sure to set the ff7.exe to the one for Because and I've tested it without because and it is still bad. I've also from a older issue i had i ran did the first one on this page http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16538.0. I really hope there is some way to fix this issue cause it is really annoying to use the menus like that.

Chreshal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-01-07 23:25:10 »
Update on my problems: For the time being I found a temporary fix for anyone who is having this problem. I used I old version of the menu overhaul from the last catalog, and installed it along side of the new version. I put the new version higher in the load order than the old one and set the new to use because (one of the main reasons I wanted the new update because of the better spell names) and the old one using just the menu overhaul (i don't think that adding anything else should stop it from working I just haven't tested it out). I think the reason this works might have to do with the load order. Anyway this should hold you over until this problem is fixed. 

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-01-08 00:25:02 »
You want to do the following to resolve this:
Open 7th Heaven> Workshop> Settings
Under FF7 exe, ensure that the FF7_bc.exe is used.

%ff7location%\FF7_bc.exe

Or... (not recommended)

Renaming the file ff7.exe to ff7.bak.exe and then renaming ff7_bc.exe  to ff7.exe will fix this.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-08 00:46:23 by M3nAc3 »

cloudsmash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2016-01-08 04:20:01 »
I don't have ff7_bc.exe in my FFVII directory.  Do I need to download it separately or should the tool be providing it?

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-01-08 04:35:09 »
Okay that is an easy fix.

Give 7th Heaven Modding Tutorial a quick ready again, some things have changed. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0

Rename a Hard Drive to FF7DISC1.
OR
Rename a USB Flash Drive to FF7DISC1.
OR

Mount this blank ISO: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Q_AObuWRSXTy1DNnRwQWgySzA

Download and run FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe (This includes the ff7_bc.exe and others)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8p8wd0edcoehd60/FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe

7th Heaven 1.50 to ensure you're up to date http://www.mediafire.com/download/b11ag3vgm8baxjx/7thHeaven_1.50.zip

And ensure the subscription link is updated to iros://Url/http$pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dDBkYkDu

Pay attention to step 3

Once you have the latest stuff here, you should be good to with my previous post in editing the file path to lead to FF7_bc.exe.

And pay attention to the load order specified in step 5.

Let me know how you get on!
« Last Edit: 2016-01-08 04:39:55 by Ace »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2016-01-08 04:58:06 »

The .EXE doesn't have to only be named ff7.exe...any name will work, so long as the original name of the .EXE launched the game ok.

The problem was when you were launching ff7_bc.exe manually outside of 7H, rather than setting it's path in Workshop -> Settings -> FF7 Exe and clicking the "Launch Game" button inside 7H. Clicking that button is clearly stated in the Written Tutorial as the last thing to be done to play the game. Mistakes happen, it's ok. This process has a large learning curve, but is a breeze once everything is setup.

Please read the last quote of this post.

Update on my problems: For the time being I found a temporary fix for anyone who is having this problem. I used I old version of the menu overhaul from the last catalog, and installed it along side of the new version. I put the new version higher in the load order than the old one and set the new to use because (one of the main reasons I wanted the new update because of the better spell names) and the old one using just the menu overhaul (i don't think that adding anything else should stop it from working I just haven't tested it out). I think the reason this works might have to do with the load order. Anyway this should hold you over until this problem is fixed. 

This is not a fix, it's just a workaround. After you activate The Reunion - Beacause and click the OK button to exit out the Configure Mod window, you should see messages for compatibility. At that point everything that may cause conflicts has been disabled and grayed out. Can't provide you any support if you're going to continue to use mods from the old Catalog. That MO was from The Reunion R02x, which had some misalignment issues with the windows that are now fixed with The Reunion R03e being used in Catalog 2.0.

Please read the last quote of this post.

I don't have ff7_bc.exe in my FFVII directory.  Do I need to download it separately or should the tool be providing it?

What needs to be done for everyone is to change your Workshop -> Settings -> FF7 Exe to launch with ff7_bc.exe. This will load up Beacause edits in the .EXE, but it will work with MO. I forgot add into the new Game Converter the updated ff7.exe that is produced from installing Reunion R03e with everything unchecked. It's my fault, I will patch it this weekend and report here when it's uploaded.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-08 05:27:33 by EQ2Alyza »

cloudsmash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-01-10 01:21:24 »
What needs to be done for everyone is to change your Workshop -> Settings -> FF7 Exe to launch with ff7_bc.exe. This will load up Beacause edits in the .EXE, but it will work with MO. I forgot add into the new Game Converter the updated ff7.exe that is produced from installing Reunion R03e with everything unchecked. It's my fault, I will patch it this weekend and report here when it's uploaded.

You're awesome, thanks!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2016-01-10 01:39:54 »
In case anyone here missed my update post for Menu Overhaul: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16619.0

cloudsmash

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2016-01-10 16:33:06 »
It works, woohooo!! Thanks for the quick turnaround!  I ended up doing a fresh FF7 install to get it working.  For whatever reason, when I just tried to overwrite the existing game converter, any changes I made to the OpenGL configuration would not take hold at game launch, I tried custom GL Config as well to no avail, not sure what went wrong there.  Regardless, a fresh install took care of that problem and got the Menu OH working beautifully!