Author Topic: Is it possible to shrink a model using the 4098 battle address  (Read 2575 times)

james_c

• View Profile
Hello guys,

I'm trying to make a battle where the boss behaves differently depending on how "big" or "small" another actor is. I've generally not had any trouble with scripting but I'm encountering some erratic behavior.

Basically:

I can increase the size of models just fine with:

12 2060
11 4098
02 2060
01 4098
60 08

This works fine. When the conditional triggers (7 turns pass), this execute and the model size grows. Now I also want the model size to decrease by 8 (up to two times) whenever the actor is struck by a magical attack. So I put this in the magic counter section:

12 2060
11 4098
02 2060
01 4098
60 08

Now the problem is for some reason -- The monster's size STILL increases even though the 4098 address is being set to a smaller number. This always seems to happen, even if I directly set the 2060.4098 to 8, the model size increases instead of decreases when a magic attack is triggered.

Any idea what could be causing this?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I ran into this issue when I created this little mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRj5wr-iwqA

It doesn't seem like the "get smaller" function works correctly. Increasing in size is only used by bombs and grenades and nothing ever gets smaller. Decreasing in size may not work at all. You're the second person interested in making actors smaller (unless you're the same person ???) in the past few weeks and I couldn't help him either even though the theory should be correct. I'll check it out soon.

james_c

• View Profile
Yeah, I noticed that (as shown in your video) eventually the actor in question will get super large and revert back to their original size (or even smaller). I'm not sure what threshold this happens at (I know the int is treated as signed, but setting it to say 128 - 255 doesn't seem to do anything at all). Even if I could just get the actor to revert to a small size via bad assignment it would probably work, I'd just have to shift the boss mechanic from "manage the size of these gravity fields" to "destroy them before they get too big"

I'm not the same person as any other forum user to the best of my knowledge. =p

This would be a really nice way to make complex boss mechanics visual.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-28 19:41:06 by james_c »