Author Topic: Thinking of Making a Roses and Wine Lossless Version  (Read 478 times)

Ozaki

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
As an audiophile I'm not happy with lossy audio, regardless of what some people say about lossless taking it up too much space. With 8TB HDDs running less than $300, and sometimes less than $200, that just doesn't fly anymore. Before I start tracking down CDs, will replacing the .ogg files in RaW with .wav or .flac files be sufficient to get a lossless version done? Or (as I suspect) would it be somewhat more complicated?

DLPB

• No life
  • My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye.
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of Making a Roses and Wine Lossless Version
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-18 19:41:10 »
Ultimately, though, it's a waste of time.  FF7 audio is not a piece of classical music.  The difference between an uncompressed version and ogg at 192kbit/s (especially with this kind of audio)  is absolutely negligible. It's doubtful you'd notice a difference, and a blind test would surely confirm that. It's not just about "space"  - it's about whether you can hear a difference.  To hear a difference you'd have to be a. one of the very few people who have the potential to b. have great audio set up, especially good speakers c. in a good biological age range.  The older you are, the worse audio is going to be - especially the higher frequencies. And even then, the difference is going to be small and subjective.

So, that said, is it really worth it? 

If you think it is, there's still a problem.  Looping audio requires a LOOPSTART tag in the metadata... and I only support it for oggs.  So you;re stuffed either way, unless you want to start creating ogg files with a higher bitrate.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • No life
  • The Great Redarr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-09-18 22:24:26 »
THEORETICALLY you can put other audio formats into an ogg container. People usually assume by default that OGG means vorbis, but it doesn't have to. So assuming that limitation is on the container and not the codec, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-09-18 23:14:05 »
Yeah, I think the meta would have to just be in the container.

Ozaki

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-09-19 02:35:23 »
I notice a difference in sound quality between the rips and my bootleg CDs, so it's worth the effort to me for the length of time spent playing the game if nothing else. If I'm reading the comments correctly the only thing that would need to be done is to open the .ogg files in an audio editor, delete the audio stream, replace it with the FLAC audio stream and export as OGG-FLAC with the original metadata. Am I missing something/oversimplifying?
« Last Edit: 2017-09-19 02:43:49 by Ozaki »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-09-19 05:01:41 »
flac won't work.  It has to be wav.  And im not sure roses and wine / bass will support using ogg container with wav.

Ozaki

• Fast newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-09-20 02:10:20 »
Now I'm just looking for a way to make a few ogg WAVs to test this out and see if it works. Tracking down a how to for sticking a WAV into an ogg container has been more challenging than I would have thought.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-20 12:13:21 by Ozaki »