Author Topic: FF8 - Seifer Gunblade Glowing effect  (Read 2308 times)

smalldirt

• View Profile
FF8 - Seifer Gunblade Glowing effect
« on: 2017-10-28 10:53:36 »
Hey,

I was trying to replace Seifer's No mercy Limit break with his disc 3 ability Bloodfest, after replacing the animation ID with the awesome Doomtrain tool, and adding the missing animations, (since the Bloodfest ability animation ID doesn't contain the character & weapon animations) it seemed to be working except one thing. The green sword glowing ( similar to Kiros and Squalls) effect didn't appear on his gunblade.
After testing few battles it seems it's scripted to appear always on the 2nd enemy on the battle field, and since there are many battles with only 1 enemy, it sometime causes the game to crash.

1) I checked the mag250 file which is related to the ability but didn't find anything about the sword glowing (Tim textures mostly)
2) I found the section related to the ability in the exe at offset (Steam version)
     x105D2B0 - x105D4DC - contains camera data  :-\
     x105D4DC - x105D6B0 - sound effects  :-\
     x105D6B0 -  texture palettes? nothing about the green light for sure  :-\

Can someone please help me out with this problem, would really appreciate it.  :-D  :-D  :-D

Here are links to a video and screenshots representing the problem  ???

https://imgur.com/a/KzVzn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDqKWyGCB7c  (at 0:21 u can see the glowing under the bird)
« Last Edit: 2017-10-28 11:18:33 by smalldirt »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 - Seifer Gunblade Glowing effect
« Reply #1 on: 2017-12-28 12:01:09 »
My database is from 2000 release, but that shouldn't be problem to finally port it to Steam. Anyway:
Bloodfest is magic 210, has no FL class, but tend to load texture from constant data at 01470DC4:

Just to inform- your case is quite difficult. This might be special effects that none of us actually reversed so far.
Do you remember any magic that use some similar effect like this?

EDIT: Are you sure we are talking about MAG_210?

I used magic 200 instead, this one has intense green glow effect. I'm reversing it right now.

.text: 00693374 - loads battle.fs file 232 - MAG199_a.DAT; still glow effect

Grr.. I can't find it...

Magic shit is mostly working on BdLinkTask. Forced one looped BdLinkTask to retn, still glow effect.

Completely randomly found Stage disappear script at 571230

FOUND IT

As I was afraid- it's on BdLinkTask. Address: 0063A0A0.
Called by MAG_200_NO_MERCY+335

It's a huge class, but finally we know what to reverse

It is called every frame when glow effect is active
« Last Edit: 2017-12-28 12:49:06 by Maki »