Off-topic forums > Completely Unrelated

Linux n00b. Please gentle.

(1/7) > >>

NERV Agent:
After dealing with the nightmare of Windows 10, I've decided to finally switch to Linux.

Next week I'm finally gonna get my hands on my new Dell laptop that uses Ubuntu Linux 16.04.

But I got some questions, hopefully not too many as I hope to get the thing up and running in one week.

My most important question is: What is the best firewall, antivirus, and anti-spyware for this OS?

Also, how do I install programs that I downloaded from places other than the Ubuntu Software Centre? I know it involves a command line, but I doubt its the same Windows command line of "CD [directory]" "[installer].exe", etc. I've been looking up some YouTube videos and the only clue I have is "sudo" something.

Is WINE already included with this OS, or do I have to install it?

Also, are there built in media players into the OS already that let me listen to music and watch videos? If not, what Ubuntu Linux media players should I download and install?

I also plan on using VMware to run a Windows XP virtual machine as some sort of "training wheels" until I get used to Linux. Is it preferable to emulate the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows XP?

nfitc1:
This'll be a "test your rememberance of Linux" for me so I might not get it all right.

Firewall/antivirus/anti-spyware....I never considered it for Linux. Most viruses were designed with Windows in mind so it targets the registry. Linux has no registry (at least not in the way Windows does) and is WAY less vulnerable since running almost anything that could harm your data takes at least one additional approval from the admin. Linux has a lot of built-in firewall configuration settings that you don't have to fight the OS to set any of it. Spyware is browser specific (usually) and I never got any.

I believe the command for adding repositories is "sudo add-apt-repository <repo DNS>" to add a location to search for apps from. Then "sudo apt-get <app name>" to install. Linux does the rest.

WINE is not included with an approved Ubuntu distro. You can, of course, get it separate from central I think. I do think that it will come with a few compilers though. Mostly C++ and Java. If you want more there are probably dozens in central.

There are media players in most if not all varieties of Linux, especially personal editions. I would recommend VLAN for all users for media. I think there is a Linux flavor of it.

I don't think you can "train yourself off" of Windows. You'll have to take the plunge and sink or swim. You can emulate either version you wish, however. But don't expect the VM to have much power over the system. You might want to keep the VM if you plan to use Office products. I'm not certain if WINE will handle those or not. Especially the recent ones. Though if you're emulating XP the best you'll probably be able to get is Office 2003.

Be prepared to use lots of third-party hardware drivers since most companies don't keep their Linux drivers up to date. By nature of Linux, most of it is open source so the communities have modified the drivers for their specific configurations.

NERV Agent:

--- Quote from: NFITC1 on 2018-06-17 02:48:34 ---I believe the command for adding repositories is "sudo add-apt-repository <repo DNS>" to add a location to search for apps from. Then "sudo apt-get <app name>" to install. Linux does the rest.
--- End quote ---

If the installation file is on my computer do I just put "127.0.0.1/[directory or install file]" in place of the <repo DNS>? If so, would I use the IP address 127.0.0.1 or the actual IP my ISP gives me?

On another note, I have some USB sticks that use Window's BitLocker Drive Encryption to protect my personal files whenever I transfer files between PCs. Can I still open and save to these encrypted USB sticks in Linux? Or would it require a separate program that I need to download?

sl1982:
This may be able to help
https://superuser.com/questions/376533/how-to-access-a-bitlocker-encrypted-drive-in-linux

nfitc1:

--- Quote from: NERV Agent on 2018-06-17 21:44:08 ---If the installation file is on my computer do I just put "127.0.0.1/[directory or install file]" in place of the <repo DNS>? If so, would I use the IP address 127.0.0.1 or the actual IP my ISP gives me?
--- End quote ---

I do know it would NOT use your ISP's IP. I think most things you'd want to install would already be in some repo somewhere else. If you download an install file it should self install (through double-clicking or just running from the terminal) without needing apt-get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version