Author Topic: Nintendo Wii ( 56k Warning )  (Read 15277 times)

VincentVal

• View Profile
Nintendo Wii ( 56k Warning )
« on: 2006-06-03 00:07:28 »
How many people here think that the Wii will make it in the market? I think that it will sonsidering what features it offers, including the optional features...

These are real!

M0T

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii ( 56k Warning )
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-03 00:21:29 »
I am definatly buying one, looks like one of the most fun consoles for years. If they sell it for cheap enough they will shift them by the boxload.

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-03 00:25:19 »
Yeah, I also like the feature that will let you download games from Nintendo's 20 year past! Imagine playing Super Mario Bros with that thing!

Sad Jari

« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-03 00:34:58 »
These are real!
...photoshops, except the first one.

Not only do they look painfully bad 'shops (black & aluminum pedals, gun that nobody could use thanks to the massive handle and tiniest trigger guard in the world...), but also in the real Wii-mote the power button is round.

This looks like it could be a genuine gun using the Wii-mote as part.

How will Wii do? It looks promising, so far.

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-03 00:39:38 »
I'm also buying one. Been a Nintendoid for as long as I game. (Although I use my PC more nowadays)

Still, Nintendoid or not, this console is going to be sweet. And 400 euro less than PS3. Might buy that one too, once it's dropped in price. Because after seeing the MGS4 trailer, it got very difficult to not want to have one...

I'm not even considering Xbox360. Although XboxLive is good.

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-03 00:52:37 »
The Wii wins.  And since when did the price for the PS3 drop?

Source please?

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-03 00:56:57 »
And since when did the price for the PS3 drop?

Source please?

It hasn't dropped. I said "once it's dropped".

Source: The post above yours.

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-03 00:58:35 »
These are real!
...photoshops, except the first one.

Not only do they look painfully bad 'shops (black & aluminum pedals, gun that nobody could use thanks to the massive handle and tiniest trigger guard in the world...), but also in the real Wii-mote the power button is round.

This looks like it could be a genuine gun using the Wii-mote as part.

How will Wii do? It looks promising, so far.

Think about this. THOSE WERE THE BETA CONTROLLERS! That means they ARE real, the Gun one is fake, I found that out after posting but yes, they my have changed but this was back in the revolution days

Sad Jari

« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-03 01:03:17 »
Think about this. THOSE WERE THE BETA CONTROLLERS! That means they ARE real, the Gun one is fake, I found that out after posting but yes, they my have changed but this was back in the revolution days
*sigh*

Source?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-03 01:12:35 »
Check out this IGN article. Note the bottom paragraph, right below the "classic" shell attachment where it says
Nintendo has not yet released official imagery of what the controller shell might look like. However, we've created a mock-up (above) based on what we know of its functionality.
Therefore, AT LEAST one of the controllers you posted is definitely a fake.

Sad Jari

« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-03 01:24:27 »
Therefore, AT LEAST one of the controllers you posted is definitely a fake.
Yep. It's pretty obvious if you take a closer look; whoever shopped it didn't remember that the things on the GC-style cradle should also cast shadows. He did remember to add one over the Wii-mote, but screwed up direction even with that. Look how the round part of the cradle casts shadow on the upper side too? Compare it to the very short shadows on the Wii-mote - indicating that the light is coming almost from straight over it, little bit to the front and left.

The fishing one is just lousy shopping; people don't seriously think that if there was a fishing controller the... what-do-you-call-it would look like it's taken straight out of real fishing reel? Again the light is interesting; it's hard to say for sure, but it doesn't look like it's coming from the same direction.

And the wheel... wanna bet that if we looked around for a bit, we would find the exact same pedals... belonging to some other wheel? :P
« Last Edit: 2006-06-03 01:27:13 by Sad Jari »

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-03 02:57:25 »
It hasn't dropped. I said "once it's dropped".

Source: The post above yours.
Oh... Sorry... I misread what you said I though you said "since it's dropped"

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-03 05:46:42 »
The numerous polls I have seen on numerous gaming sites note that the Wii has over 50% popularity among gamers who visit those sites, while the PlayStation 3 is next at around 18% and the Xbox 360 is bottom, at usually around 10%.

Some claim that those sites don’t represent the majority of consumers, which is true.
Those sites only represent the gamers who are “hardcore” enough to going online to look at video-game related information.

The majority of the console market is casual, and a huge fraction of that are mommies and daddies who buy for their kids, especially at Christmas), and of course would never even see these polls much less vote.

Does that mean the polls are inaccurate?  Yes.
Does that mean the Wii numbers should be lower?
No.
Considering that the largest share of consoles are sold to casual gamers, the PlayStation 3 would be performing even worse, because how many mommies and daddies are willing to spend $600 on a game system for little Timmy?
How many “independant” teenagers can save enough allowance to buy one for themselves?
How many older teens, with a slightly more “hardcore” feel can save enough of their part-time checks, while paying for rent and college (if applicable)?
This on top of the fact that polls show that 88% of the people who were “hardcore” enough to vote still think it is overpriced.
Then add that the fact that there are cheaper alternatives with quite-appealing features, recognizable characters, and a more family-oriented attitude.

Xbox 360 has been out for a while, but I really don’t hear anything about it.
No one really talks about it, and I rarely hear about any new games coming out on it.

Wii isn’t even out yet and I hear people talking about it, its games, and its features constantly.

I also hear more and more people talking in disgust about Sony’s sex-and-violence attitude, and one source told me it is so bad that Sony has begun changing some of their policies on what games are allowed on their system, and including a parentile locking system (which may play favorites with the parents, but A: kids won’t like that and B: parents are hardly willing to spend $600 on a toy for their kids, much less so if the kids won’t like it).

This is definitely the generation for Nintendo, without contest.

My personal opinion, however, is that they will need to rely less on motion detection in the future.
People are excited about it now, and of course it will be fun at first, but eventually people are just going to be tired of waving their arms to play games.
Most gamers are quite content packing their friends into a small space and relaxing with the controller in hand.
And there are many times people want to play their favorite games in bed relaxing, not leaning forward and waving their arms everywhere.

It also won’t attract the market they are trying to get.
Nintendo is of course family-oriented, but how many of your mothers would take this type of gameplay seriously?
Oh yes, they will definitely try it out.
But to them it will forever be a gimick.  They may try it a few times, but ultimately they are going to feel ridiculous.

Though Nintendo is definitely the most adaptable among the three, and they will probably handle this situation correctly.
The focus is on motion detection now, but they, as well as you, should realize the importance of having an abundance of normal games.

L. Spiro

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-03 09:01:02 »
Im getting one. However before the Nintendo Press Conference at E3, I wasnt.... I dont know what changed for sure...but I love it now :S

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-06-03 13:01:17 »
I dunno yet...I wanted to get a PS3, that's what I am hoping for, but it might be just too expensive...

The Wii does look semi-interesting to me, though.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-03 15:16:51 »
Frankly, I'm interested in the Wii for a few main reasons:
  • Lowest Price is especially appealing to somebody with my income.
  • Some classic games may be available on XBLA, but it seems Virtual Console will have a better selection.
  • Developers are intrigued by the Wiimote, so it will probably have good 3rd party support.
  • Twilight Princess

Apart from that, I've always been a firm supporter of Nintendo's belief that it is about the games, not the graphics.

rmco2003

« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-03 15:25:24 »
My main concern with their latest console is will it be worth buying, my gamecube is gathering dust in a box somewhere, and I haven't even touched it for at least a year in favour of the games on the PS2, if this seems to happen on the Wii I doubt I'll be buying one, also I can't really get to grips with using a remote as a controller, what's that all about? :-o

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-03 15:51:01 »
zIt to immerse you into the game, it is motion sensitive, if your playing Zelda, Swing the controller and your sword goes flying! 007, Use it as a gun! there are endless possibilities, Like in DK jungle beat, grab two and use them as drumsticks!

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-03 16:00:49 »
zIt to immerse you into the game, it is motion sensitive, if your playing Zelda, Swing the controller and your sword goes flying! 007, Use it as a gun! there are endless possibilities, Like in DK jungle beat, grab two and use them as drumsticks!

I'm not sure if that really appeals to me...

In the Nintendo 64 version, anyway, I was quite content to just hit "B" and swing my sword, rather than look like a fool, swinging a controller around.

Of course, I'm sure that the controller-sword will just be an accessory and that you can just use the regular controller instead, but that isn't exactly a selling point that Nintendo would capture me on as far as buying the Wii is concerned.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-03 16:09:13 »
I'm not sure you swing it in the new zelda game as a sword. You use it for fishing, which is very much an improvement over the fishing method used in OoT, and you can use it for more precise aim with arrows and hookshots, but I don't think you use it for the sword.

I like the controller partly because it's capable of a level of precision that wasn't possible with an analog stick.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-06-03 16:10:57 »
I really meant it as a general thing--not just the sword, but I'd rather sit back and press buttons as opposed to having to move around a whole lot.

Fishing was easy for me; aiming was easy for me; heck, that entire game was easy.

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-06-03 17:04:18 »
Note, the top controiller is a plugin to the remote, you can play any game you want the classic way of course, but take a look here

rmco2003

« Reply #22 on: 2006-06-03 18:07:53 »
I suppose but I'd prefer if it was a standalone without requiring to plugin to the remote, I don't like the sound of having the remote dangling off to one side whilst I use the controller, or the fact that it's a wired plugin.

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-06-03 20:02:38 »
Well, its still wireless, a step berrer then the NES days...

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-06-03 20:26:08 »
You do swing it in Twilight Princess.  But it doesn't require a great amount of movement to slash with your sword... And I'm pretty sure you don't do a compluete circle or anything to do one of those slashes... otherwise the guy on stage would have been flying everywhere.