Author Topic: Qhimm.com Foreign Counterpart?  (Read 10698 times)

Tsetra

• View Profile
Qhimm.com Foreign Counterpart?
« on: 2008-01-03 10:15:32 »
I realize that technically there's more to this forum than Final Fantasy VII and VIII, but ultimately those two games are it's main draw. With Final Fantasy VII being such a big deal, I find it kinda off to think that at least the Japanese don't have a website with people doing the exact same thing as is happening here. Obviously there are a few Japanese forum users here, and Qhimm.com is not associated with any country, but surely there is a Japanese equivalent? As I cannot speak a word of their language, it wouldn't do me any good, but I'm curious to know if there are any similar websites to this one in a foreign language - be it Japanese or otherwise.

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
Re: Qhimm.com Foreign Counterpart?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-07 12:46:51 »
If you cant speak a word in japanese then why do you wanna know about other sites in japanese?^^Sounds kinda contradictive

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-07 15:34:52 »
Maybe he's just interrested?

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-08 05:56:01 »
If you cant speak a word in japanese then why do you wanna know about other sites in japanese?^^Sounds kinda contradictive

The language barrier has never stopped me, one can always use a translator service or hover links to navigate. I simple find it strange that the Japanese, of all people, wouldn't have also released patches and programs similar to the ones found here. If that's the case, wouldn't it be worth knowing about their existence?  :wink:

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-08 06:20:59 »
There isn't

What we are doing is illegal in Japan. There are no "fair use" rights there, and the open dissection of copyrighted material could get you a visit by the police. I made a post on 2Channel in the Square section about Q-Gears once and got darn near assaulted and "sage-ed" off the BBS.

Also it would seem Japanese otaku don't appreciate us "destroying" FF7.

That's why

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-08 16:28:52 »
Ah, now that's making some sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to look up their laws now on copyright issues since I'm curious.
Haha, now I kinda wonder if the fellas over in Hong Kong have done anything to FF7.

As for "otaku"... <Rant and Spoilers>
It's my personal opinion that Square has already destroyed some of the really good points of the game just to make their new spin-offs seem more extravagant. Lots of little things, like how now the canon is supposedly that Sephiroth jumps off the bridge instead of Cloud throwing him, that sort of thing. Advent Children also make Cloud seem WAY more feminine than the game ever did. Hell even though he cross-dressed in the game, he still seemed more masculine. Not to mention down-playing Cloud's complete ownage of Sephiroth at the end. I'm by no means a Cloud fanboy, but his original story, when you take away all the crap that came afterwards, was one of a kind, and you can ask anyone who played Final Fantasy VII but grew out of games shortly afterward and they'll tell you that Cloud is badass. Betcha they wouldn't think so if they saw what's happened to him since. Again I must stress I'm not trying to make Cloud seem super cool, but the fact is he is the centerpiece of the game and therefore a lot of it's appeal depends on him.
Which takes me to an even more abstract direction, which the thought of a FF7 remake on the PS3. Admittedly, I thought it would be cool at first. But then I got to thinking about the above paragraph and realized it'd be completely different than the FF7 we all know and love, unless they decided to ignore everything else. Superficially it'd be very similar, but a lot of that essence would be gone.
Now don't get me wrong, I think the spin-offs are perfectly fine... on their own. I enjoyed most of what I've seen thus far, but cutting into the original canon though was pointless. There's better ways to make the bad guy seem more powerful than saying "Oh, well actually, the main characters weren't as good as we made you think they were in the game..."

Well this is flying all over the place. The point of this long winded whatever was, if anyone is disrespecting the original game, it's Square-Enix themselves who, as I understand it, barely have any of the original people working on this big compilation of it. I'm sure if one were to swap release dates for FF7 and FF8, the former would look a lot like it does now with the high-res, NPC-RP, etc. These are just my opinions and I expect plenty of people to disagree with them. But, as President Shinra would have put it (Or Heidegger perhaps), the otaku can flush their problems with the rest of their crap in the morning.

</Rant and Spoilers>
« Last Edit: 2008-01-08 16:33:43 by Tsetra »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-08 18:40:24 »
Just to help put you to ease about Squenix's direction with FF7,  they fixed the the part about Sephiroth willfully jumping into the reactor.  In Crisis Core he is once again tossed in by Cloud.  And if I'm not mistaken, Last Order was written and drawn by a third party with their take on the story, and Square just copied and pasted it into the FF7 universe.

I have also played Crisis Core, and it is very in keeping with the original FF7 and very worthy of the name.  I think Cloud in Advent Children was supposed to be feminine and show his feelings because the story was based around him being unable to let Aerith go and accept her death.  And also everyone in the world had geostigma which basically made everyone pissed and sad. lol

I have to agree that I have my doubts about a remake.  If they simply upgraded the video and audio of the game and left everything else intact it would be fine... maybe a few voices in the more important scenes.  Maybe add something on the disc that allows you to play the original game with translation fixes.  But I have a fear they'll start adding in stories about people doing a "synaptic net dive" and Vincent's dad already had sex with Lucrecia also Vincent is in love with a 9 year old who wields dual lightsabers.  As long as the people responsible for Dirge don't touch the remake, I think it'll be great.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-10 20:30:14 »

some asian folks [not necessarily japanese] do amazing things with square games. take for instance the (most likely infamous) so called ffx international undub edition, (ffx international with japanese voice overs and english text, supposedly hacked together by some chinese ffx fans). even though it's illegal (even if you would own the english and japanese version of the game, it might still be illegal) it's an amazing feat to accomplish.

I have to agree that I have my doubts about a remake.  If they simply upgraded the video and audio of the game and left everything else intact it would be fine... maybe a few voices in the more important scenes.
i don't know, i would call that a total rip-off. just the way i feel about psx versions of ff5 and ff6. some fmv's here and there, and ... that's about it.

Hell even though he cross-dressed in the game, he still seemed more masculine. Not to mention down-playing Cloud's complete ownage of Sephiroth at the end.
you know what - every time i play the game i forget about that cross-dressing episode totally.

and yes, the movie is way too short to make a decent addition to the ff7 game. it just wouldn't work out, and i guess everybody felt it coming the closer it was to release. you just cannot stick an equivalent to final-fantasy-like storyline in 2 hour movie. so you think something simple, short, and hope fans are too busy with keeping up with the wowie-zowie fx to think about those shortcomings.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-10 20:34:49 by yoshi314 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-01-10 20:58:40 »
I have to agree that I have my doubts about a remake.  If they simply upgraded the video and audio of the game and left everything else intact it would be fine... maybe a few voices in the more important scenes.
i don't know, i would call that a total rip-off. just the way i feel about psx versions of ff5 and ff6. some fmv's here and there, and ... that's about it.
It is a rip-off, just like all the other re-releases they do, but if something's not broke don't fix it.  Just put a little bow on it and some glitter and re-release it.  But I think what makes games like Mario, Zelda, and older Final Fantasy's, so great and able to withstand the test of time is being able to use your imagination to decide what their voices are like, or what expressions they have during certain bits of dialog.  It allows you to add to the game experience.
To remake FF7 using all the technology we have now would make it a completely different game and experience.  It could make it a lot better or it could make it a lot worse.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-01-10 23:00:14 »
and yes, the movie is way too short to make a decent addition to the ff7 game. it just wouldn't work out, and i guess everybody felt it coming the closer it was to release. you just cannot stick an equivalent to final-fantasy-like storyline in 2 hour movie. so you think something simple, short, and hope fans are too busy with keeping up with the wowie-zowie fx to think about those shortcomings.

Yeah, I won't hold the fact that it's a movie against the series. For the most part, the action sequences seemed to make up for the lackluster storyline (assuming you're into Hong Kong cinema and completely unreal fight scenes). I just found the character "development" a joke, especially where everyone starts out at. I was also irritated at the fact that even though the movie was intended to fill plot holes, it created even more. First Tsurugi, Bahamut Sin's origin (I doubt there was Huge Materia in Cloud's chest at the church and I equally doubt the three stooges took a stroll to Cosmo Canyon...), among other things. Even with the novellas, we're still left with gaping plot holes.

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-01-21 06:42:16 »
man from reading this i completly forgot the topics title :O

well back off topic. man i get pissed off with all these rip offs they bring out. also the movie advent children was a rip off it was like a fucking 7 year old's film. to much fighting no story.  :-(

also no counter part. i think thats a shitty idea :P

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-01-21 16:43:10 »
also no counter part. i think thats a sh*tty idea :P

I wasn't suggesting one be made, I was asking if one was already created. I could be wrong but it seems to me that the Japanese seem to hoard their projects like this as opposed to freely sharing it. Even music, with a few exceptions such as S.S.H., seems to be sold or scattered wildly across their websites. OCRemix.jp? Not happening. But as Halkun suggested, this is likely due to copyright issues. It's a shame because you can stumble into pages and pages of hentai and crap, but no fan work.
Even so, while I was joking about Hong Kong butchering the game, I'm really surprised I haven't seen anything too notable come from there. At the very least, I'd think there would be some FF7 NES rom. Or "Final Fantasy VII-2", "Final Fantasy VII 100,001", "FF7DX"... well you get the point.

As for going off topic, it's the completely unrelated forum anyhow and the question has been mostly settled. I honestly don't care.

Myria kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-01-25 05:08:43 »
What we are doing is illegal in Japan. There are no "fair use" rights there, and the open dissection of copyrighted material could get you a visit by the police. I made a post on 2Channel in the Square section about Q-Gears once and got darn near assaulted and "sage-ed" off the BBS.
There's a Japanese magazine called ゲームラボ (GameLab) that openly discusses things like piracy and cracking of video games.  They have cheat codes all the time, and also have things like ROM hacks.  It probably is on the way out, since with asymmetric cryptography, game hacking is basically impossible on the current console generation.

In the US, such a magazine couldn't exist due to the certainty of a lawsuit.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #13 on: 2008-02-12 05:40:00 »
Quote from: halkun
There isn't

That's why
Then I better stop using my “Something Something VII Online” as résumé work for Japan.
In fact I might find it difficult just to stay there at all if I can’t hack…

Quote from: Myria kitty
It probably is on the way out, since with asymmetric cryptography, game hacking is basically impossible on the current console generation.
Haven’t kept up with the console scene but I doubt game hacking will ever be out.  Maybe they just need better tools. 
Besides, game protection costs money (unless I am just that outdated).  Maybe the large companies are willing to shell it out but there will always be hackable games, even if they aren’t always the ones you want to hack.

L. Spiro

Master Ridley

• Space Pirate Supreme Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-04-17 10:26:00 »
also Vincent is in love with a 9 year old who wields dual lightsabers.

She's 20 if I correctly recall with the body of a 10 year old.
There isn't

That's why

Unfortunately, that's one of the things I dislike about Japan!

And how is "Upgrading" is "Destroying" FF7 is BS but I guess these Otakus fear change! I don't see how it's destroying FFVII…

jack.o.lantern

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-05-28 18:49:38 »
The girl in Advent Children is 19, she didn't grow since the time she was altered by Shinra, I think.

Surprisingly enough, I've found that the Japanese internet is much less... sophisticated? detailed? than the English net. Most of the sites you visit have very simplistic layouts, just black text on a coloured background and no menu or anything to speak of. Video game websites usually contained a few glitches and walkthroughs, as well as game news and discussion. You never see anything like Qhimm or the GSCentral forums.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-06-09 13:49:46 »
It's funny to note that since my last post in this topic, a Chinese FF7 NES ROM has surfaced, I've located a VII-2 (in animation form, at least), and some other fun little gems have appeared.

Final Fantasy VII NES ROM info and download:
http://cinnamonpirate.com/blog/507/
http://tszone.ys168.com/ (Go FC Roms > Look for "VII". You need to use internet explorer)

Final Fantasy VII-2 + Other FF7 related stuff:
http://thetong.exteen.com/20070625/final-fantasy-vii-2
http://thetong.exteen.com/20070620/lowpolygon-01-cloud-ffviiac
http://thetong.exteen.com/20070622/lowpolygon-vincent
http://thetong.exteen.com/20070703/final-fantasy-tactics

Hey it isn't Qhimm but if you haven't seen this stuff it's good for half an hour of amusement.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-09 13:59:06 by Tsetra »

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-06-09 17:20:56 »
Haha I found that video of FF7-2 on youtube by total fluke, I love it when Tifa and Vincent walk away and, I also like Cloud's Fenrir limit. :-)

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008-06-11 06:53:15 »
I agree with you about Advent Children, Tsetra. :P