Author Topic: Aeris vs. Aerith in the Voice-Over Project  (Read 26443 times)

auxili160

• View Profile
Re: Aeris vs. Aerith in the Voice-Over Project
« Reply #25 on: 2008-06-16 08:37:45 »
Default text is Aeris. If Aerith is up for debate, then other character names should be as well, right? That's why I brought Nanaki up, cause it's a vastly superior name to RedXIII (though it may be awkward hearing "Nanaki is Nanaki!" at Cosmo Canyon, lol. :P).

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #26 on: 2008-06-16 08:54:54 »
It doesn't matter how you name him, the guy at the gate will always say that :P

It's something like:
 - Who is Nanaki?
 - Nanaki is Nanaki.

I'd vote for Nanaki too, though :P Not that it'd matter if the plot already decided for me.

To avoid the OT: Aeris.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008-06-16 09:51:30 »
Ah, that actually makes sense since he wouldn't know what you named him. :P
I haven't named Nanaki "RedXIII" in ages, so I dunno what the actual text is. :P

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008-06-16 19:41:38 »
I believe (but don't quote me) that a "TH" sound, is pronounced as an "S" sound in Japan, so it's been Aeris everywhere.

Just like Rinoa from 8.  Linoa/Rinoa.

Again, don't quote me.  (Usually when I say things like this, I make a huge ass of myself.)

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008-06-16 20:29:59 »
That's true. Engrish kinda makes pronouncing Aeris as AeriTH self-defeating.

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008-06-16 22:29:18 »
just throwin this out there, but wikipedia has Aerith Gainsborough as the character name when describing events of the game

Synergy Blades

« Reply #31 on: 2008-06-16 22:34:13 »
Not in the article on her, it doesn't - it uses Aeris in the section on the events of the game and Aerith anywhere else. It also uses Aeris in the article on Final Fantasy VII, too.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-16 22:35:47 by Synergy Blades »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008-06-16 22:39:59 »
I rename her Aerith everytime I play, just like I rename Red XIII "Nanaki".

An argument for "Aerith" could be that that's the name used for her in Crisis Core.

I don't particularly care which is going to be used, I guess it all depends on whatever the preference of the directors or voice actors is/are, although if theres gonna be some kind of vote on it, I'd vote for Aerith. I'm just glad that there's going to be voices!

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008-06-16 22:55:25 »
No matter if you name her with an S or TH, it's pronounced AERIS either way, not AERITH.

Therefore, the voice over guys can call her whatever they want, whether it be Aeris or Aerith, but it's going to be pronounced Aeris either way.

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008-06-17 05:17:11 »
I believe in my opinion that since the original game was in Japanese, with the intention of a resemblance of earth as the original idea, being a purist I believe that it should be Aerith.  On a side note there is no 'th' sound in Japanese, so they replace it with 'ス' or 'su' and because of that there are many mistranslations.  I hope don't have to tell you examples since you probably already know the mistakes mentioned in this thread http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg92311#msg92311.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008-06-17 19:28:01 »
No matter if you name her with an S or TH, it's pronounced AERIS either way, not AERITH.

Therefore, the voice over guys can call her whatever they want, whether it be Aeris or Aerith, but it's going to be pronounced Aeris either way.

Look up some English Crisis Core videos.  Her official name is Aerith and it is officially pronounced with a 'th' and not an 's'.

Again my vote is still for Aerith since that is her name.  If we're going to stick with Aeris then I think the rest of the mistranslations should stay in as well.  Such as 'This guy are sick'.

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008-06-17 19:34:52 »
As I said before, I prefer Aerith also.
To settle it though, why wasn't this thread just made into a poll?  Would have made like a hell of a lot simpler.
Y'know, count the votes...

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008-06-17 19:37:24 »
I think a vote is a good idea if the people running the project are willing to incorporate that into game.

But in the end its up to them to decide whether a vote is worthwhile or not! I vote for a Vote!! ^_^

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008-06-17 19:56:44 »
Well they may as well cast a vote, if theyy are going to incorporate it, based on popularity of Aeris, and Aerith respectively, it makes sense to do a good old vote, just setting a close date, and using the final numbers as a result, use Aeris if Aeris wins, and Aerith if Aerith gets the most votes.  That way the majority is happy.

jack.o.lantern

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008-06-17 20:06:22 »
I'd be happy to use a poll if I could use polls on this board. This IS the vote, and it goes till we start recording Aeris lines. Which should be sometime tonight.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008-06-17 20:14:24 »
Yay, a poll! If Aeris wins, then they'll pronounce her name Aeris. If Aerith wins, they'll pronounce her name Aeris! Win-win situation.
Unless they're going to actually say Aerith, which is incorrect and sounds silly on top of that.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008-06-17 20:23:02 »
1. Aerith doesn't sound silly
2. Why are so many people against Aerith, when it was the name in the Japanese version, which if I'm not mistaken (could be) was the original version
3. Polls are easy to do on here
4. I guess it's a bitty late to do a real one, if the lines are to be started recording tonight

And just as an afterthought, how does ANYONE know if Aerith being pronounced Aerith is incorrect, as Auxili says, when the game is done WITHOUT voices, how do we not know that the original developers weren't thinking they want it pronounced Aerith instead of everyones beloved Aeris.

If there is proof, I retract this statement, and apologise for any inconvenience, and since I don't have a PSP, I dunno how it's pronounced in Crisis Core.  It was just an afterthought to this whole thing.

But just because one person likes it one way, and another the other, doesn't make either way wrong just because they don't like it.  Like how certain people pronounce that jackass Caith Sith as Cate Sith, and some people as Cat Sith.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008-06-17 21:29:57 »
AERIS/AERITH CONTROVERSY SETTLED

Also in Dirge of Cerberus I'm pretty sure they addressed him as Cait Sith pronounced "cate".  The only name up for debate is if Red XIII's name will be retconned.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008-06-17 21:34:30 »
Thank the gods I don't have to retract my previous statement. ;-)

Many thyanks Obesebear.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008-06-17 22:53:01 »
Popular vote is going for Aeris, and that's what I'm likely going to be using. But we'll keep this up I suppose a little while longer.

"Red XIII" is rarely spoken in the game, and in the few cases it is, jack.o.lantern and myself will likely come up with a substitute such as "Red" instead of "Red Thirteen", which sounds like a robot. His default name will remain the same, so in his captions you will see "Red XIII", but again when his name is actually spoken, we'll see about using something less clumsy.

There's a problem with this, however, and something everyone needs to consider. When Red XIII's name is spoken, it uses the {RED XIII} tag. In order to change what is spoken, it would have to be hard coded so that no matter what you name him, it will still come up simply "Red" or whatever. I'm personally not going to use Nanaki. The revelation of his real name is an original piece in the game, and to simply default him as "Nanaki" takes that away. It's safe to say we're open to suggestions on this, but Nanaki won't cut it.

On the other hand, at the time you acquire Red XIII as a party member, keep in mind to a new player he's still just this weird experiment creature, so Red XIII doesn't seem quite so stupid. It seems dumb if you already know him as Nanaki, son of Seto etc. But originally he starts out seemingly a strange experiment. Just something to keep in mind before dismissing "Red Thirteen."
« Last Edit: 2008-06-17 22:58:24 by Tsetra »

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008-06-17 23:09:39 »
Do you think it'd be possible to call him Red/Red Thirteen up until the point where you find out his name is Nanaki, and then have him be referred to as Nanaki from Cosmo Canyon onward?

If the Aeris/Aerith debate is settled... what's it settled on?

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008-06-17 23:13:33 »
He's referring to Crisis Core using Aerith and saying it as it looks. Personally Crisis Core doesn't mean shit to me, but - one man's opinion.

I'd like to be able to change his default name as you said. I can try messing with opcodes to see if there's a way to change it around once you get to Cosmo Canyon, but there might be more to it than just tinkering in Meteor. On that note, does anybody know where default names are stored? Is it in the menu system?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008-06-18 02:47:57 »
The default name is Aeris in the NA version, and Crisis Core's voice actors doesn't mean much to me, but I don't mind if people call her Aerith and pronounce it this way too. However, her name in game is Aeris. It could just be as simple as that. Her identity in the western world is "aeris", and there is nothing wrong with that. People think there is a huge problem with that, and they fight for Aerith, but I don't see the need.
Squeenix translated her name, and, as far as I'm concerned, her name to the western world SHOULD be Aeris, not the japanese world's 'Aerith'.

It would make more sense to settle on Aeris rather than try to respect the Japanese translation of the name and call her Aerith. The name was translated as Aeris, just as Sephiroth and such were. We aren't calling Sephiroth anything different.

Anyways, I like the idea of calling RedXIII "Red" up until Cosmo Canyon. Then everyone can call him Nananki (except for Cid as I remember him saying "Red" in AC, methinks. Also, him using a nickname would be more true to his character).

jack.o.lantern

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008-06-18 21:16:48 »
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's 12 to 5 for Aeris. I'm sending in Aeris' first lines now, so poll closed (there's no 'make a poll' option for posts on this board, I'm afraid...).

As for Red XIII, I don't mind saying the whole thing, but Red is a good nickname too. It might be useful to change depending on what the mood of the line is and how well you know the character at this point. "Hey, Red!" as opposed to "Hey, Red XIII!" for example.

The Cait in Cait Sith rhymes with the English name Kate. His Japanese name is ケット・シー (kaytto shii). If it was Cat Sith, it would be キャット・シー (kyatto shii).

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008-06-18 22:00:41 »
Totally agreed about Red, jack.o.

And I didn't know people pronounced Cait Sith "Kite Sith". I've always said "Kate Sith". It's how the word is pronounced.