Author Topic: Saga Frontier  (Read 5669 times)

Eroneous

Saga Frontier
« on: 2009-07-27 18:01:37 »
Firstly! I would like to apologize if this isn't the best place for this--feel free to unload as many containers of naphtha as you can spare if that is the case. (I'm somewhat flame-retardant.)

Secondly! Briefly introducing myself, I'm occasionally referred to as Eroneous Waylay, for reasons that remain unclear even to myself. Perhaps it has something to be with that being my most common 'net handle, but I'll let you use your 'sense' and 'logic' and all that rot. ^^ I've been, for some time now (and with a good bit of outside assistance, I might add) delving into the depths of Saga Frontier's infinite complexity--as any fan of the game knows, there's a lot hidden beneath the surface just begging to be revealed.

However, my own programming knowledge is...limited, to say the least. And that says nothing of my graphics knowledge, because frankly, I have next to none. I HAVE discerned the locations of sprites; however, no present editor exists that fully suits my needs (though in all honesty, the available tools do a well enough job that only minor edits are required afterward; so this is not such a tremendous concern.)

Before I go all long-winded and silly, I'm mostly just curious as to whether there's anyone interested in collaborating (read: NOT "will u do work 4 me plx?", I mean actually collaborate. I'm willing to put in all the effort I can muster, and will meet anyone interested more than halfway if possible) on such a thing as, perhaps, a way to extract backgrounds (field and in-battle).. since I've not a single clue in that department. Likesay, character sprites were fairly easy.. animations, et al. have not been. XD

Again, if I've misdirected this inquiry, I've a fully-working trebuchet in the back yard that you can use to fling the corpses of other misguided individuals my way, plague, decay, and all.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Saga Frontier
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-27 18:18:20 »
Hmmm...

General FF/Square topics belong here, along with stuff that doesn't quite fit in elsewhere

Yeah, I suppose this might be the best place for recruiting for a SaGa Frontier project  :-D

Unfortunately I won't be able to help, since I don't know anything about the game (I haven't even played it, let alone reverse engineered it :roll:). In any case, until you can get some people who are more useful than I am working on this, I think you should experiment with some basic FF7/8 modding with the help of the info on these forums and the wiki. At worst, you'll get used to playing around with the inner workings of games and get some general knowledge and skills that will be useful for modding others. At best, you'll learn something specific that you'll be able to apply to SaGa Frontier, since it might have a few things in common with the other Square RPGs of the late 90s.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-28 05:41:14 »
Post your sprite findings in Tech related. That'll be cool. I actually own a copy of SF and interested to see what they had as sprite data.

VanishedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-01 13:26:08 »
I HAVE discerned the locations of sprites

Including the NPC ones in the IMG files? (I look over your Agora and GameFAQs threads occasionally, but I don't keep very much up to date with what you're doing.) You don't mention PEP files on your other thread, but they're similar to CHR**.BINs, only with extra sections (I don't know what those do: animation data, maybe?); I think the CHR**.BINs are menu graphics, the .PEPs are regular field PC sprites.

a way to extract backgrounds (field and in-battle)

I haven't looked at the battle system, but regarding field backgrounds: I know the tile format and where the palettes are in IMGs, and I partly understand the way objects are displayed, the collision map and the field script. But only partly, and I don't yet know how tiles and palettes get assigned to objects. I can try to get around to editing my notes into something other-human-readable, given some time; I'm probably too often too busy to be a 'collaborator' per se.

If you're interested in the sound system, ask people here about Mr. Akao's approach to sound coding: SGF IMG files have AKAO strings, which indicates that the sound system probably works similarly to FFVII's. Not that I've actually checked.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-01 13:44:40 by VanishedOne »

VanishedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-01 13:40:00 »
Tifa and Cait's reels i believe were in there as well

In SaGa Frontier?

VanishedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-07 20:53:28 »
{Removed because I realised it would be better suited to Tech-Related.}
« Last Edit: 2009-08-07 21:00:11 by VanishedOne »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-08 05:58:12 »
yes, continue the discussion there.

jack.o.lantern

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-09-03 10:31:42 »
You might be interested in reading all the unused text that VanishedOne provided to me:

http://berriblue.blogspot.com/2009/03/saga-frontier-debug-text.html