Author Topic: FF7 strange crash at start...  (Read 7954 times)

Lunatic_High702

FF7 strange crash at start...
« on: 2008-08-06 18:04:05 »
Heya fellow FF fans. ive searched this forum and cant seem to find a solution to my particular problem and was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

so about a month ago i dug up my copy of FF7 from the depths of my closet and decided to load it up. patched it with 1.02 and the chocobo patch and it worked fine...for about a week, when it just decided to quit on me. When i try to run the game it hangs at a black screen for a second then crashes and i get a nice little error telling me that ff7.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I've tried reinstalling several times, always with maximum install and using the patches. tried dumping the movies to my HD and running them from there to no avail. Also tried different settings in the ff7Config.exe, but alas, no luck. TrueMotion support is disabled in K-Lite codec thingy  Any help would be appreciated  :-D

System Specs:
Ati Radeon X1650 Pro
Winblows XP

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: FF7 strange crash at start...
« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-06 18:08:20 »
Have you tried to run FF7 without any patch? And I mean any (not even 1.02, just a clean install).

Lunatic_High702

« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-06 18:09:43 »
yea, thats the first thing i tried....didnt work

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-06 19:59:05 »
Any detailed info on the crash? Faulting module (if it's ff7.exe then some info about the version would be useful), memory address?

Lunatic_High702

« Reply #4 on: 2008-08-06 21:04:29 »
it it helps any, heres the error signature from the report and this is from a crash with fresh, unpatched installation.

AppName: ff7.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: tm20dec.ax
ModVer: 1.0.0.1    Offset: 000015fa

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-08-06 22:13:14 »
It's the truemotion codec. Try installing the upside-down movie patch (link in the FAQ).

If it still crashes, uninstall the codec (start->run : "regsvr32 /u tm20dec.ax") and run FF7. If it's not crashing (it shouldn't) - one more time, install the codec from the InstallCD, and then the one from the FAQ, restart PC and run FF7.
« Last Edit: 2008-08-06 22:15:01 by dziugo »

Lunatic_High702

« Reply #6 on: 2008-08-06 23:54:23 »
Thanks for the help dziugo! :-D  I'll give that a shot when i get a chance and let you know if it doesnt want to work!

Many internets to you my good friend!  :-D for it has decided to work again and i can get back to saving the world!
« Last Edit: 2008-08-06 23:59:18 by Lunatic_High702 »

ryosaeba

« Reply #7 on: 2008-08-07 11:32:50 »
Hahah, good for you.

Have fun and don't forget to flirt some girls while saving the world.  :-D

0graham0

« Reply #8 on: 2008-09-04 13:13:52 »
Hi, I was having the same problem as lunatic high. I tried following dziugo's directions to no avail:

"If it still crashes, uninstall the codec (start->run : "regsvr32 /u tm20dec.ax") and run FF7. If it's not crashing (it shouldn't)"

When I unregister the truemotion codec FF7 runs fine, without any movies.

"one more time, install the codec from the InstallCD"

This may be where I may have gotten tripped up: I couldn't find the codec on the InstallCD, unless it is the option in AutoPlay, "Install Movie Player." Instead I installed the codec from here: http://codec.alshow.co.kr/page/en/true.htm

"and then [install] the [upside down movie patch] from the FAQ, restart PC and run FF7."

I downloaded and ran the patch from the FAQs, however I saw no install progress or confirmation (is this normal?) When the installer opens I click next, and then Yes for the software license, and the program closes down. I assumed this was a successful install, but maybe this is wrong?

I restart the computer and run ff7, getting a black screen which crashes and I recieve the same error with true motion as before.

On a related note: if I navigate to the movies folder on the cd Windows Explorer crashes when trying to load previews of the files. Also, if I try to open any of the files with windows media player, WMP will crash. I assume this all has to do with the same codec problems...

Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: 2008-09-04 15:27:03 by 0graham0 »

Fermy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-10-26 23:54:50 »
well after i killed the codec it still crashes for me... it runs fine on a desktop but not for my laptop. it ran on two of my laptops but not this one!