Author Topic: CLOUD IN SMASH BROTHERS  (Read 15098 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
CLOUD IN SMASH BROTHERS
« on: 2015-11-12 21:43:41 »
CLOUD IN SMASH BROTHER!!!!! VIDEO SOON!!!

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wah7AGkkzl4
« Last Edit: 2015-11-12 21:59:15 by Covarr »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: CLOUD IN SMASH BROTHERS
« Reply #1 on: 2015-11-12 21:49:49 »
Confirmed?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-11-12 21:53:46 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-12 21:59:20 by Covarr »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-11-12 22:08:21 »
I KNOW, LIKE WHAT THE FUDGE NINTENDO!

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-11-12 23:43:01 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:04:50 by dkma841 »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-13 00:26:08 »
That is actually the good 'ol Cloud, not the emo Cloud I was expecting. All gud!  :)

Never played any  of those games though...

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-11-13 00:40:50 »
We need Sephiroth and Roxas in next.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-11-13 03:13:52 »
That is actually the good 'ol Cloud, not the emo Cloud I was expecting. All gud!  :)

One of the biggest reasons I have not completely written off the FF7 remake is that he recent iterations of Cloud (specifically the new Dissidia and Nomura's drawing for Cloud's birthday) have been a lot less "emo" than the KH 1 & 2, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, Advent Children, and Crisis Core appearances. It gives me a little hope that he won't be moping around the entire game.

Back on topic: Apparently I have to abandon my usual go-to character of Roy/Ike because you know I can't resist anything FF7 related. I'm still waiting to see if NX has backwards compatibility (or is gonna go down the road of "remastering" Wii U games that I might as well just get on NX for the better performance, resolution, and probably controller) before I pick a Wii U up though, so I still have unfortunately not grabbed one.

It has been pretty tempting though, with Super Mario 3D World (Coop with family), Bayonetta 1 & 2, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wind Waker HD, Mario Maker, Twilight Princess HD (my least favorite Zelda but that's like saying my least favorite flavor of ice cream), New Zelda Wii U, Mario Kart 8, and of course Super Smash Bros Wii U. I guess I'm still stuck playing the waiting game...

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-11-13 10:09:59 »
It's weird to see Cloud in a Nintendo game. Wasn't VI the last numbered story on Nintendo? That being said, well done Nintendo. I think they've portrayed him well.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-11-13 13:51:26 »
It's weird to see Cloud in a Nintendo game. Wasn't VI the last numbered story on Nintendo?
It was, but Cloud has appeared both in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded on the GBA and DS respectively, so he is technically eligible for Smash, even if just barely.

ProtoX

« Reply #10 on: 2015-11-13 14:11:47 »
i was expecting ethier Cecil , Bartz, or Terra to be the picks for if any of the final fantasy icons were gonna be in smash

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2015-11-13 14:30:41 »
It's just a promotion for the FFVII remake. I'm not extremely excited about this and I still think Duodecim is the superior FF fighting game.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: 2015-11-13 14:44:27 »
One of the biggest reasons I have not completely written off the FF7 remake is that he recent iterations of Cloud (specifically the new Dissidia and Nomura's drawing for Cloud's birthday) have been a lot less "emo" than the KH 1 & 2, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, Advent Children, and Crisis Core appearances. It gives me a little hope that he won't be moping around the entire game.

In no way have I written in off either. I will most likely like it to some extent. That being said, I very confident it will not blow me away like it did back when I first played it. That's pretty much impossible. If SE manages to do that I'll eat my own boxers (worn for at least 3 days).

i was expecting ethier Cecil , Bartz, or Terra to be the picks for if any of the final fantasy icons were gonna be in smash

Cloud is by far the most popular though (as in well known). The choice is very understandable. Even people who have never played any FF could know who cloud is. Bartz? Cecil? Not so much.

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-11-13 15:59:44 »
In no way have I written in off either. I will most likely like it to some extent. That being said, I very confident it will not blow me away like it did back when I first played it. That's pretty much impossible. If SE manages to do that I'll eat my own boxers (worn for at least 3 days).

Gonna save this just in case ;)

As a smash fan to some extent, it's pretty cool that they managed to get FF character to smash U. As for balancing mechanics, I don't really like the limit break system, but it's cool though. Breaks the balancing IMO if characters have more "abilities" than others, for example Little Mac.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-11-13 20:26:22 »
That trailer was amazing, so are the Summons usable items?

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-11-13 21:06:51 »
That trailer was amazing, so are the Summons usable items?

I'd assume so, that or they're occasional stage events like the Yellow Demon in the Wiley's Castle stage.

There are little summon orbs that float around, picking them up brinks in the summon.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-14 10:58:58 by Tekkie.X »

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-11-14 13:07:30 »
Saw the trailer, and loved it.
Design-wise, this is what I would want from an FF7 remake. The summons, Midgar in the background, and Cloud - all faithful to the original design.

If this design is representative of what the remake is going to look like, then that would do tons for my confidence in it - however, it looks like a stretch compared to the remake teaser trailer. The cartoony/anime-ish look of Cloud in Smash Brother is probably a design they opted for to make Cloud blend with the rest of the cast, and the general style of that game.

As for the new Dissidia Cloud - I'm not sure how I feel about him, because his facial structure looks slightly different for each video they release of him.

Anyway - this is probably just a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" really clever marketing ploy - drawing FF7 fans eagerly awaiting the remake into Smash Brothers, while at the same time raising awareness among a new generation of Nintendo fans who don't know FF7, so that they might end up wanting to buy the remake when its released down the line.
I don't see this design meaning much of substance for the PS4 remake, nor this meaning that the remake will be released on the new Nintendo console.

The fact of the matter is that the system environment for Playstation consoles and Nintendo consoles are so far apart that using one development cycle to release a game of the scope of FF7:R on both consoles simply isn't feasible.
Maybe you could get a port down the line (long after the original release), but not on so short notice that it makes sense to add Cloud to Smash Brothers at this point in time.

I'd love to be wrong though. I've been looking for an excuse to ditch Sony for a long time now since pretty much all the games I'm interested in playing these days are on the 3DS, and if the remake were to come out on the new Nintendo system with the kind of style we see reflected in Cloud from Smash, then I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-11-14 17:09:16 »
@hian: Nomura said in an interview that the graphics are going to be very "realistic" so the "cartoony" look of Cloud will unfortunately probably not be in the remake. That being said, the exact design of Cloud in the remake trailer is almost certainly not representative of how he is going to look in the actual game. Supposedly that trailer was made by Visual Works in a very limited time frame that Nomura didn't have a lot of involvement in. He did say that the game is not going to have AC's visual style, which is good news IMO, but just how much different it will be from AC in style remains to be seen.

I am just hoping that with whatever graphical style they choose, they opt to make Cloud into the bad@$$ he originally was and not the mopey, chronic depressive he has been in everything since. I think at this point my odds are at best 50/50, but are more likely to be much worse. I still hope though.

As for the new Dissidia, you can see Cloud's final design either by these recent screenshots or by the launch trailer (found here: http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/dissidia-final-fantasy-arcade/october-26-2015/Dissidia-Final-Fantasy-Arcade_2015_10-26-15_028.jpg and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oTJiy6j8g respectively). I am hoping that these designs, plus Smash Bros design of Cloud and Nomura's birthday Cloud that they are moving away from AC cloud design (here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16297.0).

As for Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if NX gets a port down the road, especially now with Cloud in Smash. I agree with you that it is unrealistic to think that the remake is going to be on NX when FF7 launches, especially since it seems that the FF7 remake is going to be made specifically for the PS4 first with the possibility of ports down the road. Square Enix doesn't have any real reason to believe the NX isn't going to be another flop like the Wii U, so they are most certainly not going to be putting time and money into it right away, but will probably be open to porting down the road.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-11-15 10:19:32 »
@hian: Nomura said in an interview that the graphics are going to be very "realistic" so the "cartoony" look of Cloud will unfortunately probably not be in the remake. That being said, the exact design of Cloud in the remake trailer is almost certainly not representative of how he is going to look in the actual game. Supposedly that trailer was made by Visual Works in a very limited time frame that Nomura didn't have a lot of involvement in. He did say that the game is not going to have AC's visual style, which is good news IMO, but just how much different it will be from AC in style remains to be seen.

I think it depends on what word Nomura used in Japanese, and what he, as a designer, puts into the word "realistic" in this context.
He might simply have been talking about graphical fidelity, not necessarily style. However, since the teaser trailer features NPCs that look like they could have fit into a Ubisoft game like Assassin's Creed, I agree that it's a pretty large stretch to hope for a stylized remake that tries to capture the anime vibe of the original game.

Yeah, I've also heard that the teaser was outsourced, and seeing as it was done the way it was done,
namely to play tricks on the initial viewers and build hype through deception - such as purposefully changing the architecture of Midgar in the first clips which is inconsistent with the original, despite the latter half of the trailer only featuring architecturally accurate depictions of the original Midgar, adding the children fighting with miniature Buster Swords, and the monologue going on in the background - I think it's obvious that non of this trailer is actual footage that will be used in the actual game, and therefore says nothing of substance at all about the remake.

As for AC - He didn't say it wouldn't have an AC visual style - he said they wouldn't be using the assets from AC and would have to redesign everything because, essentially, those assets are way too dated to work well with the remake.

I am just hoping that with whatever graphical style they choose, they opt to make Cloud into the bad@$$ he originally was and not the mopey, chronic depressive he has been in everything since. I think at this point my odds are at best 50/50, but are more likely to be much worse. I still hope though.

Yes, by god. I also hope they don't retcon and overly emphasize the Cloud/Zack connection, personality disorder thing - as it would completely devalue Cloud's character through 2/3's of the game.
Past memory-fix Cloud was a real mean pragmatist and professionalist. He had little to nothing in common with Zack because he didn't really know Zack, and this is apparent to anyone who's actually paid attention to how Cloud acts throughout most of the game versus how Zack acts in the few scenes he is in, and in the Crisis Core game.

As for the new Dissidia, you can see Cloud's final design either by these recent screenshots or by the launch trailer (found here: http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/dissidia-final-fantasy-arcade/october-26-2015/Dissidia-Final-Fantasy-Arcade_2015_10-26-15_028.jpg and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oTJiy6j8g respectively). I am hoping that these designs, plus Smash Bros design of Cloud and Nomura's birthday Cloud that they are moving away from AC cloud design (here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16297.0).

That's pretty decent, and I can get behind that design - even if I would prefer the Smash Brothers design. You really see how well the style of Smash Brothers lends itself to recreation of FF7 assets - just look at the summons etc.
I can't really see how well the realistic look would work with the enemy and summon designs etc. of the original game.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2015-11-15 22:46:41 »
@hian: My problem with the Cloud-Zack connection in Crisis Core is that Cloud was indeed pragmatic, arrogant, and quite the sarcastic anti-hero from the start of the game, and that persona really only broke down after Cloud's recovery from Mako poisoning and he realized who he was again. After that, Cloud, while still being a little snarky was way more similar to how Zack is portrayed in Crisis Core. When Cloud finally regained himself, he was a little more goofy, a little more kind, and a lot more optimistic (which completely through me off when I watched AC for the first time).

If Cloud really took on Zack's persona at the end of Crisis Core he would have acted like Zack to begin with, and then changed into his own personality at the end. Instead, it seems Cloud's personality at the end is more similar to Zack in Crisis Core.

I think Cloud did not know Zack or Sephiroth very well, and that's the reason why when he was pretending to be an Ex-Soldier he was so serious and professional. Then the real Cloud was revealed to be a lot more light-hearted and optimistic, while in the flashbacks it hinted at Zack being a tough, yet reasonably caring guy. He wasn't really taking on Zack's legacy, but instead felt ashamed, repressed his own memories, and took on the persona of an Ex-Solider he knew of from the limited perspective he observed while being a Shinra grunt.

The relationship between Cloud, Zack, Tifa, and Cloud's memories was so well told and complex in the original it was one of the main reasons I fell in love and stayed in love with the game. Another major reason was how nuanced Sephiroth's story was, and how it weaved in and out of the mystery of who Cloud was.
'
Unfortunately, people who aren't fans of the original game like to claim that Cloud is just an "emo anime character" and Sephiroth is a girly "momma's boy". If anyone actually took the time to play and understand the original without just lazily absorbing all of the retcons from the later entries in the "compilation" they might actually see the characters for the charm they have.

I always felt that Kingdom Hearts is the original culprit for this, because somehow Cloud ended up being mopey (because Nomura thought he'd be cooler that way I guess) and Squall had the personality Cloud did from the original. When I played that game for the first time I joked that Squall and Cloud had switched bodies apparently, since what I distinctly remember from Squall in FF8 are all of his "I don't care", "Whatever...", and "..." lines. Squall got renamed Leon and generally got a bad@$$ makeover, while Cloud stole Vincent's clothes and went emo for some reason.

I'm going to have to stop ranting at some point but I have to get something else off my chest as well. Cloud's obsession with Aerith is waaaaayyyyyy overblown in the compilation. Cloud was sad that he let Aerith die, yes, but he was way more confused and upset with not knowing who he truly was or how Sephiroth could control him. He went crazy because he was trying to figure out who he was, not being depressed Aerith died. In the game he came to terms with Aerith's death and had the resolve to finish what Aerith started, which was to stop Sephiroth and save the planet. AC's entire plot was that Cloud was still sad he saw both Zack (his supposed best friend) and Aerith die in front of him and was powerless to save them, and now he and Denzel (where the F did they decide to pull that character out of? And why was Barrett not taking care of Marlene? I swear AC sometimes....) have FF7 cancer (stigma?) and he is afraid he is powerless to stop it once again. Cloud already came to terms with Aerith's death, did not even know Zack THAT well, Denzel came out of nowhere, and stigma was just a plot device set up to get Cloud to relapse again and rehash the same character development arc from the game. I don't even know what else to say about it rather than point out the absurdity of it all. /end rant

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-11-18 13:34:00 »
@hian: My problem with the Cloud-Zack connection in Crisis Core is that Cloud was indeed pragmatic, arrogant, and quite the sarcastic anti-hero from the start of the game, and that persona really only broke down after Cloud's recovery from Mako poisoning and he realized who he was again. After that, Cloud, while still being a little snarky was way more similar to how Zack is portrayed in Crisis Core. When Cloud finally regained himself, he was a little more goofy, a little more kind, and a lot more optimistic (which completely through me off when I watched AC for the first time).

If Cloud really took on Zack's persona at the end of Crisis Core he would have acted like Zack to begin with, and then changed into his own personality at the end. Instead, it seems Cloud's personality at the end is more similar to Zack in Crisis Core.

Quoted for effing truth. I keep saying the same thing. If anything - in the original, pre-memory fix Cloud has more in common with Sephiroth than with Zack, making the comparison between Cloud and Zack utterly bizarre.

Unfortunately, people who aren't fans of the original game like to claim that Cloud is just an "emo anime character" and Sephiroth is a girly "momma's boy". If anyone actually took the time to play and understand the original without just lazily absorbing all of the retcons from the later entries in the "compilation" they might actually see the characters for the charm they have..

Yeah. FF7 fandom has a serious issue with consisting of a large population of "fans" that aren't actually fans of the FF7, but of all the other stuff that was produced later.
It annoys me to no end how these people, who don't even really like the source material all that much and who's primary love for what they think FF7 is, is based on spin-off material, feel entitled to have the source material be reshaped to fit their misconceived and bastardized view of how it ought to be as an extension of the spin-offs.
This is seriously backwards. If anything, the reasonable thing is for the spin-offs to either take a hike entirely, or be reshaped to actually fit the original narrative.

I always felt that Kingdom Hearts is the original culprit for this, because somehow Cloud ended up being mopey (because Nomura thought he'd be cooler that way I guess) and Squall had the personality Cloud did from the original. When I played that game for the first time I joked that Squall and Cloud had switched bodies apparently, since what I distinctly remember from Squall in FF8 are all of his "I don't care", "Whatever...", and "..." lines. Squall got renamed Leon and generally got a bad@$$ makeover, while Cloud stole Vincent's clothes and went emo for some reason.

This is probably true. Though I also think that a lot of people just sorta forgot what Cloud was originally like playing the game.
Time passed, people played FF8 and FF9 etc. and the only memories that stuck with them from FF7 were naturally the most iconic ones, like the death of Aerith etc. where Cloud is, understandably, very emotional and very sad. Those scenes though, conspire to render their impression of Cloud as being largely emotional and sad as a character when they can't remember any of his other traits.

I'm playing the OG in Japanese on my PS Vita right now, and there, it's more obvious than ever that pre-memory fix Cloud has absolutely nothing in common with Zack what so ever. If anything, compared to the western localization, Cloud is a real jaded a-hole. His speech pattern, and sociolect shows him as often being condescending and mean - like a less slang-ridden Barret and less swearing Cid, but just as abrasive but without "a heart of gold" to compensate for it like the two other characters. It really isn't except when Tifa calls up memories of his old self, or when Aerith starts kicking on his heart-strings that Cloud shows any signs of being anything more than his SOLDIER persona in the beginning of the game.

I'm going to have to stop ranting at some point but I have to get something else off my chest as well. Cloud's obsession with Aerith is waaaaayyyyyy overblown in the compilation. Cloud was sad that he let Aerith die, yes, but he was way more confused and upset with not knowing who he truly was or how Sephiroth could control him. He went crazy because he was trying to figure out who he was, not being depressed Aerith died. In the game he came to terms with Aerith's death and had the resolve to finish what Aerith started, which was to stop Sephiroth and save the planet. AC's entire plot was that Cloud was still sad he saw both Zack (his supposed best friend) and Aerith die in front of him and was powerless to save them, and now he and Denzel (where the F did they decide to pull that character out of? And why was Barrett not taking care of Marlene? I swear AC sometimes....) have FF7 cancer (stigma?) and he is afraid he is powerless to stop it once again. Cloud already came to terms with Aerith's death, did not even know Zack THAT well, Denzel came out of nowhere, and stigma was just a plot device set up to get Cloud to relapse again and rehash the same character development arc from the game. I don't even know what else to say about it rather than point out the absurdity of it all. /end rant

I'm not sure what he was more sad about in the original - because he was obviously quite messed up over the death of Aerith. However, FF7 ended on a positive note, I would say, with Cloud coming to terms with her death to some extent.
As for Zack's death - well, after Cloud gets his memories fixed, Zack's death doesn't exactly seem to feature very prominently in Cloud's mind at all. He makes one mention of it to his team-mates on board Highwind, and then never mentions it again (further solidifying the fact that Cloud probably didn't have a particularly close relationship with Zack - if at all beyond that of the Nibelheim incident).
After all, Zack was not original intended to be a part of FF7's story.
His character was essentially a tongue in cheek easter-egg reference to Cloud's old design.
Zack was what Cloud was first envisioned as, in terms of appearance - and so the entire Zack/Cloud sub-plot is a reference to that incident in the development cycle were Cloud, as we known, was born, and the other (Zack) was scrapped.

The entire identity crisis theme is a silly analogy -
Cloud is actually Zack (because Cloud the character was made out from "Zack"/Black haired Cloud), but he's also essentially just Cloud because "Zack" was never really made, nor fleshed out - and so the entire Crisis Core flash-back and the escape from Shinra Mansion flashback reflects this.
Zack never really has any substantial character worth speaking of for that very reason - Real Cloud is similar to Zack for this reason too - because on the drawing board they were the same character.
The simple, callous and nameless death of Zack in the OG also fits perfectly with how easily and callously the original design for Cloud was scrapped and replaced (which is on par for the course in game-development during the concept stages).

This is why essentially CC as a game and as a story spits in the face of the original game, the original creative vision, and the meaning and purpose behind the original Zack story, and why I could never really like it despite the fact that the game has decent game-play and a pretty entertaining story in and of itself.
As a part of the compilation, it's just another stain on the legacy of FF7.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2015-11-20 11:52:51 »

I was just going to say the same... I'm really surprised they chose the good old 3D "anime" look for him.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2015-12-16 15:19:51 »
The Cloud DLC for Smash Bros. is out, and... uh, they priced it like Square Enix. It's the most expensive character DLC in the game.

That said, the folks at Nintendo, Sora Ltd., and Bandai Namco have done an excellent job. Cloud is fun to play, does not feel like a clone of the other sword users, and does a remarkably good job integrating mechanics from FF7. His A moves are ordinary sword attacks, and his B moves (specials) are all assigned to limit moves from FF7. His neutral special is Blade Beam, his side special is Cross Slash, and his up special is Climhazzard. Limit meter is charged by taking and receiving damage, or with Cloud's down special, which slowly charges the meter while he stands still (this can be canceled into a dodge roll if need be). When fully charged, all specials become more powerful and his down special is replaced with Finishing Touch. His Final Smash is Omnislash. He's got two costumes: his FF7 outfit and his AC outfit, each in four barely-different color schemes.

The Midgar stage included with the DLC is also pretty fun. At first glance it seems like a Battlefield clone, with a floor and three platforms, but it's got a gimmick. Every once in a while, summon materia will spawn in from the background. When collected, these will summon Odin, Ifrit, Ramuh, Bahamut ZERO, or Leviathan (unsurprisingly no Shiva in an E10+ rated game), each of which has a different effect based on their original FF7 animation and effect. These can involve damaging the stage (such as by flooding it or cutting it in half) or attacking characters, except whoever collected the materia and is immune. The songs included are "Let the Battles Begin" and "Fight On!", both in their original, unremixed form. I'm a little disappointed, but unsurprised, that they used the English song names, and mildly irritated that they didn't include "J-E-N-O-V-A" or "One Winged Angel", but it's not a big deal.

All in all, this DLC is one of the best things to happen to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS and to both the Smash and FF7 franchises in general. I feel like this DLC is a must-buy for Smash 4 owners.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-12-16 18:24:04 »
Nomura even drew the official artwork, he gave Cloud actual arms and not pipe cleaners.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #24 on: 2015-12-17 09:17:58 »
Cloud is my new main character.  He is super over-powered, so I am enjoying him before the inevitable nerf hammer.

L. Spiro