Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007836 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3425 on: 2017-02-25 20:56:14 »
It's your imagination.

As for the Quit menu, I'm afraid it's gone for good. At least you can now force game over.

On "Press X" - that's a fault with Steam that I won't correct (not least because changing it means altering the driver, which is even more work).  I'll only fix original PC errors.  I'd just convert to 1998 tbh; it's much better anyway and can be modded more.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-25 20:58:06 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: 2017-02-25 21:26:16 »
Thanks. I like the Achievements in the Steam version, so I'll probably keep it.

As for the Quit menu, I'm afraid it's gone for good.

Just out of interest, what's your reasoning for this?

PS - A minor bug: When characters are talking about the Lunar Harp, it should be capitalised because it's a proper noun. Just as it is for Temple of the Ancients or Cosmo Memory.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-25 21:32:11 by ThunderPeel2001 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: 2017-02-25 21:37:26 »
I'm not sure how the Lunar Harp case was missed. Just an oversight. A lot of these minor issues will be fixed as I do the final walk through video. But it's best that they get reported just in case.

The quit menu reasoning has been given.  a. you can force game over. b. it did not exist in psx version c. you can use alt+f4.  I know your case is a problem compared to most, but it's not one I am satisfied warrants me changing what I have done. I'm not making an entire exception because you're playing the game in a way that wasn't originally intended.

edit.  All references to the harp are lower case. I am thinking that I made some sort of edit using a text replace and forgot the case.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-25 21:42:45 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: 2017-02-25 21:51:09 »
Re: The Lunar Harp. It's a key item within the game, but actually the characters talk about it being commonplace ("a girl passed through and she had a lunar harp"). Maybe it should be lowercase, as it appears to be common.

« Last Edit: 2017-02-25 21:54:52 by ThunderPeel2001 »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: 2017-02-25 22:23:48 »
Another question: I was wondering what's with the new colour scheme for the Limit/Time bars? I know it's optional, but I just wondered why? Does it match the Japanese PSX version or something? Is it just because it's more aesthetically pleasing? I was just wondering as there's no explanation in the read me. Thanks.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: 2017-02-26 08:12:21 »
The Lunar Harp is an item, so it should always be capitalized.

The bar colours are just personal preference.  I think they do a far better job conveying the current status than the originals/

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: 2017-02-26 11:48:38 »
You're nothing if not a bundle of contradictions, DLPB. Thanks for your hard work.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: 2017-02-26 12:45:07 »
Is that overlay issue specific to 60fps battle or the Menu Enhancement.

Also, what contradiction ?  :P
« Last Edit: 2017-02-26 14:19:02 by DLPB »

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: 2017-02-26 20:58:30 »
Thunder peel, if your streaming on Steam you should be able to custom map a button to get past the launcher now that Steam has made all controller types completely reconfigurable.

The removal of the quit option I do find a bit strange, while I get that you trying to make it as close to the PSX release as possible, ultimately it is still running on a PC, while there are workarounds, none of them are as graceful as having a quit option.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: 2017-02-26 21:03:51 »
Alt+F4 is quicker and more graceful.  There is no reason to have a quit option when you can simply use that shortcut.  Or, if in a window, close the window. It was poorly implemented from the start.  I use the Steam version and 1998 version, and I honestly can't say it's troubled me. Not to mention the quit option likely won't work in all modules anyway (like minigames), making it even more useless.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-26 21:07:04 by DLPB »

Liquid_Vegeta

• View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: 2017-02-26 22:14:45 »
Psh, who has a keyboard around when playing a PC game these days anyway  :P

« Reply #3436 on: 2017-02-27 04:05:16 »
First of all, I apologize if this problem has already been dealt with. I couldn't find any fixes.

I've been experiencing jittering/stuttering in animations during battles with the 60 FPS fix enabled. Whenever a character is moving at the same time as the camera, their model jitters erratically back and forth. It's distracting to say the least.

I'm aware this has already been talked about before and logged in the database, but the last mention I've found of it was about a year ago, and I'm not sure what the status of it is (if any). Is it a side-effect of the 60 FPS hack, a bug on the mod's end, or a bug on my end? For the record, I don't use any other mods with this game—just The Reunion.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: 2017-02-27 06:32:55 »
Alt+F4 is quicker and more graceful.  There is no reason to have a quit option when you can simply use that shortcut.  Or, if in a window, close the window. It was poorly implemented from the start.  I use the Steam version and 1998 version, and I honestly can't say it's troubled me. Not to mention the quit option likely won't work in all modules anyway (like minigames), making it even more useless.

Make it as they did with the FFIX port and place the quit option into the config menu. I think that this would be a fair compromise. Personally I would like it back to the menu itself because I still open the menu to realize that I need to use Alt+F4. Another solution would be to add a hot key for the quit menu to your already implemented speed buttons.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: 2017-02-27 09:58:54 »
First of all, I apologize if this problem has already been dealt with. I couldn't find any fixes.

I've been experiencing jittering/stuttering in animations during battles with the 60 FPS fix enabled. Whenever a character is moving at the same time as the camera, their model jitters erratically back and forth. It's distracting to say the least.

I'm aware this has already been talked about before and logged in the database, but the last mention I've found of it was about a year ago, and I'm not sure what the status of it is (if any). Is it a side-effect of the 60 FPS hack, a bug on the mod's end, or a bug on my end? For the record, I don't use any other mods with this game—just The Reunion.

The Reunion Database notes its status.  If it's there it's either fixed or being worked on.  There is no status other than I am either trying to fix it or cannot fix it :P
« Last Edit: 2017-02-27 10:45:39 by DLPB »

brainsolo

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: 2017-02-27 10:58:55 »
You're nothing if not a bundle of contradictions, DLPB. Thanks for your hard work.
Also, what contradiction ?  :P
I think he's pointing out that the reasons for a change can range from "as the devs intended" to "clearly a bug that needs fixing" to "personal preference". I'm sure it's case-by-case, but it can be a bit difficult to see a consistent rationale from the end-user side of things, especially for those who might not have kept up with the project since the beginning.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: 2017-02-27 11:07:21 »
I don't see a contradiction when there is a choice being given. If I were forcing different coloured gauges on you, then yeah. The reason a choice is being given is precisely because I know I am stepping outside of my own criteria.  Plus the gauge colours and other things are nothing to do with the retranslation.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: 2017-02-27 23:24:46 »
Whether you know it or not, DLPB, you're rationale is ALWAYS "because I think it's best", despite what you say. Which is why it's so confusing for the rest of us to understand why certain things are as they are. But hey, it's your mod.

I really hope you reconsider commenting out the code that removes the Quit option. A lot of PC players user their PCs with their TVs nowadays, like a console. They don't have Alt-F4 to hand.

Anyways, I've been playing a lot more of Beacause and I have to say, despite the quirks of having to rename everything (Maze to Labyrinth, Inn to Tavern, etc. etc.), it's a VAST improvement over the original. The original is also quirky, but in a very bad way: It doesn't make sense! Whatever flavour the original dialogue has is completely pointless... because it never made any sense. It's only when you switch over to Beacause that you realise how much you've been missing out on. FFVII's plot does actually make very clear sense! Playing with Beacause is like putting on a pair of glasses when you didn't know you needed them. Suddenly everything is clear.

I have to say, right now, it's the way I'd recommend anyone to play the game. Well done.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: 2017-02-28 01:00:04 »
And whether you like it or not, I disagree with you.  When you say or imply that I am full of contradictions, such a comment needs more than just your say-so.   There is no contradiction in allowing options.  Your philosophy the last few posts seems to be that such options should not be given, and I should instead force the incorrect translations on people (Zack, Elena, Megalixir and so on). I don't see any logic in that whatsoever. I have to be honest in saying I believe your opposition to certain changes made - even though they are optional - is purely fanboyism. Indeed, your previous "too scared to play" comment regarding this retranslation would point to that. My rationale the last few comments has certainly not been "because I know best" (even though, yes, I certainly do more often than not.  I won't apologize for that.).  I've given you logical reasoning, and I've gone with that reasoning. I can't claim I am 100% across the board consistent, but I am far from what you have accused me of.  8-)

I am happy, however, that even though you clearly had serious reservations about our work, you have actually enjoyed it and have recommended it. I had a feeling I was going to be here defending every comma. It's a pleasant surprise to see otherwise.

quirks of having to rename everything (Maze to Labyrinth, Inn to Tavern, etc. etc.

Those are totally logical changes. For a start off, a maze and a labyrinth are not the same thing. Look at The Reunion Database (Tornado Labyrinth is absolutely the correct term here - as opposed to Whirlwind Maze).

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Labyrinth_vs_Maze

FF7's Labyrinth is a series of puzzles leading to the centre [of the crater]. This is basically the fundamental definition of a labyrinth. I did not change it for "the sake of it". 

And a cellar is not a basement.

Edit.

No inns have been renamed tavern that I am aware of.  Do you have the map handy where this happens?  I will need to keep an eye out for this in future, since some of those "inns" should probably be renamed tavern.  I'd have to check. Generally speaking, the game is clear when a bar or pub is the intended name.  Often it's in English via kana.

« Last Edit: 2017-02-28 02:59:45 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: 2017-02-28 02:54:40 »
Code: [Select]
[SETTINGS]
ModID=60I
Delay=2000

[THE REUNION]
Enabled=0

[NEW AUDIO]
Enabled=1
Centre_All_SFX=1
Field_SFX_In_Battle=1
Audio_Log=1

#Use QPC unless it causes a problem with the frame rate.
[NEW FRAME LIMITER]
Enabled=1
QPC=1
Game_Time_Is_Realtime=1

#Requires New Frame Limiter to be enabled.
#Interpolation requires that the interpolated battle files have been installed.
[60FPS BATTLES]
Enabled=1
Interpolated=1

[TWEAKS]
Field_Centred=0
Default_Run=1
New_Gauge_Colours=1

That will do for now.  That's how the ini for my dll is shaping up.  8)
« Last Edit: 2017-02-28 02:57:59 by DLPB »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: 2017-02-28 12:09:07 »
We are all so looking forward to R06!

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Like others, I personally feel the removing of the Quit button was not such a good idea. I have read the reasons why you wanted it out, DLPB, but there was no real harm in keeping it there for those that actually have use for it. This is, after all, still a PC port and it is no shame in having a Menu option to quit to the OS, especially considering it was there to begin with.

We are just nitpicking, of course. The Reunion is going to leave its indelible mark anyway!

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: 2017-02-28 13:10:07 »
And whether you like it or not, I disagree with you.  When you say or imply that I am full of contradictions, such a comment needs more than just your say-so.   There is no contradiction in allowing options.  Your philosophy the last few posts seems to be that such options should not be given, and I should instead force the incorrect translations on people (Zack, Elena, Megalixir and so on).

Yeah... that's what I believe :rolleyes: I'll try one more time to explain what you've missed from my original post: I was highlighting your decision making process, not the decisions themselves. The fact that you see any discussion of your work as an "attack" (your word) however, makes it extremely difficult to have a conversation with you. I'm happy to listening to your reasoning on things, and I agree with them in many cases once they've been explained (eg. Bomb's Fragment, Stimulant), but there's still things I don't understand.

The bottom line, however, is that often your "logic" surrounding this mod (and I mean the whole thing, not just Beacause) is often contradictory. I've given you a clear example of this, but I could go on. But what's the point? The number of people telling you that it's harmful to the game's experience to remove the Quit option isn't going to make a difference... because "you know best".

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: 2017-02-28 13:10:48 »
Decision making process isn't linked to the decisions themselves? And, let's be clear, you have singled out very specific decisions and changes.

Using the quit option as the ultimate nuclear weapon really won't wash.  You've attacked far more than that, and been simply wrong on the majority.  You've made the accusation that I've made numerous retranslation changes "for the sake of it" - and yet I have pointed out precisely the opposite.

As for the quit menu you've managed to make into the worst decision since gas chambers, I have yet to hear a good argument as to why Alt + F4 is not good enough and a quit option should be added.  Someone mentioned a hot key to the quit menu, which I may add.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-28 13:22:58 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: 2017-02-28 13:20:53 »
The decision making process is different than the decisions themselves, as the latter is just nitpicking. That's why I said a few posts ago that I'd realised our philosophy surrounding the translation (ignoring the whole mod for a second) is different: You're treating this as a whole new translation, with no merit in the names people know and (in some cases) love. It's true now that, if you're following a walkthrough with Beacause, you'll be confused because item names and enemies are differently named. That's one of the reasons why I'd have kept most of the original translations. I've realised, however, your philosophy is very different, and I understand it now, even if I'd have come from a different angle.

The reason I shared my original post with you at all was to let you know how one user felt about trying Beacause -- right or wrong. It wasn't an attack. I've found such user feedback useful when I've made my own mods/guides.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: 2017-02-28 13:24:41 »
That's fair enough, but your latest few posts still take aim at the changes to "Maze" and so on - as if I changed these on a whim. I didn't. But we're clearly not going to agree on this.  Also, I don't think you'll find many mod creators who will actually give you an option in the first place. The quit menu removal is one of the only things I have forced. I will probably add a hot key to it as someone suggested.  I am definitely not adding it to the main menu, as I believe it makes the menu less pleasing to the eye.  I remember another person asking me to remove it a while back for that very reason.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-28 13:28:26 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: 2017-02-28 14:24:17 »
I have added Alt + Ctrl + Q as the quit menu.  The original game often fails when using the original game code to initiate the quit menu.