Author Topic: [PC] Field background editor - Palmer (0.8b)  (Read 212684 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Palmer
« Reply #200 on: 2009-07-23 22:21:39 »
well i had a go resizing and adding a filter and i had the same problem as seifertemp (to be expected) then i tried a few idea's and i managed to get a somwhat alright result here

i 200% sized the image and added a blur filter and a noise filter and it seems to look alright (proberly over blured slightly but it is only a test to see what can and cant be done)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2009-07-23 22:34:41 »
It's nice to see that it worked  :-)

It's much better than the normal background, but you're right about there being a bit too much blur; it'll be a shame if it's not possible to sharped the image at all.  :|

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2009-07-23 23:37:45 »
Congratulations for your excelent work Aali. I still remember the summer tried doing something like this. And failed miserably :-P (as some may remember).

The way I see this, the only way of filetring the backgrounds correctly (without all those green, black, red, etc artifacts) would be filtering the whole image (with all layers applied). Of course, this is problematic. I'd say there are 3 cases regarding the backgrounds:
-Standard static backrounds. Applying the filter directly should suffice.
-Animated backgrounds. You should filter the whole background with every frame of the animation applied. Then save the animated tiles where they belong.
-I think there are some backgrounds that had sliding layers. That would be more troublesome. This would need not only a good filtering, but also a good deal of patience cutting off manually the edges of the layers.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #203 on: 2009-07-24 00:38:20 »
We should be doing fractal scales and photoshop touchups. I'm wikking to try that. DO they make a fractal plugin for Gimp?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2009-07-24 04:07:08 »
We should be doing fractal scales and photoshop touchups. I'm wikking to try that. DO they make a fractal plugin for Gimp?

Not from them directly. But i'm not sure if someone open sourced something similar.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2009-07-25 01:01:42 »
Here's a little something I whipped up last night;

Now, don't expect Palmer to get support for FF8 overnight, I'm still not sure I can even do that in a reasonable amount of time.
This is just a proof of concept, it BARELY works, sometimes :-P

« Reply #206 on: 2009-07-25 01:34:24 »
Now I cannot wait for that! If you can get it to support FF8...
you will make me, and probably many people very happy!
:D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2009-07-25 03:29:44 »
Well now I'm expecting some FFIX lovin'

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2009-07-25 03:34:58 »
Don't think thats possible haha, Unless someone were to rewrite everything for a PC version haha

Arsirus UK

• I built it but they did`nt turn up
    • View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #209 on: 2009-07-26 23:15:31 »
I`m not having any joy importing the files back.
I click on import and nothing happens any ideas??

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2009-07-26 23:30:49 »
Hmm, seems like I didn't add an error message for when it can't open the file.
You should not any have underscores or periods in the filename, apart from whatever is added by palmer when you do the export, that will mess up the import. (When doing the import, palmer doesn't actually open the file you choose, instead its filename is used as a template to find all the layers and because of this it will cut off the filename at the first underscore)
Also make sure your PNGs are 24- or 32-bit, no other formats are supported.

Arsirus UK

• I built it but they did`nt turn up
    • View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #211 on: 2009-07-27 09:15:59 »
Whats the best program to get it to 32bit Photoshop will only do 16??

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2009-07-27 12:26:59 »
^ Photoshop is one of the only programs (and one of the best) that supports 32-bit.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, usually the only thing that you should do in Photoshop to get 24- or 32-bit PNGs is not doing anything specific.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 12:29:54 by FleetCommand »

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #213 on: 2009-07-27 12:43:55 »

Now, don't expect Palmer to get support for FF8 overnight, I'm still not sure I can even do that in a reasonable amount of time.

If somebody wants edit backgrounds in FF8, there is a way, if you use programs created by Kruci.
See here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8461.0

...in the seventh section ;) It works:

Kruci's program converts MIM -> BMPs (and BMPs -> MIM), these BMPs you can edit in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever. ;)
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 12:45:49 by Colly »

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2009-07-27 13:14:46 »
Thanks for letting us know... but if I were you, I'd keep a gun close just in case.  :-P :-D

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #215 on: 2009-07-27 13:37:11 »
Thanks for letting us know... but if I were you, I'd keep a gun close just in case.  :-P :-D

If somebody shoot me, who will create program to convert translations (and backgrounds :P) from PC to PSX? :-D :wink:

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #216 on: 2009-07-27 13:40:00 »
Man you're such a one man army Aali  :-D

« Reply #217 on: 2009-07-27 19:22:37 »

If somebody wants edit backgrounds in FF8, there is a way, if you use programs created by Kruci.
See here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8461.0

...in the seventh section ;) It works:

Kruci's program converts MIM -> BMPs (and BMPs -> MIM), these BMPs you can edit in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever. ;)

I know this is going to sound really lame... but, i can't figure out how to get the Tim. plug in
into my photo shop....
-.-

It is
Adobe CS4 Photo Shop Portable..

« Reply #218 on: 2009-07-29 04:26:38 »
Alright.
I tried to use Palmer..
and When i opened it up..
all i got was a black screen,,
and yes i know i have to right click to get the sub menus.. but they don't show up..
and when they do they are just black boxes...

i clicked it randomly and the load file thing popped up

here is a screenie

the sub menu is the black box off to the bottom right of palmer.

*edit*
OMG
I am sorry... i forgot i posted here..
sorry for the double post..
-.-

i have been doing this a lot lately..
sorry.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2009-07-29 12:32:44 »
I'm stuck at Step 7 of Aali's instructions:
7. Put the png files from step 6 in the "textures" directory (from the OpenGL driver install)
I extracted flevel.lgp into "G:\temp" folder. I modified a field background -- size and resolution still remains the same. Then, I saved the field file into "G:\temp\new" folder and got field file plus the .PNG files I'm supposed to get. But now I don't understand, what does "the "textures" directory (from the OpenGL driver install)" mean? Which OpenGL driver? Which "textures" folder.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Note that I'm targeting a vanilla Final Fantasy VII without no modification.

ADDENDUM: Reopened the modified field file in Palmer and, oh my, it looks exactly like the original background. What happened to my changes? It looked correctly changed when I saved it!
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 12:36:47 by FleetCommand »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2009-07-29 13:38:24 »
FleetCommand after you import your edited PNG into Palmer click SAVE FIELD FILE and save it to a different folder. Then in this new folder you could have lots of PNG files and a field file. Put all the new PNG files into the texture folder in your FF7 folder (you need to be using Aali's driver 0.7 to have this folder) and then use a LGP editor and put the texture file back into the flevel.lgp (use Aali's LGP tools if you can but if its just for testing you can use a different program but i really do recommend Aali's tool.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2009-07-29 14:11:40 »
Actually, that's pretty much what I did without results.

FIRST: I issued the following commands:
  • md g:\temp
  • cd /d g:\temp
  • DeLGP "F:\Final Fantasy VII\data\field\flevel.lgp"

SECOND:
  • I opened Palmer 0.3
  • I clicked OPEN FIELD FILE and then opened G:\temp\las0_1
  • I clicked EXPORT PNG FROM LAYER and saved the data into g:\lsass\. It gave me a bunch of PNG file.
  • I closed Palmer 0.3
  • I opened las0_0_00000000.png in Paint.NET and added a custom insignia to the background. Then I saved the image, retaining resolution and bit depth. The file size dropped to 61KB.
  • I re-opened Palmer 0.3
  • I re-opened las0_1
  • I clicked IMPORT PNG TO LAYER and clicked las0_0_00000000.png.
  • I clicked SAVE FIELD FILE and saved the new file into "g:\lsass\modified" folder as "las0_1". Palmer asked as to whether I want to compress the file or not. I requested compression.
  • I exited Palmer.
  • I moved the "g:\lsass\modified\las0_1" to "g:\temp" and overwrote las0_1

THIRD: I issued the following commands:
  • "EnLGP g:\temp g:\flevel.lgp"
  • "xcopy "F:\Final Fantasy VII\data\field\flevel.lgp" "%usersprofile%\Desktop\" /v" (This command backed the original flevel.lgp to my desktop.)
  • "xcopy g:\flevel.lgp "F:\Final Fantasy VII\data\field\"" It queried as to whether I want to overwrite the existing file. I consented.
  • "md "F:\Final Fantasy VII\textures""
  • "xcopy g:\lsass\modified\*.PNG "F:\Final Fantasy VII\textures\" /v" (Files las0_1_00_00.png through las0_1_18_11.png were all copied to F:\Final Fantasy VII\textures. I verified.)

FOURTH:
  • I run Final Fantasy VII with Aali's Custom Driver installed. The background scene had not changed event a bit.
  • Confused, I opened "G:\temp\las0_1" in Palmer. It looked just as the original las0_1. I checked the file size and time stamp but they were correct, meaning that they were genuinely made by Palmer!
  • I posted here.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 14:23:37 by FleetCommand »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2009-07-29 14:29:22 »
Ok then so it looked alright in palmer. did you try looking at the outputed PNG when you saved them to see if the edited section is still there ?
Also i would compare the LGP archive using Highwind and check to make sure that las0_1 is the modifyed one.
Also you said the files are las0_1_00_00.png to las0_1_18_11.png but i just checked and they should be las0_00_00.png to las0_18_11.png so this could also be a problem

EDIT:- Also if you still cant get it working if you upload your save and the outputed files by palmer and i will have a look.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 14:32:19 by kranmer »

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2009-07-29 14:40:13 »
Ok then so it looked alright in palmer. did you try looking at the outputed PNG when you saved them to see if the edited section is still there ?
Yes, the .PNG files were a mess but my insignia was easily seen in tatters.

Also i would compare the LGP archive using Highwind and check to make sure that las0_1 is the modifyed one.
Highwind 1.21 only raises an arithmetic error exception when I try to preview anything inside flevel.lgp (both original and modified version) no matter what. However, if you review part FOURTH of my post, you'll realize that even after reopening a changed file inside Palmer itself, it didn't look changed at all.

Also you said the files are las0_1_00_00.png to las0_1_18_11.png but i just checked and they should be las0_00_00.png to las0_18_11.png so this could also be a problem
You must have mistakenly saved your field file as las0 instead of las0_1.

EDIT: Standby, uploading now...
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 14:43:15 by FleetCommand »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2009-07-29 14:49:15 »
hm thats strange. After you Export the PNG from las0_1 files they are renamed to las0_0 (by Palmer) this may mean that when they are imported back they may be messed up, i would recommend try renaming the PNG files to what i mentioned before and seeing if they will work like that (i belive the file may be looking for the wrong PNG files after being edited although i could be wrong), This may be a problem for Aali to look into.