Author Topic: [Tutorial] Meteor lesson 1, Basic character editing.  (Read 5466 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Welcome to Meteor lesson 1.

Here i will talk you through how to edit a character using meteor. We will swap Cloud for Jessie.

Step 1, decompressing the files from flevel.lgp

Open up LGP tools, and open flevel.lgp

Next, click extract all, select a place to extract to, then decompress all

Repeat the last two things, but extract to a different location, and DO NOT DECOMPRESS THESE.

Step 2, opening in Meteor.

For simplicity, lets open the forgotten city, since it is the first file alphabetically. It is called "ancnt1" You must be in the decompressed folder.

Now, you should see a tab that says "Walkmesh and 3d". Click on that. You will see this:

See that blue box? That is Aeris. She is the only one that appears because she has been given starting coordinates. To be able to edit Cloud, we must give him some.

Step 3, adding coordinates.

Go to the tab that says "Entities and script"

Now down the left side, you will see words such as "cl [11], ba[3]"

cl, means Cloud, ba means Barret. the numbers in the brackets are how many pieces of script that character has. Cloud has more because he does more in the level.

So, click the drop down box next to "cl [11]".

Then click script one, and down the bottom right, you should see a box that says "Raw style script editor". Click that, then select C style.

You wont need to know what the stuff in there means for this lesson, so just ignore it for now.

Step 4, finding the coordinates.

Go down in the script panel until you find "ea [2]". open that and select the first script.

See the part where it says "XYZI(0,-9A,-38A,AF,7B)"? Copy that into Cloud's First script, underneath

"CHAR(0)
 PC(0)
 return"

delete it from Aeris' script before you try to view.

Step 5, Swapping the HRC.

Ok, so now Cloud has Coordinates. Go back to the Walkmesh viewer. Click the box that was Aeris, now Cloud should be there.

See on the left side it says, AAAA.HRC? That is Clouds model file. Underneath are his animations. But just ignore the animations for now.

Highlight AAAA.HRC, and replace it with AXDC.HRC. Now Jessie will load instead of Cloud, but ONLY in this part of the game.

Back to the script editor, get the coordinates from cloud, and paste them back where you found them with aeris. Paste them after
"if(<20>
  • < 2A1)

{"

Make sure Clouds coordinates are deleted.

Step 6, compressing and using ingame.

Drag your altered ancnt1 into fice.lzs. Now it should be compressed again, so get the compressed file and replace it in LGP tools. Now Try ingame and see if Jessie loads.

If there's anything i missed, let me know :-) Merry christmas everyone!

NameSpoofer

Re: [Tutorial] Meteor lesson 1, Basic character editing.
« Reply #1 on: 2008-12-24 16:34:07 »
this is great ultima espio, with lots of images

sadly i already know this stuff, so please teach me how to add new boss battles!  :lol:

p/s: to add a battle script is it like to add something like "Battle(0,2,26)" ?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-12-24 20:14:31 »
I look forward to more of these; I want to get into field editing more seriously but I always have problems editing with meteor. So, what are we going to learn next?

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-12-24 23:54:04 »
Awesome stuff, thanks a lot. I'd kill for some way to edit the Field data on a PSX game, though.

Cheyck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-12-26 09:56:39 »
Thanks

But I have a little question ^^
how do you add an object to the map, if possible. For example, a safe ...

thank you in advance:)

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-12-26 12:50:22 »
Thanks

But I have a little question ^^
how do you add an object to the map, if possible. For example, a safe ...

thank you in advance:)

Next lesson.... :wink:

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-12-26 16:33:51 »
I must thank you profusely for deciding to make these.  At the moment, I hardly have half a clue what I am doing when I edit a field file with Meteor.  Detailed instructions on how to use it will be incredibly useful therefore, and I'm really interested in doing things such as adding boss battles and other things in addition (though I've also been absorbed in editing the kernel, kernel2, scene, battle, magic, char, and menu_us files and executable recently, plus I have to revise madly for upcoming exams and spend holiday quality time with my family lol so I'm in no sort of hurry).

Cheers!

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-12-27 12:46:05 »
p/s: to add a battle script is it like to add something like "Battle(0,2,26)" ?

Interesting, gonna have to try this.