Author Topic: FF7 Voice Audition Thread  (Read 30801 times)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
FF7 Voice Audition Thread
« on: 2011-04-30 16:46:20 »
Update : In order to have a more professionnal sounding mod, auditions have been moved to : http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?65840-Final-Fantasy-VII-FanDub-HD-**-CASTING-CALL-EPISODE-1-**.  Rules have also slightly been altered.  All are free to apply.

It's finally here, first part of the project!

WHAT IS FF7VOICE
FF7Voice is a patch to apply Voice-Overs in FF7. The patch works by intercepting the dialog calls of the game and playing the appropriate recorded line from the protected sound archive. The original concept of FF7Voice was suggested by FF7Heart and a proof of concept was put together by Ficedula and perfected by Dziugo.

THE SCRIPT
A full game script was produced for the game by Marc with the help of Tsetra, Revenile and Prince Lex.  Our recording will be based on that script and it contains every line by dialog ID and field location in the game as well as battle ID and movie name and timing.  DPLB also gave us the list of all of the world map text thanks to his retranslation project.  Recording will take place starting with major events of the game and working down from them in order of importance.

HOW WILL LINES BE RECORDED
A test will be held on the bombing mission to see if a group recording method is the best way to do things.  The bombing missions has a limited numbers of lines and characters so it should do for a good test under Mumble, a free group voice chat software that has good voice quality and allows for multicast recording.  Group recording comes with its own set of advantages/disadvantages, namely that all Voice Actors involved in a scene meet for a few hours all at the same time, and we want to test to see if it is a better way of doing things than recording individual lines on our own as is the norm.  Should this test fail, the recording process will be done in the standard way of recording lines each on our own with a set deadline and sending them in to the director for revisions/sound processing.

HOW TO APPLY FOR AUDITIONS
Send an e-mail to [email protected] with the line below as well as your contact info (name, e-mail, phone number) schedule and anything else you'd like to add.  If your schedule will change within the year, please state it and say how it will change as best as possible.  Deadline for initial round of auditions is May 13th at 23:59 PST so please hjave your files submitted by then.

WHO IS AVAILABLE FOR AUDITIONS?
We will be casting roles for scenes as they become needed.  Right now, the following roles are available :

Cloud
Hometown: Nibelheim
Weapon: Buster Sword
Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Blood Type: AB+

The main character of Final Fantasy VII. Originally a member of SOLDIER, he is now a mercenary who will take any job. After being hired by AVALANCHE, he gradually gets caught up in a massive struggle for the life of the planet. His enormous sword can cut almost anything in two.

Audition Lines :
“I don't care what your names are.  Once this job's over…I'm outta here.”
“I'm not here for a lecture.  Let's just do it.”
“Come on‚let's get outta here!”

Kid Cloud
Cloud's conflicted inner voice represented by Cloud as a 7 years old.  His role will become clear later in the game.

Auditions Line :
Watch out!  This isn't just a reactor!!

Barret
Hometown: Corel Village
Weapon: Gun-arm
Height: 6 ft 05 in 1/2 (1.97 m)
Blood Type: O

Head of the underground resistance movement, AVALANCHE. He's fighting the mega-conglomerate, Shinra, Inc. which has monopolized Mako energy, building special reactors to suck it out of the planet. Barret depends on brute strength and his "Gun-arm" to see him through. His wife died in an accident several years ago, and he now lives with his daughter Marlene.

Audition Lines :
“The hell you all doin'!?  I thought I told you never to move in a group!”
“Ex-SOLDIER‚huh?  I don't trust ya!”
“When we blow this place‚it ain't gonna   be nothin' more than a hunka junk.”

Jessie
Jessie, is a non-player character in Final Fantasy VII, and is a member of AVALANCHE, together with Barret, Biggs, Wedge, and Tifa. She is a very caring person, who tries to get to know Cloud, and keeps the other AVALANCHE members in line.

Audition Lines :
“SOLDIER? Aren't they the enemy?”
“Code deciphered”

Biggs
Biggs is a minor characters in Final Fantasy VII. He's a member of AVALANCHE under Barret Wallace. Biggs cares about the people around him. He is not a fighter and instead work in the technological areas of AVALANCHE's attacks.

Audition Lines :
“Wow! You used to be in SOLDIER, huh? …Not everyday ya find one in a group like AVALANCHE.”
“Code deciphered”

Wedge
Wedge is a minor characters in Final Fantasy VII. He's a member of AVALANCHE under Barret Wallace. Wedge cares about the people around him. Wedge, being the weakest-seeming of the group, looks up to Cloud. He is not a fighter and instead work in the technological areas of AVALANCHE's attacks.

Audition Line :
“Yeah.”

Computer Voice
Reactor's Automated Security System.

Audition Line :
"Ten minutes to detonation!"

Looking forward to hearing your work!
« Last Edit: 2011-09-29 00:26:30 by Marc »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: FF7 Voice Audition Thread - Bombing Mission
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-30 17:21:02 »
Just got myself a pretty expensive condenser microphone with a pop shield, and I'm quite a recording enthusiast. I've got some proper studio equipment and software, so I may try out for a small part like Biggs or something. I'm probably not going to be able to do a group recording or anything though, since timezones will probably conflict etc.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-30 19:37:36 »
Sent an e-mail.  I also forgot to mention that I also have Logic Studio available to me, and I'm somewhat experienced in editing audio

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-30 19:49:22 »
I have lots of sound editing experience and I can help you with a lot of the tedious stuff. I have Adobe Audition. Also I want to audition for some of the characters but right now I don't have my own computer. I am in the process of tyring to hasten my aquisition of a new PC just so I can be a part of this project  so please wish me luck :-D

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-30 22:55:44 »
Im still confused, do you just want some info or do you want actual sound files of the lines being read?

Mesden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-01 00:54:35 »
If you've sent an Audition, please send it again. Marc noted the wrong E-mail address. The E-mail is Aaron1984@Shaw.ca, not Shaw.com. Your auditions were not received.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-01 13:03:43 »
If you've sent an Audition, please send it again. Marc noted the wrong E-mail address. The E-mail is Aaron1984@Shaw.ca, not Shaw.com. Your auditions were not received.

Oops!

Edit :  I also realize I forgot to set a deadline.  Have your lines in by May 8th at 23:59 EST.  It is also recommended to record 3-4 takes per line.  Be mindfull of your recording quality.  Noises or a bad recording environment will reflect as badly upon your performance as a bad delivery.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-01 17:04:05 by Marc »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-02 20:15:34 »
Im still confused, do you just want some info or do you want actual sound files of the lines being read?

Send an actual MP3 of you reading the line.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-05 21:09:39 »
Only 4 days left!

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-09 02:09:50 »
We want extra auditions so deadline has been extended until Friday.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-05-09 06:20:03 »
Well this makes me happy, considering I haven't been able to set up a recording area yet.

Theclad

• Idir - FFDream.com
    • View Profile
    • FINAL FANTASY DREAM - Webmaster
« Reply #11 on: 2011-05-11 22:51:01 »
Hello there !
Did you receive my audition ? (cause I have lots of problem with my professional mail)
Thanks and good luck for other participants !

The Pezman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-05-18 20:18:45 »
I had asked Marc to email me when this project got started (see the thread I started in this forum). However, he never did. Could I still audition - I'd be interested in one or two of the minor roles. I'll also probably re-audition for Hojo, when and if he comes up.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-05-18 20:53:47 »
I haven't e-mailed any of the old cast.

I also figured you'd like to apply for Hojo the most.

And yes, you may still send in auditions.  No decision has yet been taken.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-05-19 21:21:33 »
Good thing the auditions -still- haven't been closed, as I -STILL- can't find my mic.  It's really starting to annoy me, I have a few other projects I wanna work on.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-05-20 03:52:06 »
Because we haven't received many auditions and we want this to be a good quality project, the director has decided to put out a casting call to a voice acting community : http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?65840-Final-Fantasy-VII-FanDub-HD-**-CASTING-CALL-EPISODE-1-**

The actual audition process will be held through e-mails but will be directed from there.

More roles have also opened up and group recordings have been dropped as we felt it was a hindrance to receiving auditions.

All who wish to apply are welcome to!

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-05-20 15:16:50 »

CLOUD STRIFE

The Main Protagonist of Final Fantasy VII. (Dramatic, Emotional)

sadface.jpg  I sure hope you guys aren't trying to make an emo Cloud

VinnyFinito

« Reply #17 on: 2011-05-21 21:49:23 »
^

+1

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-05-21 22:22:03 »
Cloud is emo enough, albeit not as emo as Squall.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-05-21 22:44:04 »
sadface.jpg  I sure hope you guys aren't trying to make an emo Cloud

And apart from anything else, Cloud is the opposite of dramatic and emotional. Quite the opposite, in fact; he seems to have schizoid personality disorder for most of the game.

I hate the way that Advent Children FF6 fanboys have influenced the way people think of Cloud.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-05-23 03:45:16 »
That's the director's call.

However, from past experiences, Cloud was baddass and detached as he should be in the early parts of the game.

VinnyFinito

« Reply #21 on: 2011-05-25 18:01:03 »
Hè sounds self assured because hè thinks hè made it as à SOLDIER firstclass

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-05-30 18:40:10 »
We're in the final 24h of the first audition and we still haven't received a good barret audition.

If anyone sounds like Mr T (or knows him!), send something in.

Audition lines are in the VAA link.

Thanks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-05-30 20:15:36 »
We're in the final 24h of the first audition and we still haven't received a good barret audition.

If anyone sounds like Mr T (or knows him!), send something in.

Audition lines are in the VAA link.

Thanks.
I wasn't going to audition until Reno came up, but I think I may just if you still don't have a Barret.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-05-31 14:01:01 »
Deadline extended for a week since no Barret audition has been sent.