Final Fantasy 7 > WIP

[WIP] FFVII and Godrays/Global Lighting?

(1/3) > >>

Mako:
Yup, I've been working a a shader using Nvidia's new SSDO algorithm http://kayru.org/articles/dssdo/ to approximate global illumination effects to simulate light and the new "Godray" shader. I've got it working to the point where Cloud is the global light can finally be controlled.

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gameworks/events/gdc14/GDC_14_From%20Terrain%20to%20Godrays%20-%20Better%20Use%20of%20DirectX11CantlayTatarinov.pdf

Now the global light can be assigned to any character even invisible ones that can be placed strategically. But that's not the hurdle I'm trying to clear. I'm trying to find the best way for the light to effect the 2D backgrounds - and I think I've got it. I can actually single out a very specific color key and tell it one of three things. Does it Absorb Light? Generate Light? or Reflect Light.

Hard to imagine from this crusty informative video but I'm imagining real shadows cast and sun glare on the world map. Glowing objects will now shade the character, so on and so fourth. Anyway progress is slow but I made some headway tonight.

https://youtu.be/BEjx0uiQavU

Sorry don't have much more to show y'all. The video depicts Cloud as a global light and you can see the light shifts with him, also the light peaks through the cracks in the vents. Now what this video unintentionally has is light beaming from everywhere that is because I assigned it to colors that are commonly found to test to see if the light was shifting. But with some tweaking to a scene maybe I can show you my overall vision better...

Using Sweet.fx to load a specific tone map when a scene loads seems like one possible way.

sithlord48:
Welcome back !! Thats a really cool shader you have there !

Kaldarasha:
So if we place some invisible objects and flag them with a name which does tell the shader it is a light emitter, we could create light sources? In theory, we could disable the fake global light of the models and let the shader do the light stuff. But Makoureaktor does need the update to place objects on the walk mesh with the background visible. It would be really cool if we could do that.

DLPB_:
That's not really likely to happen... and even if it did...  there is no way you can know for sure what it will look like in the game. For that you need to use Ochu and look at the coords. It's the only way to do it right.

Mako:

--- Quote from: Kaldarasha on 2017-01-11 17:43:43 ---So if we place some invisible objects and flag them with a name which does tell the shader it is a light emitter, we could create light sources? In theory, we could disable the fake global light of the models and let the shader do the light stuff. But Makoureaktor does need the update to place objects on the walk mesh with the background visible. It would be really cool if we could do that.

--- End quote ---

That's one idea. the current method is to use a very hacky method of loading corresponding bitmaps to field maps like reshade me looking for anfrst_1 folder then loading that individual bitmap.

As for no way to know, just trial and error. Reshade me actually has an option to reload shaders on the spot so that saves going in and out of the game. Just like in this video you can reshade the surrounding area and the 3D model based on the texcoord. It's getting the shadows right that's the real tricky part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version