Miscellaneous Forums > Scripting and Reverse Engineering

A little (but not a whole lot of) progress with changing the PSX FF7 hand cursor

(1/3) > >>

NERV Agent:
Thanks to luksy, I was finally able to "edit" the PSX FF7 hand cursor, but not with total success.

I used Tile Molester to flood fill the area surrounding the field hand cursor (the one that points at the player's head), so I could see the box where the hand is located in.

Here is the ".TIM" file I modified:

https://www.mediafire.com/?a78wacii38dibir

I generated a new "WINDOW.BIN" using luksy's program.

The good part, the game no longer freezes (to my knowledge).

The bad part?

The hand cursors in the menu and field seem to be shifted. Also not seen in the picture, all the text is garbled in game.

What's going on? How do I go about fixing this? Has anyone else modified the PSX hand cursor before, or am I the first one?

Anyway, it's late and I gotta sleep soon.

NERV Agent:
I still haven't found a solution to this, but I thought I'd update the thread in the hopes that someone out there does know a solution.

The original “WINDOW.BIN” is 13,266 bytes. This “offset” version is 13,244 bytes. This is a 22 byte difference.

In the original version, the header entries are:
00 00 1F 8B 08
00 00 1F 8B 08
01 00 1F 8B 08

I made 2 edited versions. One has 22 bytes of 0s at the end of the first header. The other has 22 bytes of 0s before the second header--which is just adding zeroes to the end of the first compressed file.

The one with the 0s after the first header doesn’t even load after "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents". The one with the 0s before the second header end doesn’t load, either.

Some help in figuring this out would be appreciated.

NERV Agent:
Okay, so I tried to make a ".ips" file (using Lunar IPS) that was supposed to repair this, but to no success.

A re-encoded "WINDOW.BIN" containing no changes somehow turns out to 13,187 bytes, but still seems to work in game as far as I know (I only got as far as getting off the train). CDMage pads out the difference with zeroes.

I decoded and re-encoded “WINDOW.BIN” with luksy’s program, to get the smaller yet functional version of that file.

Then, I made an “.ips” file that is supposed to restore the file to its normal state. The “.ips” file’s intent is to restore a smaller file back to its normal size.

“ORIGINAL UNMODIFIED” (target): Re-encoded “WINDOW.BIN”
“NEW MODIFIED” (containing desired changes): Original “WINDOW.BIN”

“WINDOW.BIN” just gets reverted to its original state after applying the patch, which is weird because the patch was only supposed contain the differences between the 2 files. My modifications should of remained, but that didn't happen.

I'd really like to solve this confusing problem.

UPDATE: I tried making the patch again, but with accounting for the padded zeroes that CDMage adds to the re-encoded file.

Same result as before.

Tsuna:
Is it not just a case of making the blue part transparent?  Never really worked with PS version but I have a lot of knowledge with textures and transparency in models for PC. It may be similar

On a side note whilst messing with these do you think its possible to change the menu aooeatence with that Tim file?

NERV Agent:
You mean alter the CLUT so that "blue" becomes transparency? If that's the case, then I would not be able to see the "box" where the hand is located. I am trying to determine the exact pixel locations of the hand cursor graphics. Another way of saying it is, I am trying to find the exact "coordinate range" where the cursor graphics are in the ".TIM" file. I figure that doing a "flood fill" around the hand cursors will let me see the exact "box" that it is contained in when it loads up in the game.

"Aooeatence"? Do you mean "appearance"? I've been told that "WINDOW.BIN" is where the cursor graphics are stored along with other UI elements, and the other two subfiles contain the whole font and width tables.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version