Author Topic: Bit of a weird one, this...  (Read 2441 times)

adfielding

Bit of a weird one, this...
« on: 2003-09-13 19:07:44 »
Hi all, just got to say first off that I love what you've managed to do with FF7 - particularly with the music patch - now I don't have to worry about Soundfonts :) Or so I hoped...

Err, right, I'll start with my first go at FF7 on WinXP. I installed the XP patch (I know, a stupid idea) and everything seemed to work fine, except the music was shagged... but I started mucking around with the built-in soundfonts and got it to a tolerable state. Then I heard about the music patch (you know, FF7Music) and I had to give it a try. It was then that I figured out that I'd have to uninstall the XP patch and muck around with the v1.02 patch - no prob, right, seeing as there's practically no difference?

Well, I installed the music patch and I'm glad to say it's working perfectly. However, now I have two problems (and I've tweaked the exe to overcome the Chocobo problems...)

1. If I turn off 8-bit palletised textures support, and run the game in TNT mode (I am using a GeForce2 Ultra, btw - latest drivers and all), then everything works fine, but there's one bit which makes the game crash. It's the first time you go to Cosmo Canyon, and you go to the dungeon part with Red and co. Well, I can climb down into the dungeon alright, but as soon as I get to the next screen (i.e. when the screen fades out), the music stops and my computer locks up. D'oh!

2. If I leave 8 bit palletised textures on, the game crashes whenever I get into a fight. Double d'oh!

I didn't have either of these problems with the XP patch, and I've read what people have said about the XP patch not actually being much different. My question is this: if the two versions are so similar, then why does one crash and the other does not? I tried without the FF7Music patch, and the same problems occurred. I've changed a few parts in the FF7.exe itself, but I'm at a loss - there must be *something* to the XP patch which stops it from crashing. Please, if someone could help me out I'd be eternally grateful - I'm willing to muck around with the FF7.exe, but I just can't bear to use Soundfonts again!!

Cheers!

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-09-13 19:18:52 »
Maybe the bug doesn't have to do with the difference between the XP patch and 1.02 patch, but it has to do with the FF7Music patch (which is definately not free of bugs).

According to this, the only difference between the XP patch and 1.02 patch in FF7Config is the title, and in FF7.exe its one change in addition to the Chocobo bug fix.

Try using the 1.02 patch without the music patch applied and see if the bug still occurs?

adfielding

« Reply #2 on: 2003-09-13 19:27:42 »
Quote from: Aaron
Try using the 1.02 patch without the music patch applied and see if the bug still occurs?

Yup, I tried that... and it always crashes in the exact same way. I just can't figure it out!!  :isee: