Author Topic: FFVII Materia Growth  (Read 14241 times)

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
FFVII Materia Growth
« on: 2006-12-19 21:31:18 »
I didn't know where to put this, so I figured here would be a better place. I'd love it if someone could give me some pointers on how is the fastest way to have the materia grow. I've never even completed some of the materia on master (such as the summons) because there are too much levels to go through ;_; Sure, I get that you can level up with a weapon that has a 3x materia growth, but that still isn't very fast...

Is there some intricate part of the materia system that I'm missing even after eight play-throughs total of this game (both pc and ps1)?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII Materia Growth
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-20 06:56:39 »
I forgot which one but there's a monser who gives a lot of AP, that along with the 3x growth weapon really makes it go fast. (Not fast enough though, but it never is fast enough :P)

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #2 on: 2006-12-21 09:07:24 »
I've looked through my monster database http://mirex.mypage.sk/FILES/monsters.txt where I had stored this kind of information and here are creatures that I know with most AP. Numbers could be wrong, you could try to check the numbers through Leviathan tool or with http://www.ffonline.com/ff7/enemies-ab.htm.

Information for each creature are : level, name, hp, item, location, item, AP

Code: [Select]
40 Serpent              14k  MindS   Gelnika     WaterR  -  70 AP
40 Cactuer              6k   TetraE  Cactus I    -       -  100 AP
50 Unknown  (tongue)    11k  PowerS  Gelnika     FireA   -  150 AP
46 IronMan              20k          North Cave  Elixir  -  W, 150 AP
52 Unknown3 (creep)     15k  MagicS  Gelnika     BoltA   -  200 AP
60 King Behemoth        18k  -       North Cave  PhDown  M  250 AP
 - Master Tonberri      -    -       North Cave  Elixir  -  250 AP
51 Unknown2 (needle)    13k  GuardS  Gelnika     AuroraA -  300 AP
54 Dragon Zombie        13k          North Cave  Cauldr  -  H, 300 AP, Pandora's Box  (but I think I was able to encounter only one of these)
57 Dark Dragon          14k  Vaccine North Cave  DragonA M  350 AP, Dragon Force
59 Mover                3000 Protect North Cave  TEther  -  800 AP ?
41 Magic Pot            4096 -       North Cave  -       -  1000 AP

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-12-21 14:03:21 »
Wow, awesome list...just tell me how to get rid of a magic pot :/ I haven't played the game in a while so I haven't gotten fighting them yet, but...IIRC, I could just never damage them with magic or physical attacks.

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-21 17:47:31 »
Wow, awesome list...just tell me how to get rid of a magic pot :/ I haven't played the game in a while so I haven't gotten fighting them yet, but...IIRC, I could just never damage them with magic or physical attacks.

Yeah, they're immune to attack UNTIL.. wait for it.. you give them a .. ELIXER. :-D
Movers are what you really should target. They're the orange bouncy balls in the north cave, and usually come in groups of 3-5. Slap your materia in that 'Triple AP' weapon of choice, and you're talking 7,200-12,000 AP per an encounter. That will ratch up your materia pretty quick!  :wink:

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-21 17:53:00 »
Ooooh, wow. I'll look for the movers then. Too bad you can't find them earlier in the game :/ Far as I know, once you get to the north cave, you can't leave again, right? And if you can't leave, you can't exactly get the master materias, right? I mean, don't you have to, once you master a whole set, go back to bugenhagen or wherever the huge materia are and touch it and then you get it?

(I don't know since I've never once fully mastered any set since I've always gotten tired of leveling up the slow materia)
« Last Edit: 2006-12-21 18:43:23 by #Sen-chan# »

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-12-22 08:14:19 »
You can go pretty deep into the Northern Crater and go back. Just don't go fight Safer Sephiroth.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-12-22 09:10:18 »
Correction, when you sit down on the ledge (when you can speak to the characters) thats the farthest point, after that you decend to fight Jenova (down the big stone blocks) where I dont think you can get back up from.

The magic pots are usually located in the gold lake area just before you meet up with the other team before fighting Jenova (I think), it is pretty hard to find movers in my experience, but they are usually located in that area.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-12-22 11:57:46 »
Correction, when you sit down on the ledge (when you can speak to the characters) thats the farthest point, after that you decend to fight Jenova (down the big stone blocks) where I dont think you can get back up from.

The magic pots are usually located in the gold lake area just before you meet up with the other team before fighting Jenova (I think), it is pretty hard to find movers in my experience, but they are usually located in that area.
You're right, forgot about that.

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-12-22 13:50:32 »
Yeah, I thought you couldn't leave once you entered. So, um, forgive me for seeming like a newbie even if I've played the game several times...what gold lake area are you referring to? Is that near the gold saucer...?

CKtalon

• View Profile
    • http://www.ffrc.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: 2006-12-22 16:25:29 »
The gold area is actually on the left path..It just looks golden and bright compared to the other left path which is dark and rocky..
I used to train there all the time..and using the W-item trick to get unlimited elixers so that I could train on magic pots..
I hate the Flyeyes and Christopher and his stupid donkey though...

you could get back to the world map from the big cave to the top of the screen once u enter the North Crater..Going through it brings u to a ledge in which u could climb up to the Highwind

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-12-22 18:20:00 »
Hmmm...I'm still not having any idea where it is. What continent is it on? Can you tell me if it's near a town so I can look on the map in the strategy guide?

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-12-22 18:45:11 »
Hi
It is a location deep inside the north crater.
As you go deeper and deeper (the last level before you fight the last boss etc) you will have to split up the team, one route takes you through a dark rocky terrain and the other takes you through a brightly lit lake area. That is the "golden lake" I referred to - I have no recollection of the area or the items in that area to help you out im afraid.

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-12-22 20:18:43 »
Well, if it's in the north crater and you can't leave once you enter, how do you get the master materia?  :?

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-12-23 06:08:55 »
1). You CAN leave the North Crater, as long as you don't go pass the area where the two parties rejoin. You can climb out at the top and get to the rope to re-join the airship.

2). Here's a simple way to get 3 master materias including: Master Command (yellow), Master Magic (green), and Master Summons (red). Simply defeat Emerald Weapon.

First, go to the underwater area in Junon (close to the sub's). Have one of your character's equip the"Morph" Materia in a weapon. Roam the 2-3 sections of the 'glass hallway' before the final elevator. Once you get in a fight with a "Ghost Ship", make sure the char. with the Morph makes the last "killing" blow ('Sense' materia helps). You will get the "Guide Book". Take it to an old man in Kalm, in an upstairs room. He will give the "Underwater" materia. This will remove the timer from the Emerald Weapon fight (which might be helpful).

If/when you defeat Emerald Weapon, you will get the "Earth Harp". Take it back to the old man in Kalm, and he will give you the "Masters Set" in trade for it.

P.S. If you can defeat Ruby Weapon, you'll receive the "Desert Rose". The Old Man will give you a Gold Chocobo for it.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-12-23 09:51:42 »
Mighty hard to beat Emerald Weapon though, you have been warned.
But if you do beat him, most of your materia will get mastered.
If you had been reading all the posts correctly you would have already realised you can come back from the Northern Crater
You can go pretty deep into the Northern Crater and go back. Just don't go fight Safer Sephiroth.

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-12-23 14:04:37 »
Hmm, okay, thank you. I've never beaten either of the weapons before, unfortunately. They kick my ass :/ Which do I fight first, Emerald or Ruby?

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-12-23 17:13:09 »
Emerald Weapon is MUCH easier to beat than Ruby. Just be aware that his "Tam Storm" attack is based on the total number of materias posessed by your party. W-Summon/KotR and Mime materia, along with Final Attack/Phoenix helps a lot. He's got 400,000-500,000 HP's.

Ruby Weapon is MUCH,MUCH harder. He's got 2,000,000 HP. And he starts off with a "Sand Storm" attack that sucks away a random party member. Most guides suggest going into the battle with 2 party members DEAD to avoid this. Plus, if you use KotR, he/it responds with Ultima immediately after the casting (including in-between W-Summons).This is almost always certain death. You will probably need a mastered Final Attack/Phoenix pair.

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-12-23 17:52:01 »

Oh dear. I have never had the W-Summon or Final Attack materia ;_; Where exactly do you get them? I've never had KotR because I never cared to breed gold chocobos...

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-12-23 21:18:59 »
Have you ever looked around at www.gamefaqs.com ?
They have a lot of guides for everything that kinda covers the gameplay.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-12-26 00:43:45 »
Fighting Ruby weapon is like going in to the Boxing ring with just Cloud and that big mother...
With Emerald it is possible to fight a good fight and use your own tactics (depending on the strenght of your team), but when you fight Ruby you are most likely to follow the one pattern (w-summon, Hades, KOTR).

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #21 on: 2006-12-27 21:25:43 »
Quote from: RW_66
Just be aware that his "Tam Storm" attack is based on the total number of materias posessed by your party.

It does 1111 damage for each materia a character has equipped. So more than 8 materia = instadeath. Final Attack + Phoenix helps of course.

Quote from: #Sen-chan#
Oh dear. I have never had the W-Summon or Final Attack materia

Both from the combat arena in gold saucer. Be prepared to spend lots of time battling. Get 32000 BP's and buy Cloud's Omni-Slash (Ultimate limit break), then use him with a 4xCut materia to get the 64000 you need  for W-Summon. After that, go through the special match where you fight bosses to get Final Attack (8th battle is Proud Clod, so Cloud's Ultima Weapon +4xCut + Omnislash are fairly well essential.) Ultima Weapon is won buy killing the Ultima Weapon that floats around the world map.

And as noted by ChaosControl, Gamefaqs is your friend ;)

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007-01-12 05:03:02 »
i got all of them with yuffi and conformer last limit

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007-01-16 20:39:24 »

Both from the combat arena in gold saucer. Be prepared to spend lots of time battling. Get 32000 BP's and buy Cloud's Omni-Slash (Ultimate limit break), then use him with a 4xCut materia to get the 64000 you need  for W-Summon. After that, go through the special match where you fight bosses to get Final Attack (8th battle is Proud Clod, so Cloud's Ultima Weapon +4xCut + Omnislash are fairly well essential.) Ultima Weapon is won buy killing the Ultima Weapon that floats around the world map.

Is it possible to put the one "Save point Anywhere" item in the Gold Saucer Battle Square area? I don't remember what it's really called. But I remember that there's an item you get where you can create a save point anywhere you want. I always stuck in in the Northern Cave. But now I'm wondering if you could put it in the Battle Square area. That way you could fight some fights, save and then restart without losing your points.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007-01-17 07:16:51 »
Once you get the Save point item, use the w-item trick (I dont know if it works, just recalling from memory) to get more or use an editor and go stick a save point in the battle square.

I think I did that once.