Author Topic: XG midi on windows vista?  (Read 7997 times)

DarkShadowRage

• View Profile
XG midi on windows vista?
« on: 2009-09-14 19:17:05 »
I installed FF7 on my moms pc so she could play as well.
she has windows vista ultimate. The game works fine but is there a way to get the XG midi on vista?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: XG midi on windows vista?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-09-14 19:21:21 »
I dont think so, you could try ff7music with the psf plugin. I think that would be your best bet

DarkShadowRage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-09-14 19:26:12 »
when i go in the ff7 midi player i can select the XG lgp and it sounds great on here...but in the FF7 setup when i select yamaha there is virtually no drums in the song but in the ff7 midi there is...is there a way to make the game use the XG lgp? with the microsoft sythesizer device?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-09-14 19:29:58 »
when i go in the ff7 midi player i can select the XG lgp and it sounds great on here...but in the FF7 setup when i select yamaha there is virtually no drums in the song but in the ff7 midi there is...is there a way to make the game use the XG lgp? with the microsoft sythesizer device?

Like i said before XG doesnt work with vista. It uses its own midi driver which is not compatible with the microsoft synthesizer

DarkShadowRage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-09-14 19:39:16 »
well is there anyway to use the microsoft syth driver instead of the microsoft GS?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-14 20:04:45 »
well is there anyway to use the microsoft syth driver instead of the microsoft GS?

No

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-09-15 00:25:04 »
maybe try timidty++ with a custom soundfont?  IMHO, it's the best sound you can get with straight MIDI without having to wrestle with FF7music(which i could never get working to my liking).  timidty++ lets you use SoundBlaster soundfonts even if you don't own a SB branded card.  Great program.

Not sure if timidty++ works with Vista though, but thought i'd at least let you know about it.  There are a number of FF7 exclusive soundfonts, and it makes a HUGE difference in the overall quality of the music.

lee

zaphod77

• View Profile
    • Super Сasual Dating Real Women
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-25 18:23:35 »
The only way to get XG midi working on vista is buy the XG VST instrument from yamaha (or buy it) and then use a midi loopback driver and VST host.

We do not condone talk of piracy.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-25 18:36:13 by sl1982 »

zaphod77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-26 01:12:13 »
Well, this particular product is rather difficult to buy.  Even more difficult than final fantasy 7 itself.  In fact, i don't know where to buy it at all. Yamaha seems to have dropped it. I think it might be bundled with some midi sequencers, but i'll be darned if I know which ones.

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-26 05:49:26 »
I thought you can grab demo version somewhere, but I just remember the 'demo' is VSTi, not stand-alone softsynth driver.  Anyway, even if you can get it, I don't think you can use it with Vista and 7.

zaphod77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-27 04:41:23 »
You are probably thinking of Midradio player. It DOES actually contain a (crippled) vsti inside of it, and this vsti can be extracted and patched.

It is NOT full XG, though, and therefore useless to us final fantasy 7 PC players. Attempting to patch it into a proper VSTi may violate the DMCA, and I do not know how to do it, or where to find out how. It is, however, probably not technically piracy.

SOL2 is the $400+ sequencer program that has the real VSTi, and it's japan only.  You might be able to buy in from amazon.co.jp. :)

But at that price, it's cheaper just to buy a copy of XP and install that, then use the ms update cab to get sy50XG.

The only legal way to get a full XG softsynth in vista is to buy SOL2.

There are other demos, but they are not vstis, and will not work on anything after XP.

BTW, the sw1000XG does in fact have windows 7 drivers, if you can get one.  This will do a respectable job.

SOL2 does in fact have a trial, but you will need to find it with the wayback machine. This trial does contain the sy50xg vsti trial version setup (it cuts out after 30 seconds).
« Last Edit: 2011-04-27 05:10:03 by zaphod77 »

zaphod77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-11-07 04:16:00 »
I know this is a necrobump, but i have new information on the topic, so it belongs here in this thread.

Turn out that VSTi can not be bought by any means!

even the full version of SOL2 only came with the trial s-yxg50 VSTi, or so i've been told.

The full version was never actually released!  Yamaha decided to discontinue the product before it was even sold to stop competing with their hardware synths.

I'm actually trying to get in touch with yamaha to try and find out how to buy it, and if it can't be bought, if they care about it being hacked.  Will report back once i find out the legal status of this particular VSTi.

Ok, having got in touch with Yamaha, turns out they do still care.

These are the following legitimate ways to get XG midi with final fantasy 7. ALL OTHERs are not legit.

1) be running windows 9x.  use the one you get with the game.
2) have a soundcard that comes with the synth, and uses windows 98.
3) upgrade 1 or 2 above to xp, and get the update from MS to upgrade it to XP. 
4) run xp or earlier in a virtual machine and use one of the above.
5) use one of the above and record looping oggs of the xg songs to plug into steam version.  (or find someone else who's done this)
6) install a soundcard with hardware XG support and drivers for your OS.  good luck finding one of them now.
7) buy a hardware xg tone generator, and hook it up to pc with a midi interface. (this is what Yamaha wants you to do)

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Mu-80-Sound-Module-Ancestor/dp/B004AP3OCM is the one you want.

Installing from the ms cab file by hand is something Yamaha doesn't really care about, because they believe xp will completely die soon enough, and yamaha is NOT bothering to ask MS to take down the files. The guy pretty much said "xp is dying we don't care, those files won't be around forever".

To be clear on number 3. you can manually install the driver on xp for the softsynth from ms, and you need no activation key.  This is legal if you own a copy of s-yxg50 software.  Owning ff7 non steam version DOES count for this. (s-yxg70 is simply s-yxg20 and s-yxg50 combined into one product. nice math. :) )  So does owning a soundcard that came with it (you will have a certificate with a key on it if this is so)

If you bought the steam version but not the disc version, you do NOT own a copy of the softsynth, and installing the update cab by hand is piracy, though yamaha doesn't really care about it, since it's limited to XP.

If you are on vista/7/8/10 you gotta buy the hardware tone generator, since you cannot buy the VSTi, since yamaha is refusing to sell it, and never has sold it.

Sucks, but them's the breaks.  If you have the disc, use XP or earlier to get working midi.

And no, grabbing a copy of the yamaha samples and using timidity++ isn't legit either, as you are violating copyright on their samples.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-08 00:14:42 by zaphod77 »