Author Topic: PSX2 emulator that the authors claims works...  (Read 18324 times)

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
PSX2 emulator that the authors claims works...
« on: 2001-03-14 17:21:00 »
I'm not sure just how serious to take it, I hardly believe it could be any good. I mean, how can you emulate the PSX2 on anything even remotely close to today's PC hardware? Caching stuff in video memory without the game knowing about it? In that case it won't work when the programmers learn to use the bus more actively.

Anyway, here is the link: http://ekafemulator.virtualave.net/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://ekafemulator.virtualave.net/index.htm

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-03-14 17:37:00 »
ive seen a few supposed PS2 emus even b4 it was released in the usa! they cant work without a bios, but youll never find a PS2 bios on the net , thats for sure

sENGzAI

• View Profile
    • http://ksfung.hypermart.net
« Reply #2 on: 2001-03-14 18:38:00 »
The Skillster,

can u tell me where u saw the few PS2 emu ???

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-03-14 20:08:00 »
i saw the link from a msg board looong time ago, the d/l was about 0.5mg and was 1 exe and thats it.

J*** H*******

« Reply #4 on: 2001-03-14 22:59:00 »
Message.

dagsverre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-03-15 02:16:00 »
Of course it is right! If the ripper spinned the DVDs at normal speed they would dissolve (or rather, the internal anti-pirating mechanism releases a strong acid from hidden chambers in the DVD), so it spins them a little slower. The problem is that while the plate spins slower the head doesn't synchronize and so you get the parity error. Easy!

Actually I did bite on this one, thanks for enlightening me.

dagsverre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-03-15 02:17:00 »
...and why are all the mirrors on the same URL? :-)

oglsmm77

« Reply #7 on: 2001-03-15 05:46:00 »
I don't know about the emulator, but I already have a PS2 bios file, that I got on the net from the Japenese version of the PS2.  Gotta go.......... Survivor is on....

Regards,

OGLSMM

J*** H*******

« Reply #8 on: 2001-03-16 02:03:00 »
Message.

tulkk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2001-03-16 14:35:00 »
Well since im an emu programmer myself i have to say that emulating the ps2 hardware isn't easy, but fully possible... We have lot's of xtra things on the PC like geforce cards and stuff like that that'll help us out.. And about the Bios... it's not nessesery for an emu to work.. an direct hw-emu would give me an headache.. but let's say an HLE.. that.. would take a tad longer, but less programming for individual games support.. I'd say it's just a matter of time before we se a working ps2 emu.. (i've learned to respect the emu possibilities since realityman proved me wrong in the late 90's with their emu).. But please don't bug me about starting up a PS2HLE project... i'm far to busy with my other projects, and besides i don't give a rat's as for PS2... it s0x (IMO) ;p

dagsverre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-03-16 17:04:00 »
As an emu programmer, what is your view on the bus speed issue? Since PSX2 games will be programmed to push gigabytes over the bus, but hardly consume any memory, how are the new and faster cards going to help you out as they focus on keeping more and more in memory?

tulkk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2001-03-16 17:10:00 »
Well... that's a big issue indeed... but there should be a way to solve that to.. like virtualbus's.. I haven't looked into that... But on the other hand, the games (maybe sum o' them) aren't programmed in that way yet, and the PC hw is a fast market.. so in time we may have the hw it takes to emulate the PS2..

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-03-16 18:39:00 »
u code emus? great!
which ones? ill be gald to play test them for u  :D

tulkk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-03-17 02:13:00 »
Heh, well a few years ago i started on a Gameboy Emu that later became a GBColor Emu but it was never released to public.. the name of the emu was `CuteGal´..
Acctually i think dboy was the first emu (PD at least) that supported Color.. and my emu followed soon.. Just for fun i was going to add Support for a special MCB5 rom.. Gameboy Camera.. and so i did  :) but then i got an idea to make it possible to use a webcam to take pictures with the emu and the rom, so i started coding... when i got my face off the screen 1 week later i discovered that there was like a 100 Gbc emus out there and that totally killed my project..  :( so i put it to rest for good (at least so I tought)..
But one day, after reading about Nintendos upcoming dream machine.. Gameboy advance.. I remembered my old emu.. and heh, i liked the name of it `CuteGal´ kinnda cathy dontya think?  :wink: so i started to collect info on the hw of the GBA et voilá `CuteGalAdvance´ was born  :) it's not yet released to public, maybe it will maybe it won't.. we'll see..
but anyway i've started to code another emu.. it's a spectrum emu for GBA  :) I got "The Hobbit" up an running on CuteGalAdvance  :D
I also done a couple of emus that doesn't have anything to do with games/consoles.. but they aren't worth mentioning...

tulkk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-03-17 02:21:00 »
ohh.. btw... I got the source for pNesx from Racoon himself and i've sniffed a lil on it.. I'm thinking about continue the emu.. maybe i should port it to PS2 directly.. hmm.... well anyway, at least i removed those nasty bugs in the final releases Pnesx Aloha and Pnesx Sydney(not PD, released to friends after Racoon quit the scene).. The bugfixes include removing the fliptile offset error and a slight improvement in the sound... hehm sorry, but the source isn't PD either.. get in touch with Racoon.. if ya know japanese it will help you a lot *^^*

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: 2001-04-13 16:11:00 »
Did anyone try the emu?

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-04-15 15:33:00 »
Um, if you are making an emu, can you make an emu that will work great even on computers without GeForce cards or 3d cards like VGS?

tulkk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2001-04-15 23:41:00 »
joey... dear joey...

I'm not making an PS2Emu, and I never will.. hmm... an PSX/PS2 emu that doesn't need to use a great graphic card to run... wOw! why haven't anybdy thought of that before?? *sarcasm* =P ...before you just ramble bull'Sh in the air, you could at least try to use your brain.. (i mean, that's just plain stupid) *no offence*

or... mebe you mean an emu that uses another decent card like some older voodoo (decent? ..heh).. but anyway, if you reed trough the whole topic you should have noticed that the PC isn't cabable of runing an PS2EMu with it's barehardware (bus thingie)...

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 2001-04-15 23:58:00 »
My goodness ... 24 posts and already you're swearing at Joey ... it takes most people at least 50 posts to reach that stage ...

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2001-04-16 05:41:00 »
BAH! We should all stop swearing at Joey. That giveing him attention that is. And the more attention we give him the more crap he will post. What we need is short sharp and brutal phrases to say to him that are A:Not very nice at all or B: Dont make any sense.

So Joey! You are a flying cake of depression!

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2001-04-16 19:43:00 »
But Cake is nice and undeppressing its been proven, summit in icing sugar.

Joey you areb a flying turd of depression

« Reply #21 on: 2001-04-16 21:50:00 »
Ficedula: Kids today grow up too fast.  :wink:

Sir Canealot: Heh. And which category would that one fall under?

Joey, the corpulence of your true amount of knowledge is vomitorial.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #22 on: 2001-04-16 22:26:00 »
I think Joey's problem is due to the aardvark stuck in his head named General Robert E. Lee.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2001-04-16 23:29:00 »
Yea thats more like it.
Lets see what crap the Vaunted Joey posts back to that lot!

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2001-04-17 00:05:00 »
Joey you are a floating mouldy pancake which is spewing up shit!