Author Topic: FF7 missing PSFs  (Read 9982 times)

Myria kitty

• View Profile
FF7 missing PSFs
« on: 2008-01-21 17:52:44 »
I was making a new version of the list of .mid -> .psf mappings for what I was working on.  I noticed that four MIDI files don't map to any of the .psf files:

cintro.mid - Similar to 305 Those Chosen by the Planet
comical.mid - A song I've never heard before
mogu.mid - Truncated version of 403 Highwind Takes to the Skies
tb.mid - 201 FF VII Main Theme, but starts at a different point in the loop

Anyone have PSFs of these songs?  Similarly, does anyone know how to decompress .psf files?  It might be a matter of simple editing to have the .psf files load these songs.

mogu.mid and possibly tb.mid could be hacked out of the other files if absolutely necessary...

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: FF7 missing PSFs
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-21 18:53:21 »
I wish I could help with your technical problems, but all I can do is point out that nointro.mid also doesn't map to the psf or mp3.  NOINTRO, CEHPIROS, and CINTRO are all basically the same song.  Cephiros is the entire song, Cintro is just the bell and drums, and Nointro is Cephiros without beginning drum beats. 

I think in the PSX version instead of having 3 separate files the game perhaps only read and repeated Cephiros at certain points depending on where you were in the game.  Same thing with Tb.

I could very easily create Mogu and Nointro into mp3's if you can find a way to implement them into FF7Music.  Also comical.mid is never used ingame

Myria kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-21 19:00:54 »
In the PSF set I have, nointro.mid maps to "904 Those Chosen By the Planet (Variation)".  The .mid and this .minipsf sound the same to me.  cephiros.mid maps to "305 Those Chosen By the Planet".

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-21 19:54:44 »
I have the 904 psf too, but without a nointro to map it to in FF7Music how did you get it to work?

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-21 21:10:28 »
comical.mid is not used in the game at all, which might explain it.

Myria kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-22 00:41:12 »
I have the 904 psf too, but without a nointro to map it to in FF7Music how did you get it to work?

I figure out which song is being played by hooking the game's play MIDI function rather than try to recognize the notes.  This has several advantages, like recognizing mogu.mid, which would be indistinguishable from the hiku.mid at the time FF7Music must decide.

How is the music stored in FF7 PSX?  I can't tell whether it uses MIDI filenames since everything seems compressed.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-22 03:33:43 »
 I think I misunderstood your post.  I thought you had nointro.mid substituted with psf 904 so the game played the psf instead of the midi, thats why I was asking how you did it.
In my first post I was just pointing out that nointro is not recognized by FF7Music so you could add that to your list of MIDI's that need mapping.

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-22 06:12:12 »
Anyone have PSFs of these songs?  Similarly, does anyone know how to decompress .psf files?  It might be a matter of simple editing to have the .psf files load these songs.
FF7 PSFs is pretty easy to understand.
*.psflib file is extracted FF7 sound engine. It reads it's sequence data from offset 0x801d0000. If you need to play specific AKAO sequence (you can read it just "track"), you need to inject it to 0x801d0000 offset (refer to http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/PSX/Sound/AKAO_frames for AKAO sequence information (if you want to inject sequence, you'll need to have it's size, which is in sequence header)). Simply just open PSFLab, do "Import binary data" set import offset to 0x801d0000, and push button "play" to hear if everything is correct. You just need to find AKAO sequence in PSX memory of needed track (there is a lot more AKAO tracks in fields, that isn't in ripped PSF's around the net).

NOINTRO, CEHPIROS, and CINTRO are all basically the same song.  Cephiros is the entire song, Cintro is just the bell and drums, and Nointro is Cephiros without beginning drum beats.
This tracks probably created by manipulating active channels (see "Channel info" section of http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/PSX/Sound/AKAO_frames), you can experiment with entire track and get behaviour you need.

"904 Those Chosen By the Planet (Variation)"
All PSF's with "Variation" in it's name is the same track, but tuned with few options, which can be simply identified by comparing sequence (FF7 PSX sequence format is near it's completion, I need a little more time :) ).

How is the music stored in FF7 PSX?  I can't tell whether it uses MIDI filenames since everything seems compressed.
Read this: http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/PSX/PSX_Sound , or PM me for what you need to know.

Ravich

« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-04 03:37:02 »
Hello everyone, I thought I would bump this topic (and register) because I've been looking for a way to convert PSX music files (mostly FF) into MIDI for several months now.

I ended up coming across pgconv a little while back and attempted to get it to work, but I recently was advised that FF games didnt use standard Sony driver files, and that I would need a program such as akao2mid in order to get the job done. I havent really had any luck finding additional information, so I thought I would try posting here...

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-04 03:40:17 »
Hello everyone, I thought I would bump this topic (and register) because I've been looking for a way to convert PSX music files (mostly FF) into MIDI for several months now.

I ended up coming across pgconv a little while back and attempted to get it to work, but I recently was advised that FF games didn't use standard Sony driver files, and that I would need a program such as akao2mid in order to get the job done. I haven't really had any luck finding additional information, so I thought I would try posting here...

It is customary to read forum rules before posting. Necromancy of dead topics isn't something that people like around here.
But, to answer your question, I think the PSF files are included in the FF7 Music download. A copy of the program and a tutorial to install it can be found here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8493.0

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-04 05:16:21 »

I ended up coming across pgconv a little while back and attempted to get it to work, but I recently was advised that FF games didn't use standard Sony driver files, and that I would need a program such as akao2mid in order to get the job done. I haven't really had any luck finding additional information, so I thought I would try posting here...

It is customary to read forum rules before posting. Necromancy of dead topics isn't something that people like around here.
But, to answer your question, I think the PSF files are included in the FF7 Music download. A copy of the program and a tutorial to install it can be found here:
Mendelevium, he's not asking for the PSF files. He's trying to CONVERT them. Also, my bundle does not include the PSF files. They're legal gray area, so I left them out. They can easily be found at zophar.net, as well as probably a number of other places.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-04 05:21:22 »

Mendelevium, he's not asking for the PSF files. He's trying to CONVERT them. Also, my bundle does not include the PSF files. They're legal gray area, so I left them out. They can easily be found at zophar.net, as well as probably a number of other places.

My bad. Lol. I thought he just wanted them to work in the game. *wasn't really thinking.*
And secondly I thought you did? Maybe it was the remix mod that included them. XD.