Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836964 times)

Kade

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8925 on: 2020-02-10 22:15:33 »
Hello!

I applied the new threat patch to the steam version of FF7.  Everything appears to work, but I'm unable to create a save file.  I receive the "not enough space left on the save data file" error.  Additionally, my R1, R2, L1, L2 buttons don't seem to map correctly, but that's obviously a smaller issue.

I receive the error regardless of cloud saves being enabled/disabled and I'm running the launcher and exe file in administrator mode.  Any pointers?  I really want to play this mod.  Thanks!!

I'll let other more knowledgeable people help with the save file issue, but as far as the button mapping, what type of controller are you using and are using Steam for mapping or another program like DS4Windows? Does it just not respond when trying to map things in-game to the shoulder buttons?

I'm personally using DS4Windows instead of Steam with my PS4 controller, as it's the only way I was personally able to get both the Dpad and left stick to both work. I've never been able to get it to recognize L2/R2 buttons inputs on any controller I've tried. It will recognize L3/R3 (pressing the left or right control stick) so I just remapped those to L2 and R2 in DS4.

brian03

• View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: 2020-02-10 22:43:33 »
Thanks for the reply. 

Just took of administrator mode & nothing changed.

Running Windows 10, 20 gb free on my boot drive (where saves are stored) and 500 gb free on game drive.

Vanilla version of the game saved without a problem.  I've tried reinstalled and patching but to no avail. 

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: 2020-02-10 23:58:19 »
Thanks for the reply. 

Just took of administrator mode & nothing changed.

Running Windows 10, 20 gb free on my boot drive (where saves are stored) and 500 gb free on game drive.

Vanilla version of the game saved without a problem.  I've tried reinstalled and patching but to no avail. 

I'll guess it's the .exe being patched by the installer running afoul of something, perhaps it can't write to the boot drive if it's protected and the patched .exe isn't fully cleared with the system.

Try this; uninstall and then reinstall the game in a non-protected folder outside of the default location Steam usually installs games to if it isn't already. Take a backup of your default .exe (ff7_en.exe for steam). Apply the NT installer (in admin mode).

To test this, take the patched NT ff7_en.exe out and put the default one back in. The mod can run without its .exe component as it doesn't contain required data (it's Limit Breaks, a few QoLs like Sense Limit expanded, and Materia equip bonuses). If the game allows saving through this .exe then we can assume it was the patched NT .exe being blocked from writing to the boot drive. It's maybe changed for Windows 10, but if you right-click into the patched .exe's property and see a 'unblock' button then that can do the trick; otherwise it might need to be cleared with antivirus by setting up an exception. If all else fails, the .exe can be left out and a default one used instead.

As for free space, I was meaning the total size of the drive being a potential cause, which the game would probably use to calculate the remaining free space. If the game is using a small enough value to store this then it might encounter problems if it overflowed into negative values. But I don't think I've heard of an issue like that affecting anyone so it's unlikely to be this. It'll probably be the .exe as that handles the read/write for save files.

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: 2020-02-11 08:28:00 »
Apologies if t his has been discussed before, but I am quite perturbed and have no idea how to proceed.

I'm using New Threat with 7th Heaven, and have the following mod install order:
Miscellaneous - Dynamic Cloud Weapons
Miscellaneous - Jessie Mod
Miscellaneous - Team Avalanche Fields
Battle Models - Weapons
Field Models - Objects
Animations
Battle Models - Enemies
Remako HD Graphics Mod v1.0 - Battle Textures (battle)
Field Models - Main Characters
Field Models - Non-Player Characters
FF7 NT IRO
Remako HD Graphics Mod v1.0 - Pre-Rendered Backgrounds (field + char + minigames)
Menu - Avatars and Backdrops
Minigames Collection
Spell Textures
World Models - Characters
World Models - Enemies
World Models - Vehicles

Unfortunately, as soon as this scene (https://imgur.com/rkX82Kf) happens, things start going wrong in very strange ways. Notice the bizarre text box. That's the second broken one (the first belongs to Jessie), and the rest of the boxes in this scene in the elevator are broken in similar ways.

I don't know if any more text boxes are also broken, because I've never gotten to the next dialog after the elevator, because the other bug has giving me multiple game overs. The second encounter in the zone after the elevator has twice been a super high level monster that one-shotted all my characters. One battle was in the Rocket Town background against something I didn't recognize, while the other seemed to be in a warehouse of some sort, against a guy named Zangan, I think.

Since this happens before I reach the first save point, and it takes a solid 10 minutes to go from "NEW GAME" to this scene, it's pretty annoying... lol

Aaaaand while I was writing this post, I decided to try a hunch I had, just in case. I disabled the Jessie Mod from 7H, and yup, that fixed it. No more broken dialog, no more incorrect spawns.

Which means this is probably a well-known issue. But even if it's not, perhaps a note in the original post about this wouldn't be amiss? I just blew well over an hour trying to figure this out. :(

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: 2020-02-11 10:45:57 »
So here's a debrief on it.

The Jessie mod was released with a 'chunk' in its files that overwrites the encounter tables and makes them default. As this mod doesn't actually alter the encounters at all, it's an unnecessary inclusion that breaks NT's modified encounter table. So I made a version of the Jessie mod with this chunk removed, but the incompatible one is still in circulation.

Fixed Jessie Mod:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/825mu1w33g83ruh/Jessie_IRO_Compatability_Patched.iro/file

Import that via 7h's library tab and use it instead. I think I'll post this on the front page of the NT thread cause this comes up a lot. One thing to note though, the dialog boxes are broken in the jessie mod even with no other mods installed because I guess Grimmy forgot to resize the boxes when he altered dialogue in there. I can't recall if I corrected them or not in that adjusted IRO.

matiasperalta

• View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: 2020-02-12 00:15:23 »
No, it's not normal. What's happened is that the wrong encounters are being loaded. This is either due to the kernel not being patched properly (symptom of a bad 7th heaven install) or another mod has changed the encounter table in the fields. If you're using 7H could you tell me what other mods are on?

Im having the same issue. I'm pretty lost about the order of the mods, because there are new ones and I don't know where to place them. Could you help me?

« Reply #8931 on: 2020-02-12 03:33:00 »
this mod is fantastic, love your work. my only question is, im guessing it's not possible for a PSX version due to the sheer amount of work you've put in? do you happen to know of any PSX FF7 mods that hold a candle to this? seems like the only thing close is Lost Wing

cheers and thanks again.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: 2020-02-12 08:56:28 »

Im having the same issue. I'm pretty lost about the order of the mods, because there are new ones and I don't know where to place them. Could you help me?

The following are incompatible:
-) Beacause (changes fields)
-) Jessie Mod (unless you use the patched one I've linked on first page of this thread)
-) Any other gameplay-type mod (tweaks and cheats may be OK)

It's best to stick to graphical-only mods when using NT. Anything that changes text is out because it all lives in the same files as the field event scripts.

Mod load order is done by type:
Battle Models - Weapons
Field Models - Objects
Animations
Battle Models - Characters
Battle Models - Enemies
Battle Textures
Field Textures - Omzy/satsuki/yarLson
Gameplay - Difficulty and Story
Gameplay - Tweaks and Cheats
Media - Movies
Media - Music and Sound
Minigames - Chocobo Race
Minigames - Coaster
Minigames - Fort Condor
Minigames - Motorbike Chase
Minigames - Wonder Square
Spell Textures
The Reunion - Beacause and Menu Overhaul
World Models - Enemies
World Models - Vehicles
World Textures

If you still get wrong encounters even with just NT on its own, then 7H isn't installed correctly. Uninstall the game and rund game converter to uninstall its registry changes and start fresh, make sure you follow the 7h tutorial as exactly as you can and install the game into non-system drives. When all else fails, NT can be direct-patched using its main installer if 7h proves to be a no-go.

this mod is fantastic, love your work. my only question is, im guessing it's not possible for a PSX version due to the sheer amount of work you've put in? do you happen to know of any PSX FF7 mods that hold a candle to this? seems like the only thing close is Lost Wing

cheers and thanks again.

PSX version has limitations that make a direct port unfeasible. Better thing to do would be to just make a new mod with parts of NT and try to take advantage of some things that PSX offers like being able to use up to 9 unique discs of data (each one having its own scene.bin + kernel.bin + flevel).

brian03

• View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: 2020-02-12 14:26:26 »
I'll guess it's the .exe being patched by the installer running afoul of something, perhaps it can't write to the boot drive if it's protected and the patched .exe isn't fully cleared with the system.

Try this; uninstall and then reinstall the game in a non-protected folder outside of the default location Steam usually installs games to if it isn't already. Take a backup of your default .exe (ff7_en.exe for steam). Apply the NT installer (in admin mode).

To test this, take the patched NT ff7_en.exe out and put the default one back in. The mod can run without its .exe component as it doesn't contain required data (it's Limit Breaks, a few QoLs like Sense Limit expanded, and Materia equip bonuses). If the game allows saving through this .exe then we can assume it was the patched NT .exe being blocked from writing to the boot drive. It's maybe changed for Windows 10, but if you right-click into the patched .exe's property and see a 'unblock' button then that can do the trick; otherwise it might need to be cleared with antivirus by setting up an exception. If all else fails, the .exe can be left out and a default one used instead.

As for free space, I was meaning the total size of the drive being a potential cause, which the game would probably use to calculate the remaining free space. If the game is using a small enough value to store this then it might encounter problems if it overflowed into negative values. But I don't think I've heard of an issue like that affecting anyone so it's unlikely to be this. It'll probably be the .exe as that handles the read/write for save files.

Thanks for the lengthy reply.  I moved the installation to my boot drive, cleared things with Bitdefender and I can save!!  There was no need to use the original exe file, I used the patched version and all seems to be well.  Thanks again for your help!

brian03

• View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: 2020-02-12 14:29:32 »
I'll let other more knowledgeable people help with the save file issue, but as far as the button mapping, what type of controller are you using and are using Steam for mapping or another program like DS4Windows? Does it just not respond when trying to map things in-game to the shoulder buttons?

I'm personally using DS4Windows instead of Steam with my PS4 controller, as it's the only way I was personally able to get both the Dpad and left stick to both work. I've never been able to get it to recognize L2/R2 buttons inputs on any controller I've tried. It will recognize L3/R3 (pressing the left or right control stick) so I just remapped those to L2 and R2 in DS4.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller through USB and have never had to do any button mapping on Steam games, it works (or rather, worked) natively.  In game, I actually can't map any buttons on the controller, the game only provides options for keyboard mapping.  Since shoulder buttons aren't used that much in this game, maybe I'll just settle for keyboard usage.  Thanks for replying!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: 2020-02-12 15:38:30 »
Thanks for the lengthy reply.  I moved the installation to my boot drive, cleared things with Bitdefender and I can save!!  There was no need to use the original exe file, I used the patched version and all seems to be well.  Thanks again for your help!

No worries, glad it's cleared up.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller through USB and have never had to do any button mapping on Steam games, it works (or rather, worked) natively.  In game, I actually can't map any buttons on the controller, the game only provides options for keyboard mapping.  Since shoulder buttons aren't used that much in this game, maybe I'll just settle for keyboard usage.  Thanks for replying!

I personally use keyboard due to how messed up the keybinding can be for this game. The original port was in 1998 before analogs were an industry standard (or if they existed at all) so it tends to treat controllers erratically. A WASD - HJKL set up tends to work well for D-Pad and the Action buttons. Shoulders can be a bit awkward; I use IO for L1 and R1 as they're right above the action buttons and more commonly used than L2 R2.

Karsh Highwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: 2020-02-12 23:48:15 »
I've added the mod order to the FFVII 1.5 NT Documentation so the answer to mods used with NT will be available. The document can be found on page 1 for those of you curious.

As a reminder, should you see anything that is incorrect or you have some data you can contribute, use the comment feature in the document. Also, my apologies for the lack of progress on the document, work and family has had me tied up. Once that dies down, I'll get back to it!

Spoiler: show

The following are incompatible:
-) Beacause (changes fields)
-) Jessie Mod (unless you use the patched one I've linked on first page of this thread)
-) Any other gameplay-type mod (tweaks and cheats may be OK)

It's best to stick to graphical-only mods when using NT. Anything that changes text is out because it all lives in the same files as the field event scripts.

Mod load order is done by type:
Battle Models - Weapons
Field Models - Objects
Animations
Battle Models - Characters
Battle Models - Enemies
Battle Textures
Field Textures - Omzy/satsuki/yarLson
Gameplay - Difficulty and Story
Gameplay - Tweaks and Cheats
Media - Movies
Media - Music and Sound
Minigames - Chocobo Race
Minigames - Coaster
Minigames - Fort Condor
Minigames - Motorbike Chase
Minigames - Wonder Square
Spell Textures
The Reunion - Beacause and Menu Overhaul
World Models - Enemies
World Models - Vehicles
World Textures

If you still get wrong encounters even with just NT on its own, then 7H isn't installed correctly. Uninstall the game and rund game converter to uninstall its registry changes and start fresh, make sure you follow the 7h tutorial as exactly as you can and install the game into non-system drives. When all else fails, NT can be direct-patched using its main installer if 7h proves to be a no-go.

PSX version has limitations that make a direct port unfeasible. Better thing to do would be to just make a new mod with parts of NT and try to take advantage of some things that PSX offers like being able to use up to 9 unique discs of data (each one having its own scene.bin + kernel.bin + flevel).

Apoly

• View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: 2020-02-14 21:13:52 »
Great work! I'm gonna give it a try!

LiTTriuS

• View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: 2020-02-16 01:09:15 »
hi:

First of all i am currently playing this mode and....oh boy its awesome, thanks for the mod.

buuuuuuuuuuuuut i think i run into a issue here so let me explain:

i was playing in disc 3 going down the north crater and i took the left up path, all fine and working and in the final part of the path there is a boss, as should be aparently.

i defeat the thing and continue north crater, then cloud recive a call from the highwind that you should try the side quest stuff, so i went back and found another boss.

so a this part i start to think "oh maybe the other path have a boss as well".

i went back and took the right path and here is the issue, at the end to the path there is nothing, no boss.

this means that i cant get limited moon because a dont have the moon....pearl...stone...thingy.

i look in youtube and it should be at the end of the skeleton path but nothing is there in my save.

i dont know if it is because i trigger something when i arrived at the center that make the boss dissapear or something.

Also the guy in the highwind doesnt fix this because it is not a side quest :/.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-16 01:21:02 by LiTTriuS »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: 2020-02-16 11:59:19 »
hi:

First of all i am currently playing this mode and....oh boy its awesome, thanks for the mod.

buuuuuuuuuuuuut i think i run into a issue here so let me explain:

i was playing in disc 3 going down the north crater and i took the left up path, all fine and working and in the final part of the path there is a boss, as should be aparently.

i defeat the thing and continue north crater, then cloud recive a call from the highwind that you should try the side quest stuff, so i went back and found another boss.

so a this part i start to think "oh maybe the other path have a boss as well".

i went back and took the right path and here is the issue, at the end to the path there is nothing, no boss.

this means that i cant get limited moon because a dont have the moon....pearl...stone...thingy.

i look in youtube and it should be at the end of the skeleton path but nothing is there in my save.

i dont know if it is because i trigger something when i arrived at the center that make the boss dissapear or something.

Also the guy in the highwind doesnt fix this because it is not a side quest :/.

Ok, so it sounds like there's another thing deactivating that boss besides the inaccessible chest on the right-path (which can be accessed by way of a boundary-break). Send me your save file and I'll reactivate the variable, otherwise you can use a save editor to add the item in if you want to do it that way. The item in question will be called a Combat Diary in the editor. Make sure to have the FF7 Launcher open when making the edit, and save your game once when you load in; FF7 Steam has a check that activates whenever the Launcher is started to delete any save files that were edited/came from another PC.

LiTTriuS

• View Profile
« Reply #8940 on: 2020-02-16 13:06:31 »
Ok, so it sounds like there's another thing deactivating that boss besides the inaccessible chest on the right-path (which can be accessed by way of a boundary-break). Send me your save file and I'll reactivate the variable, otherwise you can use a save editor to add the item in if you want to do it that way. The item in question will be called a Combat Diary in the editor. Make sure to have the FF7 Launcher open when making the edit, and save your game once when you load in; FF7 Steam has a check that activates whenever the Launcher is started to delete any save files that were edited/came from another PC.

uuhhh.... i didnt consider that the chest could be the culprit XD.
meh it was wort it for the joke.

yep i open the chest so thats why it didnt appear, i gonna put the item with black chocobo, thanks for the answer

Fardale

• View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: 2020-02-16 18:28:33 »
Hey! Great mod! Loving the fresh experience.

Quick replicable bug:

Using hades on Platinum battle arena boss crashes the game every time. When it got toaded I felt naughty and excited at the same time :3 I was quickly punished for this sin. (cuz hades, lol?)

HautSaus

• View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: 2020-02-16 18:34:00 »
Going through arranged mode and trying out the randomiser for my level bonuses. There seems to be some kind of bug that while going through the menus, it takes away what kind of sources you're supposed to get. I was upgrading Cloud and all his options were 0-1-2 sources each stat, but I never got more than 5. Then I chose to upgrade RedXIII and his options were proper 0-5-10-15 sources each stat, but I went to check RedXIII's stats in the menu and when I went back to pick my upgrade they all changed to 0-1-2 sources, then I went back to the menu as if to check my stats again, and when I went back to the upgrade menu, all the options were 0 sources each.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: 2020-02-16 20:19:03 »
Hey! Great mod! Loving the fresh experience.

Quick replicable bug:

Using hades on Platinum battle arena boss crashes the game every time. When it got toaded I felt naughty and excited at the same time :3 I was quickly punished for this sin. (cuz hades, lol?)

It might be because of Frog status; do you have other mods on? It's happened a few times in the past but I always forget which mod it was.

Going through arranged mode and trying out the randomiser for my level bonuses. There seems to be some kind of bug that while going through the menus, it takes away what kind of sources you're supposed to get. I was upgrading Cloud and all his options were 0-1-2 sources each stat, but I never got more than 5. Then I chose to upgrade RedXIII and his options were proper 0-5-10-15 sources each stat, but I went to check RedXIII's stats in the menu and when I went back to pick my upgrade they all changed to 0-1-2 sources, then I went back to the menu as if to check my stats again, and when I went back to the upgrade menu, all the options were 0 sources each.

Yeah they go weird when the check stats option is used; I'll sort it in the update.

Fardale

• View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: 2020-02-17 12:51:05 »
It might be because of Frog status; do you have other mods on? It's happened a few times in the past but I always forget which mod it was.

Yeah they go weird when the check stats option is used; I'll sort it in the update.

Yeah, I have basically all of the 7th heaven mods on with 1.5 installed over / instead of the built in 'gameplay - difficulty and story' mod. I managed to beat it without hades in the end. Tho I thought i had found the easy hack :P tho I guess I enjoyed it more without cheesing it :D (Great designs and fights btw). The game didn't freeze-freeze, but rather the camera locked in a certain position and no attacks initiated and it froze that way.

probably been asked this before, but just out of interest, which fight was intended to be the hardest out of all the extras? :P I just realized that i've seen a certain boss fight on youtube from another game and haven't encountered it yet and a shiver just went down my spine...
That big floating sphere of despair...

clarkymark

• View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: 2020-02-17 13:59:49 »
Hello, first ever post on here.

I'm having issue playing the NT mod. It keeps crashing and giving error popup as soon as I get into the first fight. I know something isn't right as before that fight, if you go into the menu, cloud is already dead and I have a full item menu of potions (says 0 next to them).

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.It isn't the first mod i've done or anything so I do semi know what i'm doing. just this one I can't seem to get right.

Thanks anyway if someone sees this.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: 2020-02-17 16:09:11 »
Yeah, I have basically all of the 7th heaven mods on with 1.5 installed over / instead of the built in 'gameplay - difficulty and story' mod. I managed to beat it without hades in the end. Tho I thought i had found the easy hack :P tho I guess I enjoyed it more without cheesing it :D (Great designs and fights btw). The game didn't freeze-freeze, but rather the camera locked in a certain position and no attacks initiated and it froze that way.

probably been asked this before, but just out of interest, which fight was intended to be the hardest out of all the extras? :P I just realized that i've seen a certain boss fight on youtube from another game and haven't encountered it yet and a shiver just went down my spine...
That big floating sphere of despair...

I don't really know about the hardest one, I guess it'd be the Platinum Match purely because it's quite brute-force; not much attack variation, sky-high stats, etc.

Hello, first ever post on here.

I'm having issue playing the NT mod. It keeps crashing and giving error popup as soon as I get into the first fight. I know something isn't right as before that fight, if you go into the menu, cloud is already dead and I have a full item menu of potions (says 0 next to them).

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.It isn't the first mod i've done or anything so I do semi know what i'm doing. just this one I can't seem to get right.

Thanks anyway if someone sees this.

That sounds very unusual, especially the 0 item thing + Cloud being KO'd.

First off, if it has to be either the vanilla 1998 PC version, the 2012 Square-Enix version (which was discontinued by Square in favour of the Steam version), or the Steam version itself. If you've gotten hold of a 1998 version that has hacks pre-applied to it, like the Ultimania Edition or similar bootlegged copy, then there will be technical problems (though usually it's a case of not starting at all rather than what you describe).

If you have 7h set-up, then there's likely something very wrong there in the way it's been set up so I would uninstall everything and go through the tutorial steps again. If it's the 2.0 7h beta then might be worth checking in there as I don't know much about it issues-wise yet.

One thing I would do as well; set up the game without mods and see if it runs as expected. If so, then continue on with trying to get NT running on it.

clarkymark

• View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: 2020-02-17 18:35:56 »
I don't really know about the hardest one, I guess it'd be the Platinum Match purely because it's quite brute-force; not much attack variation, sky-high stats, etc.

That sounds very unusual, especially the 0 item thing + Cloud being KO'd.

First off, if it has to be either the vanilla 1998 PC version, the 2012 Square-Enix version (which was discontinued by Square in favour of the Steam version), or the Steam version itself. If you've gotten hold of a 1998 version that has hacks pre-applied to it, like the Ultimania Edition or similar bootlegged copy, then there will be technical problems (though usually it's a case of not starting at all rather than what you describe).

If you have 7h set-up, then there's likely something very wrong there in the way it's been set up so I would uninstall everything and go through the tutorial steps again. If it's the 2.0 7h beta then might be worth checking in there as I don't know much about it issues-wise yet.

One thing I would do as well; set up the game without mods and see if it runs as expected. If so, then continue on with trying to get NT running on it.

hey thanks for reply.

It is the steam version - I have previously used other mods on it (I do uninstall everything before doing another mod) and had no issues.

It works fine before installing the mod too.

It isnt the 7h setup. just normal.

Could it be, although I have uninstalled all previous mods and the game itself before re-installing - the game still have previous saves on it from the mods? even though i'm not using those saves and planned to just save over them? does that affect it? I have no idea how to completely delete all save data from previous games on steam, i've never had to before when doing different mods.

Also something else that is very slightly different from the 'readme' instructions - it does say to use the steam/steamapps/common/ff7/data folder to do the patch, well on mine, the data folder doesn't work for it, but the ff7 folder does (the one before the data folder) - I have no idea if that mades a difference. the data folder just says it doesn't have the right things to patch so I patch from the ff7.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: 2020-02-17 18:49:44 »
hey thanks for reply.

It is the steam version - I have previously used other mods on it (I do uninstall everything before doing another mod) and had no issues.

It works fine before installing the mod too.

It isnt the 7h setup. just normal.

Could it be, although I have uninstalled all previous mods and the game itself before re-installing - the game still have previous saves on it from the mods? even though i'm not using those saves and planned to just save over them? does that affect it? I have no idea how to completely delete all save data from previous games on steam, i've never had to before when doing different mods.

Also something else that is very slightly different from the 'readme' instructions - it does say to use the steam/steamapps/common/ff7/data folder to do the patch, well on mine, the data folder doesn't work for it, but the ff7 folder does (the one before the data folder) - I have no idea if that mades a difference. the data folder just says it doesn't have the right things to patch so I patch from the ff7.

The Steam version always runs its scene.bin (enemy data) and kernel.bin (character data) from the FF7/Data/Lang-en folder whereas the 1998 PC version (and a 7h game conversion) uses ff7/data/battle and ff7/data/kernel. Even if 7h was installed and a Game Converter process ran over it, you can still use the Steam version as-is by running ff7_en.exe (or through the Steam launcher). The NT installer patches both sets of files however, 1998 and Steam, to cover both versions.

Save files don't affect the starting state of the game; you can actually load saves made from other mods/vanilla into NT (and vise-versa) and they'll mostly work fine; maybe a visual glitch on EXP gauges that will correct itself on the next level up. Nothing so drastic that it would impact a New Game. Keep your save files, or at the very least just move them elsewhere and don't delete them. Remember also that Steam keeps its save files in a separate place to the regular 1998 game; it's in:

D:\UserName\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_#####.

New Game itself initialises from the kernel.bin (that's where Cloud's starting state + starting inventory are), so it sounds like that's where the point of failure is. Perhaps the installer wasn't able to patch the kernel properly due to a file security issue or similar. Usually that would mean it wouldn't be able to patch it at all, but can't rule it out considering that it sounds like the kernel has been corrupted in some way.

The installer says Data folder but it's out of date, the intended folder is the FF7 folder as it now targets both the ff7.exe and ff7_en.exe for changes as well. That's another possibility, perhaps the .exe patch is stopping the game from doing read/writes on the kernel correctly (a user had an issue where they couldn't save the game for instance due to this). My advice is to right-click into the installer's properties, check that it is unblocked, and then run as admin or to have the FF7 game installed in a non-systems folder outside of Program Folders (Steam allows for games to be installed in multiple locations). Then after install, do the same with both .exe files; right-click into their properties and make sure they're unblocked (don't need to run these as admin, it tends to make the game work strangely).

Although if you have 7h installed, then remember that NT has an IRO as well. That's available from front page of this thread. Assuming the 7h install is correct, I'd recommend using that instead as the installer is more for non-7H installations as it hard overwrites files.

nyny1010

• View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: 2020-02-17 18:51:23 »
This might've been asked before but where is HP absorb located? (Playing Vanilla version but couldn't find it in the usual North Cave spot.