Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1842014 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #2475 on: 2013-04-29 19:07:43 »
I'm glad you have experience with it. It makes explaining the obvious feel less bad on my part :)

You can always manually install them as well. Just extract the 5 files I mentioned into /mods/Bootleg/field.

Be aware that when you extract FacePalmer.zip, it has a single folder called field. Inside that folder are hundreds of other .rar files, so it's best to extract the field folder somewhere temporary first, then extract all its .rar files into /mods/Bootleg/field. Lastly, extract all the Fixes into mods/Bootleg/field.

Ok cool, I'll try that after rerunning bootleg with facepalmer textures. Yeah my first bootleg experience includes me accidentally extracting one file to the desktop, had 2000 .rar files in it, oops. Causes windows explorer to crash btw. I'll try your idea and post my results.   

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: 2013-04-30 00:09:02 »
I tried all three solutions and they seem to produce similar enough results, so just using the Facepalmer texture through bootleg did the trick. It's not perfect as Covarr mentioned, but it doesn't have that pixelated look anymore. It's still a little washy looking but before I could barley read the sign on the basketball game at the Golden Saucer, let alone any other sign. Is there a thread for the Team Avalanche new background project? I found this one http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8877.0;nowap but it seems abandoned.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2477 on: 2013-04-30 00:50:04 »
I am only taking a wild guess here, but the washy look may be due to your 36in TV. Try increasing the Internal Resolution inside Bootloader Configure and let me know if that makes a difference.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: 2013-04-30 00:58:34 »
I am only taking a wild guess here, but the washy look may be due to your 36in TV. Try increasing the Internal Resolution inside Bootloader Configure and let me know if that makes a difference.

I have tried that without any change, but that was when I wasn't using any facepalmer textures. I'll try that again with the new texture files. Is there a suggested internal resolution for HD tvs? Otherwise I'll just go up in steps till I've doubled the default.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: 2013-04-30 01:03:16 »
I played with 3840x2160 internal on a 23" computer monitor. I am rather unfamiliar with anything beyond that, so perhaps double it and work your way down? It does affect performance a little bit.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: 2013-04-30 03:41:06 »
I tried doubling it, till it finally said the internal resolution was too high, and tried lowering it all the way down to the lowest default. It never seemed to show any change. The picture included is with the Facepalmer texture files and is the best I've gotten it to. "Couch pc gamers" seem to be a minority here, not something that's really come up yet huh? If it's the best for now it's not the end of the world, definitely still worth playing. I'll play around with it and see if I can come up with something that'll help those playing on tvs.   

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: 2013-05-01 23:20:40 »
Now I have a weird issue. When I start the game everything seems normal, but there's never any music. All the sound effects seem to be working but the music never does. When I start the tast manager I see an error posted behind the game that says "Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000." I noticed sometimes the music wouldn't start right away so I'd go to the world map or enter a town and it would pick right up, but now it never does. I checked ff7music.exe. It looks like it's configured correctly, and the sound test works in FF7config.exe. It's weird because I don't think I ever changed anything. Worked yesterday and now nothing. I tried rerunning bootleg and no change. Any ideas?

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: 2013-05-04 22:30:55 »
I'm having a problem running Bootleg. As usual Windows 7 messes up something that worked fine on XP. It keeps yelling at me about administrator privileges, but I've turned it on. Both BFE.exe and Bootleg.exe have all the administrator privileges in the world and it keeps refusing to work. I have my install directory on a whole other HD than my system, I have the clean install 7zip that Bootleg made on another HD than the game. All the mods are in the same folder with bootleg.exe. I'm not accessing the folder at the same time, I've made sure it's not read-only. I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of that seems off is that when bootleg detects my system, it says it's 32-bit, when I'm running 64-bit. Please help...

EDIT: The only way I got it to work was on an already modded game I'd backed up, I couldn't use my clean install of FF7 zip that bootleg had created in nov of last year I think, double checked that there was not a single instance running where that partition was even open in explorer and made sure it was not read-only, and turned off my virus scanner. I do not know why it refused to work, but I'll take what I can get.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-04 23:24:43 by Guardian4 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: 2013-05-04 23:18:54 »
EDIT: I'm not sure what did it, moving the mods folder to another partition entirely, or that I told it not to use the backup that I made... Probably moving from between the partitions.

So are you saying you moved everything to the same partition and it's working now?

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: 2013-05-04 23:28:02 »
No, one of the steps that I did was remove it from the partition. It wasn't even in the same directory, but apparently on the same partition made it finicky enough that it refused to. It also didn't seem to like the zip that I had done with bootleg 0039 of last year. Without it on an already modded game and it'll run.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: 2013-05-04 23:29:04 »
Now I have a weird issue. When I start the game everything seems normal, but there's never any music. All the sound effects seem to be working but the music never does. When I start the tast manager I see an error posted behind the game that says "Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000." I noticed sometimes the music wouldn't start right away so I'd go to the world map or enter a town and it would pick right up, but now it never does. I checked ff7music.exe. It looks like it's configured correctly, and the sound test works in FF7config.exe. It's weird because I don't think I ever changed anything. Worked yesterday and now nothing. I tried rerunning bootleg and no change. Any ideas?

Which music option are you using?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: 2013-05-04 23:31:36 »
No, one of the steps that I did was remove it from the partition. It wasn't even in the same directory, but apparently on the same partition made it finicky enough that it refused to. It also didn't seem to like the zip that I had done with bootleg 0039 of last year. Without it on an already modded game and it'll run.

I always had issues with the zip installs I made in 0039, so I stopped using that tool. Is it working now?

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: 2013-05-04 23:33:14 »
I'm not entirely sure. It seems to have hanged on Copying LGP files/Preparing BATTLE.LGP/Copying Dummy Textures. I've been watching my CPU usage, but nothing. Does it normally take ten minutes to do that?

I hate to say it, but I wish I could go back to 0039, because that worked. If I don't do ANYTHING with textures, I can get past the hang on the battle.lgp...only for it to do the same thing on char.lgp. I see more activity there...but not by much. It will eventually just sit there and never finish. I love most of the new options, but every time I do something, I find something else that hangs. For example, I wanted to see the new animations, but it stopped on that too.

EDIT: I think I've solved the issue and why it won't work with a fresh install. I went back to my modded game and copied the bootleg.log, bootleg_mods.readme, and the bootloader.exe into the directory and it stopped throwing up an error. I'm assuming it needs bootloader.exe, though the thing refuses to run as it is. Always gives a critical exception error 3 or something. And I still can't get Bootleg to complete successfully even once. I went on the Minimal preset and it will hang at Slayersnext Aeris Weapons.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-05 00:46:43 by Guardian4 »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: 2013-05-05 02:29:43 »
Hey guardian4

runnning 0040 on win 7 64 bit with no trouble.

turn off UAC completely.

completely wipe your install directory of ff7 files,

run ccleaner and get rid of any registry problems

BFE is what you run to do the install but it does need a valid directory that contains bootleg.exe. Bootleg.exe is the way to open ff7 after bootleg install is complete. Make sure the directories under the installation tab in BFE are correct. Destination, source, bootleg.exe needs to be correct version etc. uncheck install custom models as well.

definitely try doing this without the FF7 install image feature. I've had some trouble with it even on 0040

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: 2013-05-05 02:53:58 »
UAC is turned off, has been since I installed Win7. Did as you suggested and did a fresh install of FF7, ran CCbefore to get rid of extra problems put in the patch, and the opengl driver. BFE has pathing correct. Now I'm in a Catch-22 situation. On a fresh install with no previous BFE at all (and running it with administrator privileges), it tells me that Access is Denied on the folder and tells me about said privileges that are already there. Then it goes on to say that there was a problem in installation and game files may be damaged, I need to do a full install on a non-system folder (it's on a whole other physical hd than windows) and that all mods are in th same folder as bootleg (they are). Close all FF7 files and folders before starting it, I did.

Now if I go back to my already modded install that has some bootleg files in it, bootleg.exe will run, but it will find any and all excuses to hang. I sat there for half an hour waiting for it to get past any number of times and it just sits there. I can't seem to get anything working. Also not working with the install image feature, left that blank. In fact, there are four files it specifically needs for it to work at all at start: bootleg.log/bootleg_mods.htm/bootleg_readme.txt/Bootloader.exe. If even one of them is missing, I get the above error about access is denied, etc.

Also, frustratingly, I tried .39 despite really wanting to use .40 and it will get all the way to preparing char.lgp and hang there to. On a fresh install. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-05 03:21:54 by Guardian4 »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: 2013-05-05 05:11:00 »
K well your reply threw up a flag. You do not need to apply any patches or the opengl driver before running bootleg. Bootleg should be run on a completely untouched install from the ff7 disc image. Bootleg includes the driver and the patch. Dunno if that's the end of your troubles or not, though.

I reinstall all the time just to change things around. I use control panel to uninstall FF7 music, then uninstall ff7, delete the entire c:\games\FF7 (try c:\games\FF7 also to make sure that's not part of the problem) folder which has for me about 8gb worth of stuff, and then i reinstall ff7 from the disc and run bootleg... it's really simple (in my case).

If UAC is fully turned off, you shouldn't need to be running anything with administrator privileges, or getting any permissions issues.

You sound like a fairly experienced user. I just want to make sure all the files and mods you are set up to use in your BFE aren't just named properly but are up to date files as well.

Is it possible you are having issues with your .ISO mount also?

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: 2013-05-05 05:25:56 »
Nope, mounted isos from 1997 are fine. I can try to do it without the patch in there, but bootleg said it was putting in the opengl driver, but it never showed up in the control panel, so I had to put it in manually myself. I'll try it again, though, with a fresh install without those two, though.

EDIT: Nope, Bootleg won't run. Not without those other files. It just says access is denied.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-05 05:35:25 by Guardian4 »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: 2013-05-05 06:48:53 »
you right-clicked on BFE.exe and select from the context menu run as admin?

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: 2013-05-05 15:52:14 »
Yes. I know I shouldn't do it (and I shouldn't have to, considering I have full admin rights on this machine), I went under the System Administrator in Windows 7, just to check, and it STILL gave me the error that access was denied.

Template: I tried your suggestion, to install on c:\games\ff7 and it keeps reading from the old directory. Something in the registry is still hanging on and surprisingly, the game just stops installing at 64% and acts like it's done. I'm hunting through my registry now to remove anything manually.

Okay, I'm an idiot. I forgot to change the 'install directory' on BFE. Trying it now elsewhere. Nope. As of right now, I can only assume it's a fault of the install, as no registry entries are ever written. I click 'Maximum Install', it goes to 64% on the bar, and stops. Yet, it runs with the opengl driver, though I get an error that it can't read the config file. Found the registry key, finally...
« Last Edit: 2013-05-05 17:21:06 by Guardian4 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: 2013-05-05 17:18:37 »
Yes. I know I shouldn't do it (and I shouldn't have to, considering I have full admin rights on this machine), I went under the System Administrator in Windows 7, just to check, and it STILL gave me the error that access was denied.

Template: I tried your suggestion, to install on c:\games\ff7 and it keeps reading from the old directory. Something in the registry is still hanging on and surprisingly, the game just stops installing at 64% and acts like it's done. I'm hunting through my registry now to remove anything manually.

Okay, I'm an idiot. I forgot to change the 'install directory' on BFE. Trying it now elsewhere. Nope. As of right now, I can only assume it's a fault of the install, as no registry entries are ever written. I click 'Maximum Install', it goes to 64% on the bar, and stops. Yet, it runs with the opengl driver, though I get an error that it can't read the config file.

Are you talking about "Maximum Install" with the game installation? Try rebooting Windows into Safe-Mode, then install the game.

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: 2013-05-05 17:42:48 »
Hmmm, I'll try that. Only thing else I can think of to do, at this point. I can get the game to run, but bootloader still refuses to work and I have no idea why the opengl driver says that it can't find the config file, yet is reading from it...

Nope, installed in safe mode from the original 1998 install disc, still stopped and said install was done at 64%, and Bootleg yells about access is denied.

I can get Bootleg to run, though it still hangs if the readme is in the main directory, which just...stuns me rigid. I don't get it. Why it would need the readme.txt from Bootleg in the main directory of FF7 just confuses me no end.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-05 18:13:22 by Guardian4 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: 2013-05-05 18:16:00 »
I found a fix to my Access Denied error!  Depending on your OS/Computer the fix may be slightly different, here is what worked for me:

-Right click on Computer (or My Computer) and go to Properties.
-For me (windows 7) I scrolled down to the section titled, 'Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings' and click Change settings
-Go to the advanced tab, and click on Environment Variables...
-In the System variables field, find the variable named 'Path'.  Select it and click edit.  -This should be a long string of directories from C:\ each separated by a semicolon.  Make sure that C:\Windows\system32 is present.
-If not add ;C:\Windows\system32 to the string, and BAM!  No more access denied!  8-)

Have you tried this yet?

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: 2013-05-05 18:34:21 »
I hadn't, no, but just did and still says no. I mean, I don't mind that it needs the readme.txt to be present to run, but it concerns me that bootleg will tell me that it can't find the datadrive and revert to the D:\ partition that bootleg is on, rather than the dvd drive. After it runs, I have to change in regedit to focus on my dvd drive again or the game won't boot. It goes right past that, though, and then gets stopped on the lgp files.

It wants me to configure the data drive bootloader.exe, but that program just won't run. It'll give me a fatal exception and I can continue, but it won't save anything, so how can I fix that?
« Last Edit: 2013-05-05 18:52:05 by Guardian4 »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: 2013-05-05 18:54:50 »
...installed in safe mode from the original 1998 install disc, still stopped and said install was done at 64%...
You need a 100% installed FF7 before running Bootleg (or have I misunderstood?)

Guardian4

• View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: 2013-05-05 19:05:32 »
I realize that, but the installer will stop at that point. There is nothing I can do about it. It seems to think it's fully installed and it runs. I've just loaded up the game, a save, it runs. It no longer yells at me about the config file, etc. I tried allowing it to put in its 'required' directx thing, thinking that was the rest of the percentage, but I ended up with a bluescreen and had to repair my entire system. The game says it's done at 64%.