Author Topic: PS4 Controller now working. [FIXED]  (Read 19667 times)

KEVANH46

• View Profile
PS4 Controller now working. [FIXED]
« on: 2019-01-24 08:44:22 »
Hey all,

I really like the package, however, for some crazy reason I had a lot of issues to get it to work. First, it all worked perfectly after and after the new year I was eager to continue my adventures in this gem of a game but suddenly I bumped upon some issues. Ranging from errors who were referred to workshop settings, not set up correctly, or, I supposedly had updated the launcher to 1.55 which was not the case. The oddities kept piling up, one time I got the error the other time the game worked without any errors popping up, then the PS4 Controller stopped to work and so on.

Now finally everything works game wise on launch no errors pop up anymore so far but I had to go through 6 to 7 installations including removing my steam and installing that one again to make sure everything was gone from the previous installation. The only issue that still persists to exist on this current day is that my P4 controller just doesn't want to work with the modded version of the game anymore and I really prefer my PS4 controller. I still have an old have broken XBOX controller but that one is so old that it doesn't feel right in my hand anymore, I tried to use DS4Windows and went through various tips and tricks I could find on the internet including only using Dinput but until now I have been unlucky to fix this.

Is there anyone please who can help me to fix this for ones and for all since this is keeping me busy for the past month.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

I was able to get this fixed as described below!

Hey all,

I have been able to get my PS4 Controller to work, I found that when you are using more than one type of controller such as an Xbox variation or a PS4 controller you need to go into your control panel -> then click view devices and printers -> then right click on one of the controllers, then choose the game controller settings. In the advanced menu select the preferred device to the wireless PS4 controller in the drop-down menu and hit ok. :mrgreen:

I am not sure if you need to do this every time you plug in a different controller but at least this has fixed the problem for me.

So for those that encounter a similar problem, I hope this may as well be a fix for you. ... :wink:

Enjoy, and happy gaming!
« Last Edit: 2019-02-03 14:37:01 by KEVINMGXP »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 Controller now working.
« Reply #1 on: 2019-01-24 22:55:49 »
I'd try two things...  first, start with a totally clean install using v1.54 and declining the 1.55 update.  Second, instead of using your PS4 or XBox controller with an extra layer of driver abstraction, pick up a physically similar, but Windows-native game pad (e.g. Logitech F310).

KEVANH46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-01-25 09:08:54 »
first, start with a totally clean install using v1.54 and declining the 1.55 update.

I already did a clean install, declined the 1.55 update everything works perfectly without errors as previously mentioned in the first post.

Second, instead of using your PS4 or XBox controller with an extra layer of driver abstraction, pick up a physically similar, but Windows-native gamepad (e.g. Logitech F310).

I am currently not in a financial state to acquire myself a Logitech F310, and honestly, I like to stay away from Logitech as far as possible as those things do break way to easy in my hands. This is why I switched over, to Razers peripherals to begin with, and if I were to replace my current razer controller after its almost 6 years existence I think I would go back to a similar one, razer btw does not need extra drivers for controllers as they are basically "plug and play" hardware supported by windows it does not need synapse to function. The controller that I have is still in a working state but it has several things broken within the case which moves around while using and the grips do feel a bit worn down and that's about the only reason why I wanted to use my newer PlayStation 4 controller.

I can still use the XBOX controller with FF7 but I had a little hope that there would be a possible way to bypass the issues with the PS4 Controller and using that one until I have the funds to buy myself a new Razer controller.

Sadly it seems that I was wrong to find myself a workaround for it here.

Thanks anyway.

Edit: Gramma
« Last Edit: 2019-01-25 09:23:37 by KEVINMGXP »

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-01-25 12:36:23 »
I already did a clean install, declined the 1.55 update everything works perfectly without errors as previously mentioned in the first post.
Ok... just that after going through 6-7 cycles, the odds of some kind of cruft being left behind keeps increasing :(

I am currently not in a financial state to acquire myself a Logitech F310, and honestly, I like to stay away from Logitech as far as possible as those things do break way to easy in my hands.
Fair enough, it's the concept that's important... The idea is to remove DS4Windows as a possible source of your difficulties by using a Windows-native controller.  Whether that's Logitech (I used the F310 only because it's an example of a near-copy of the original PS1 controller), Razer, or whoever doesn't really matter.  It could be that a recent Windows update silently broke a piece of DS4, and simply reinstalling that might solve things.

Sadly it seems that I was wrong to find myself a workaround for it here.
Don't give up so easily... tell us more about what you've tried (besides just "various tips and tricks"), and what's happening (or not).  Does the controller work for everything except FF7?  Does Cloud move up when you press left on the joystick?  Are the buttons remapped into odd locations each run?  It sounds like you might have a setup that's hard for others to reproduce, but I've been playing games since the days of the Radio Shack TRS-80, and the folks who actually hack (in the true sense of the word!) the game to make these mods have a wealth of knowledge concerning how these things work "under the hood."

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-01-25 13:06:58 »
You can add the game to Steam and use it's powerful key mapper. Before I used this, I have used xinput plus, which emulates xinput output for directinput based games. The good thing is that it is an injector, which means you don't have to run any extra software. Only problem is the slightly tricky way to set it up for the game but it's something you should try.

KEVANH46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-01-25 16:55:54 »
Ok... just that after going through 6-7 cycles, the odds of some kind of cruft being left behind keeps increasing :(

I really made sure everything that would be able to corrupt the install was gone from the game, AppData and steam to deleting the mod launcher redownloading it fresh alongside the patcher I made sure that everything was gone.

Fair enough, it's the concept that's important... The idea is to remove DS4Windows as a possible source of your difficulties by using a Windows-native controller.  Whether that's Logitech (I used the F310 only because it's an example of a near-copy of the original PS1 controller), Razer, or whoever doesn't really matter.

Normally I do not use DS4windows as I do not need it, the odd thing is that the game did work and the controller did work before all this was happening which leads me to the assumption that the next thing you say may have something to do with it. 

It could be that a recent Windows update silently broke a piece of DS4, and simply reinstalling that might solve things.

I downloaded the latest version and removed the one I had completely, but, this didn't solve anything either so far.

Don't give up so easily... tell us more about what you've tried (besides just "various tips and tricks"), and what's happening (or not).  Does the controller work for everything except FF7?  Does Cloud move up when you press left on the joystick?  Are the buttons remapped into odd locations each run?  It sounds like you might have a setup that's hard for others to reproduce, but I've been playing games since the days of the Radio Shack TRS-80, and the folks who actually hack (in the true sense of the word!) the game to make these mods have a wealth of knowledge concerning how these things work "under the hood."

I really do not want to give up, honestly, I wonder if it is all worth it to even figure it out. I still have my older XBOX controller which does work and therefore I have an alternative even when the controller does not feel entirely good anymore due to old age.

First time installing Final Fantasy VII the game worked perfectly with the controller out of the box, I was looking for some graphical mods since I also use such mod on my Final Fantasy VIII so I was wondering if they would exist for Final Fantasy VII too. I ended up bumping upon the 7TH Heaven mod launcher and followed every single instruction to the letter. Everything worked perfectly, I've been streaming the game on my twitch channel and youtube channel up until Christmas Eve and after the new year I wanted to boot it up again but ended up with those issues mentioned in post one.

I then went through the entire troubleshoot page for 7TH HEAVEN up till the point that I  ended up reinstalling everything, but somewhere along the line I kept having issues with errors related to settings not set up properly and according to the troubleshoot page I also may have updated the mod launcher to 1.55 which was not the case at any time of any installation. The first thing I always do is read the section with possible issues and the first thing I noticed was to avoid updating the launcher to the latest version, to begin with so I avoided doing as such at all times. However, something kept going wrong so I went through the AppData ended up in my regedit and removing all the HKEYS and anything related to Final Fantasy VII.

To some extent I know how to deal with troubleshooting so I made sure everything related to FF7 was eliminated, I restarted my rig with a clean boot. I continued reinstalling everything step by step as instructed on the 7TH HEAVEN Guide. I finally had the modded version working without any errors or issues on launch. It all worked out of the box with the XBOX controller as mentioned but when I tried or try to use the PS4 Controller instead of the XBOX Controller nothing seems to happen.

I also tried to launch through steam but it still does not seem to work even with the PS4 Controller support enabled so I really think I used every option to my personal experience to solve this. I am missing something or it just does not want to work at all. ... What I do know is that prior to these issues my PS4 controller worked perfectly with the modded version when launched through steam now it does not work anymore.

For that reason alone I also reinstalled steam during this process so I am sure this is not the issue either.

I do not know what or how but every game I own with controller support does seem to work with my PS4 Controller except final fantasy 7, maybe something broke with the latest windows 10 update who knows I personally don't see where the problem lies.

Best of regards.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-27 11:50:33 by KEVINMGXP »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-01-25 19:40:55 »
Easy solution: Use DS4Windows, and reassign all the buttons to keyboard keys. This will make it usable even in games that don't recognize your controller for one reason or another.

KEVANH46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-01-27 11:45:47 »
Easy solution: Use DS4Windows, and reassign all the buttons to keyboard keys. This will make it usable even in games that don't recognize your controller for one reason or another.

??? Already tried this as mentioned, for some reason, :| DS4Windows is not willing to work with the modded version of the game.  So apparently it ain't that easy I am afraid  :o
« Last Edit: 2019-01-27 11:47:51 by KEVINMGXP »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-01-27 17:47:16 »
You mentioned you'd used DS4Windows, but not how you'd configured it, so I wasn't sure.

KEVANH46

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-02-03 14:04:00 »
Hey all,

I have been able to get my PS4 Controller to work, I found that when you are using more than one type of controller such as an Xbox variation or a PS4 controller you need to go into your control panel -> then click view devices and printers -> then right click on one of the controllers, then choose the game controller settings. In the advanced menu select the preferred device to the wireless PS4 controller in the drop-down menu and hit ok. :mrgreen:

I am not sure if you need to do this every time you plug in a different controller but at least this has fixed the problem for me.

So for those that encounter a similar problem, I hope this may as well be a fix for you. ... :wink:

Enjoy, and happy gaming!

« Last Edit: 2019-02-03 14:33:49 by KEVINMGXP »

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 Controller now working. [FIXED]
« Reply #10 on: 2019-02-05 00:07:50 »
What'd I say about not giving up ;)  Happy gaming, and we'll be sure to remember this for other multi-controller types who come along.

BlueWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-02-28 02:44:29 »
Hi. So i seem to be having the same dang issue and cannot figure out how to get it working. Been at it for an hour now... So some of the things i've done. I've manually mapped the controller to the keyboard keys in DSwindows and I went to the Control Panel and set the controller as the default as said in the edited post. For whatever reason when I launch my modded version of FF7 through 7th Heaven the controller just does not work nothing happens but elsewhere like on the desktop I can use the touchpad to move my cursor and click on things there but in the game it is not working any help on this would be appreciated.

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-02-28 06:33:40 »
My solution is:
Use steam, add an external game to the library and let the controller support inject their driver to the game. Works without a problem.

BlueWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-02-28 13:22:31 »
Thank you for the tip. I will give that a try.

Koby

• Beyond the Grave
    • View Profile
    • Kametsu
« Reply #14 on: 2019-09-11 16:13:15 »
Thanks! This solution worked for me as well.

Cloudstrife809

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2020-03-26 23:35:13 »
If anyone else is having trouble after exhausting the other methods listed here go into steam library->
steam apps->common->final fantasy vii-> then drag/drop the ff7input.cfg into the 7th Heaven controls folder under 7th Heaven->resources->controls. This is what I had to do to get my controller working.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #16 on: 2020-03-27 06:07:15 »
If anyone else is having trouble after exhausting the other methods listed here go into steam library->
steam apps->common->final fantasy vii-> then drag/drop the ff7input.cfg into the 7th Heaven controls folder under 7th Heaven->resources->controls. This is what I had to do to get my controller working.

The OP is referring to 7H 1.x while you are talking about 7H 2.0 and the way they work for controls are completely different. What you're talking about is already extensively documented in multiple other (current) threads, in the video tutorial, and in the built-in Help in the features list as well as the FAQ/Troubleshooting. What you're doing manually and unnecessarily is the same as Settings>Game Launcher>Controls>Save (floppy disk icon). It wouldn't hurt to have taken a moment to look around before reviving a year old no-longer-relevant thread.