Author Topic: I will loan you my 6970 for free.(New members need not apply)  (Read 10202 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Until BD comes out, I cant make use of all these 6970's I bought. If you are going to use it to make a decent mod contribution to the comunity, I would be more than happy to loan the card till BD comes out.

I can only do this for the members I feel are credible enough not to steal my 6970, so sorry if I dont know you or your too new.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Do you pay for shipping?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
yeah I will, but you pay to ship it back to me :)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
My PC is in massive need of an upgrade. I would need a 6970 to keep. :( What do you think of it? I've heard mixed things about it. It's probably safer to say I've heard positive and negative things based on which manufacturer is making it, but I still appreciate your opinion.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
I havent had them long, but performance wise its a massive step up from all my previous cards.

However at the moment Im experiencing slighjt freezes accompanied by an audio buzz when in games or videos, but its probably driver related.

Also am having a weird issue where my desktop artifacts like craZy, or not neccasarily artifacts, but all my windows try to jump in and out and half triangles of the windows will go missing/appear everywhere.

Once again most likely drivers.

As far as performance goes, these things are insane. If I can just get these problems nailed down everything will be great :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
A quick google search for reviews of this product has page after page of people complaining that it underperforms for the price range. You can do better.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
What card would you suggest for the range of 350+$ then?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Tom's Hardware always knows. It varies by exact price range, but for around $340 you can get dual 6850s or GTX 460s, which will both generally outperform a single 6970.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Except you cannot put 6 of them in a computer, so outperforming triple crossfireX is unlikely.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Hey if it would work, and they had some crazy new AA/Anisotropy from like 20 years in the future that required that much power, Id get six of anything.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Except you cannot put 6 of them in a computer, so outperforming triple crossfireX is unlikely.

But what if you make your own motherboard with six PCIe slots?

If that question sounds silly, it's because the topic of conversation is already in the realm of "silly". Unless you're using 20 monitors, are you really getting any benefit from that third 6970? Are you even getting a benefit from the second one?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It does make a difference for triple eyefinity 30" monitors. But for the most part no it doesnt. The cards dont have enough memory to push piles of pixels.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Hmm reminds me of a guy who had a go at me because my game wouldnt work on 2 monitors.  I tried to explain that human's generally use both eyes on 1 target.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Oh a 570, Thats what i'm getting beginning of next month :P

Also Jeff. How well do you think this would display graphics? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXaz0-ySyo

EDIT: Forgot the link -.-
« Last Edit: 2011-07-05 20:55:28 by Hellbringer616 »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a 560Ti, it does the job for what I need it to.

BloodShot

• View Profile
Same, the 560 Ti is a very powerful card. Unfortunately, my computer with my Ti and my main installation of FF7 and all of my mini-mods is currently unavailable for me to use :(

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Whoops forgot my link :-P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Oh a 570, Thats what i'm getting beginning of next month :P

Also Jeff. How well do you think this would display graphics? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXaz0-ySyo

EDIT: Forgot the link -.-

Wow, that definitely would not be fully utilized for gaming, but its a folders dream!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Anyone want to meet me half-way on this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227515

I haven't worked out how to share it, but I'd get first dibs.....

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You really need a whole TB of space? For much cheaper you could raid up a couple Vertex 3 240GB and be close to the same performance of it.

edit: from the specs on the colossus the two vertex would totally kill it.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-08 17:32:38 by sl1982 »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
You really need a whole TB of space?

-Looks at 2TB drive- Maaaaayyybbbbeee... @.@ haha

I'll go 1/16 the way :P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Lol wait until pahse change ssd hits the market. It will be much better.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
IBM claims 100x faster. And much cheaper

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
At the rate things are going, With AMD fusion and these new ssds, I predict in 10 years computers will have moved on from what we have always known them,

One of those phase change ssd's would make ram completely obsolete if they gave it direct highspeed access to the SB

APU's will take over in home computing when the technology improves.

In the future I see a pc as 3 main components. A motherboard, an APU, and phasechange ssd working as ram as well.
Thats all you would need.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile

Did you read the reviews?

And SATA SSDs are far slower than PCIe ones. You can get read/write times of 1GB/s with some of them.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ocz-12tb-velodrive-pci-e-x8-h-w-or-s-w-raid-sandforce-1565-(x4)-3-year-warranty

Of course, they're a lot more expensive.

At the rate things are going, With AMD fusion and these new ssds, I predict in 10 years computers will have moved on from what we have always known them,

One of those phase change ssd's would make ram completely obsolete if they gave it direct highspeed access to the SB

These things always take longer than expected. We'll probably see RAM sticking around for a while yet. Hell, I remember HP saying a while ago that we'd soon have the processor and memory on a single chip. I doubt we'll see that before 2020.