Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008159 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3875 on: 2017-10-02 00:23:14 »
Spy__Dragon brings up a decent possibility for the enemy "Baba Veramu"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

Baba is very likely correct.  But I checked "Vera", and that's also Slavic for "Faith",

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_(given_name)

which would seem to confirm that's definitely correct.  The ending is probably just an ending for the sake of it. I'll let Luksy decide how it's meant to look as a word.  Seems to be "Veraum" ? 

« Last Edit: 2017-10-02 00:28:55 by DLPB »

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: 2017-10-02 02:34:49 »
If this is just smashing words together as is done for many of VII's other WTF enemy names, the "myu" is probably the first syllable in "mutant". "rau" could be from "round" as in its mouth. "ve" from who knows.

I guess Baba Yaga kinda checks out. They usually write that バーバ but other enemy names formed in a similar way have ignored the chōonpu (and "baba" is also a Japanese word meaning old woman in the same way anyway).

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: 2017-10-02 05:10:02 »
I'd be wary about trying to attach any meaning to this one, even Baba...if they were going for Baba Yaga it doesn't look anything like one. FF wiki can't make head or tail of it either, calling it one of the most obscure names in the series. Ultimania has no clues either, it just looks like syllable soup like so many others.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: 2017-10-02 05:12:01 »
It's still very strange that both Baba and Vera are Slavic, though.  And certain other things are based on mythology or names without looking alike.  It could be a coincidence... but it's a little too coincidental?

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: 2017-10-02 05:35:47 »
I'm just hesitant to attach meaning to something with no clear visual evidence. We changed "Foulander" because it looks like a Rangda, Jiggy had hints to Bowie, and so on. This looks like...I have no idea, but it doesn't look remotely like an old crone.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: 2017-10-02 06:09:29 »
It looks like a turnip with with legs or arms.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: 2017-10-02 06:30:08 »
Above Bahba Velamyu's monstrous circular mouth is a rather human looking nose. It looks like a face. On its back it has a singular eyeball.

Baba Yaga is described as having chicken legs, and the Bahba Velamyu's legs are vaguely chicken-y. I think it's a stretch but it's a strange possibility.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: 2017-10-02 13:01:07 »
Considering we have no way to tell, it's probably just best to go with the best guess.  In this case, the best guess is the same as the kana sound into English.  So Babaveraumu ?  Is there anything closer than that as a direct translation?  And what other combinations could it in fact be?

Also
http://www.oldrussia.net/baba.html

She is supposed to have crazy teeth too.

And

She is also known as Baba Yaga Boney Legs

. She is the Arch-Crone, the Goddess of Wisdom and Death, the Bone Mother, a wild and untameable nature spirit bringing wisdom and the death of ego (and, through death, rebirth).

This enemy's moves are also bone attacks.

Baba Yaga has also made several appearances in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game
« Last Edit: 2017-10-02 13:11:27 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: 2017-10-02 15:03:04 »
From another perspective, there are those three female palette swap enemies, any one of which would have been a better match for Baba Yaga than this...thing. I just don't buy it. Why go to the effort of obscuring both the name and the appearance to a degree where no-one can actually get the reference? It makes no sense.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: 2017-10-02 18:53:44 »
Well let's face it, Ziggy doesn't exactly look like Bowie... it's a ridiculous enemy on the face of it.  And what about the rest?  The Zorokartir - from A Zoroastrian priest called Kartir? There's really no relevance there other than the writer made an obscure reference to Kartir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartir

That enemy is certainly correct now.  I find Zorokartir more obscure than a reference to Baba Yaga, which has foundations in a well known myth.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-02 19:24:56 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: 2017-10-04 13:32:54 »
I'm getting to grips with making everything a simple ini settings choice.  Weapon will have 3 levels

0: Completely off.
1: Updated minigames
2: Further difficulty updates (like shorter timers for example)
3: Full Weapon mod.  Huge updates to formulae and everything else.  Not sure I will ever get this one completed.

So selecting any of those in the ini will lead to different play experience. Levels 0-2 won't create issues with the original game vars or values.  It's non intrusive.   Level 3 is the full mod, which is so far in a REALLY early state.

Doing it this way means I can use ONE set of script files rather than the stupid method I had until recently...  using numerous ones and creating redundancies.

So much for liberation
They'll have a celebration
Yeah I've been under too much stress

And as the Cloud begin to rumble
So the juggler makes his fumble
And the sun upon my wall is getting less
« Last Edit: 2017-10-04 13:39:18 by DLPB »

MrNutch

• View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: 2017-10-05 14:12:37 »
Thanks for this amazing compilation! However, having the French version of FF7, I'm looking for a way to install the 60 fps fix without the retranslation. Is there any way to install it on its own?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: 2017-10-05 21:56:15 »
As per first post: The Reunion is compatible only with the English 1998 version and English Steam version.  I'm sorry :)

In other news, Spy__Dragon notified me that Belcher Task (original game: Velcher Task) may, in fact, be Belcher Tusk.  That makes far more sense and the kana is valid.  Luksy also seems to approve.

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: 2017-10-06 09:10:18 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 12:04:28 by Cicciolo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: 2017-10-06 12:14:00 »
It's always possible to use the English exe with the English files (you don't need to swap all of them) and use touphScript to translate the executable.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: 2017-10-06 21:27:18 »
Spy__Dragon may have worked out Wizard Vorman.

The kana is a match for "Beaumains"

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AC%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B9
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth

It should be Wizard Beaumains 

Luksy agrees.  The change is made.

Wizard
“I am the the great wizard Beaumains.
  What dost thou wish to know?”
« Last Edit: 2017-10-07 14:23:34 by DLPB »

kenichi

• View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: 2017-10-07 19:55:22 »
dlpb you are a life saver when ı checked finished translate ı saw some not translated files and this files have many translation error that difficult to understand what meaning, this tool saved me. Thnks

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: 2017-10-07 21:28:59 »
The first of 99 soldiers has been hidden.  This will also be on going.

Karmakaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: 2017-10-08 02:42:39 »
Hey, new user of the mod here. The model changes look great, and I'm looking forward to a full playthrough for the new text, too! However, for a few changes I've already been able to check, I'm interested in their reasoning and would honestly like to see them reverted (sorry if they've been discussed already; 156 pages are a bit much to read). I respect the work you've put in and I understand what you've said about doing justice to the original creators, but to be direct, there's an old saying I think is equally important and that would be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There's a point where you have to consider if a change actually has a purpose and is helpful/desirable. Further, translation isn't just formulaic conversion of words; it's a breakdown and reconstruction of meaning. Some of your changes clearly follow this sense and I support those, while others are reasonable; others don't/aren't and so I'm not just opposed to them but also confused by the disparity. Some people might defend the whole original solely on nostalgia, but I'll defend parts based on reason.

• Changes like "Mystile" to "Mystere" and "Chocobuckle" to "Chocobokkuru" are an un-translation/localization; why? And there are tons of other items that got such a complete change (likewise in undoing translation/localization) that I now actually have no idea what they even are, especially since they're not listed anywhere I've seen.
  • I also had to use menu option "Form" to realize it was "Order"; what the option does isn't what "form" means, where "order" is clear and fits perfectly, so I don't understand why that's the word you used much less why it was changed at all.
  • I don't know if Enemy Skill "Enigma" is in fact a closer translation to whatever the original is, but I wouldn't have used it for a spell name over "Pandora's Box". Maybe it's a question of taste, but that goes both ways.
  • Changing "Underwater" Materia to "Aqualung", and original Enemy Skill "Aqualung" to "Aqua Breath" again seems like it comes from your personal taste (and in the latter's case, also ruins the single-word trio with Beta and Trine). I've actually come across the idea of swapping names around before and I don't believe it's something game devs would do without significant reason.
  • Saving seems to have some control delay before and/or after it that wasn't there before.
  • Why is the menu option "Quit" gone?! That's just a downgrade to functionality.

I think that includes most types of things. Regardless, again, thanks for making and sharing this mod! I'd love to discuss more and I hope you'll consider these things.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-08 02:47:29 by Karmakaze »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: 2017-10-08 02:45:41 »
There will be no reverting. All of the above, I have decided against for good reason - see The Reunion Database.  And if I changed these, someone else would come along and ask for another 100 to be changed.  There is no democracy here.

Saving seems to have some control delay before and/or after it that wasn't there before.

I haven't touched this.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-08 02:48:36 by DLPB »

Karmakaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: 2017-10-08 03:33:57 »
Save issue must be something else then.

The rest, that's unfortunate. I like many of the changes but do not agree that others make sense. I understand you're not really profiting from this, so I wouldn't ask you to change your whole work. But what about just splitting up more install options, with what you've got?
« Last Edit: 2017-10-08 03:41:00 by Karmakaze »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: 2017-10-08 15:20:37 »
That would be a load of work to accommodate just you.  You are free to use the tools here to change your own  installation of our mod.

Godlift

• View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: 2017-10-08 16:07:24 »
Don't be discouraged from trying to use the tools yourself to make the small changes you would like. It is a lot easier than you think and can start you on the path to becoming a better modder. It is very easy to change item names or ability moves using the wall market tool.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7928.0

I used this tool to change name of the enemy skill dragon force because I always forgot its function was to increase defense and mdef.

I like these changes because its fun to relearn things and I like taking a second figuring out the changes. No one forces me to use them I can either play without the changes or change the things I personally don't like for my play through.

The beauty of this community I have noticed compared to other modding communities is the tools are so extensive and easy to use while the community is so helpful that you really are able to do almost anything yourself if you try and put forth the time.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: 2017-10-08 17:05:38 »
Yeah, touphScript can change any text in the game, if you so wish :)  I'd steer clear of Wallmarket for now in terms of text, since it has a bug that will ruin text (and it can't alter field, menu, world map text).

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.msg252828#msg252828
« Last Edit: 2017-10-08 17:08:47 by DLPB »

Godlift

• View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: 2017-10-08 17:27:48 »
Oh damn really! il make sure to use toughscript from now on.

Would you happen to have a link showcasing the bug created with wallmarket or more detail? I think I may have experienced a graphical bug with the text during my play through when you are getting the huge materia in coral.