Author Topic: Need some help with Java  (Read 6761 times)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
Need some help with Java
« on: 2006-05-10 07:20:35 »
As I stated in the "Whats your level of experience??" thread, I'm on the path of learning Java.

Does anyone happen to have some Ebooks which could be helpful or some tutorial site?

I have a book now (Java for the Newbs, It's Dutch but it means something like that) but it doesnt seem to cover every aspect of Java.

Thanks for the help in advance.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: Need some help with Java
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-10 08:35:34 »
Try Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java".

dziugo

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-10 15:35:20 »
Deitel and Deitel, How to Program Java.

Thats the only book that ive had any experience with, it will teach you everthing that you need to become a decent enough programmer, and if that is not difficult enough for you try the advanced version. I found it good anyway, my lecturer was crap and I learned from that book. It also gives you good hints on how to make your code really efficient if you want to get that deep into programming.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-11 01:27:03 »
I've found this extremly useful... I use it on a daily basis:

Java API

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-11 02:19:34 »
(You'd probably like to use the 1.5.0 version of the Java API instead of the 1.4.2 version.  :-P)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-11 02:30:09 »
(You'd probably like to use the 1.5.0 version of the Java API instead of the 1.4.2 version.  :-P)

Oh nice, never noticed they updated :lol:

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-11 07:13:26 »
Thank you all very much for the replies!

Those links seem to be very usefull!

I have enough to keep me busy for a while now, don't hesitate to post more though!

Thanks!

FeuFeu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-11 07:18:09 »
Oh nice, never noticed they updated :lol:

It's been two years since Java 5.0 was released :-) Version 6.0 is on the way (already available in beta since February).

chaoscontrol : I'm a bit curious, but why Java in the first place ?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-11 09:12:46 »
Good question, I guess it's because I got a Java book from a friend and I started with it.
I didn't really consider any other languages to be honest, a friend of mine who programs in Java for work recommended it to me for it was easier and it was a language like any other should be, at least he said that.

I know Java is slow but I gotta start somewhere.

FeuFeu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-11 11:50:05 »
Ok, there's no obligation then.

The "Java is slow" statement is outdated in fact. The earlier versions (1.1, 1.2) were indeed awfully slow. But that's not the case anymore : the JVM has been greatly optimized since then (thanks to the Just-in-Time compiler).

I also do a lot of Java at work (among many languages), but I wouldn't advice someone to learn it as a first language. And I don't really agree with your friend :-P Indeed, Java is nice and easy but definitely not what a really good programming language should be. It's trying too hard to be foolproof and I don't believe it to be the goal of a programming language. It's alright to have automatic memory management and other things to help the developer. But the more I use it, the more I feel the language is holding me back.

I'd rather recommend learning Python. The clarty of its syntax makes it really easy to learn and the source code is understandable even when you're a complete newcomer. But it's also a powerful language which comes with an extensive standard library. I won't go into details, everything I could say is already much better explained on the official site

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-11 12:40:32 »
Thanks, I will definatly take a look at it!!

Btw, I'm having a very weird mallfunction on my computer.
Yesterday when I wanted to start Azurues my 2nd monitor got completely black and my computer stopped responding some seconds later which forced me to do a reset. I tracked down the problem to JVM. Everytime it loads it crashes my comp. Does anyone have a clue what this could be?!