Author Topic: Epic Glitch: What does Code 38 mean?  (Read 4707 times)

antd

• View Profile
Epic Glitch: What does Code 38 mean?
« on: 2012-01-14 05:24:16 »
I found a game breaking glitch earlier; changes initial stats and other stuff. It leads to code 38 in battles. I would like to know what code 38 is. The good thing about code 38 is it allows me to press L1+R1+Select to 'win'/escape any battle, including bosses.

I have a feeling it is to do with limit breaks, but uncertain if code 38 can give you any clue.

Does anyone have an idea what it means?

The code only appears when a glitched-limit-break-character has a battle. So I'm guessing it is due to that.

Also, does anyone have an idea why the glitch only seems to produce 'comet' or 'demi3' as cloud's limit break. It also changes stats.
Are those addresses near each other? What else are they near to? etc.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-14 06:18:10 by antd »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Epic Glitch: What does Code 38 mean?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-14 13:46:15 »
Error 38 is a little mysterious. I've seen a couple of other people report it, but as part of mods that change character AI. What's the 'game breaking glitch' you found? Can you tell us how to replicate it, and the full effects?

Did you edit your limits or initial data in some way?

I don't think this is caused by your limit breaks, rather that both your bugs with limits and in battles have another, separate root cause.

As for what the codes mean, I don't know. I did document some of these errors here, but haven't discovered much more since.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-14 13:50:40 by Bosola »

antd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-15 00:10:54 »
Error 38 is a little mysterious. I've seen a couple of other people report it, but as part of mods that change character AI. What's the 'game breaking glitch' you found? Can you tell us how to replicate it, and the full effects?

Did you edit your limits or initial data in some way?

I don't think this is caused by your limit breaks, rather that both your bugs with limits and in battles have another, separate root cause.

As for what the codes mean, I don't know. I did document some of these errors here, but haven't discovered much more since.

Hmm. I didn't edit anything. The glitch causes this. I will reveal the glitch once I've finished my TAS speed run that uses it!

Glitch effects:
Improved stats
Materia as Limit breaks (can't be used in battle)
Flea battles by using L1+R1+Select
Quick learning of level 1.2 and level 3 limit breaks after one battle
Random weirdness: Jessie getting stuck on the door that she opens

The glitch is simple to replicate, but sometimes crashes the emulator at a certain point. Once beyond this point it will not crash (at least so far).

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-15 16:20:38 »
It's not so much that the error 'makes materia limit breaks', as that it alters the attack IDs for the character's limits. Does this effect all characters? It sounds like data in the kernel is being corrupted somehow.

I'm not sure if this could be to do with the tools you're using for your TAS. If you're using an emulator, there might be oddities to the way it handles savestates. Be wary - they could invalidate your speedrun.

antd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-15 23:28:26 »
It's not so much that the error 'makes materia limit breaks', as that it alters the attack IDs for the character's limits. Does this effect all characters? It sounds like data in the kernel is being corrupted somehow.

I'm not sure if this could be to do with the tools you're using for your TAS. If you're using an emulator, there might be oddities to the way it handles savestates. Be wary - they could invalidate your speedrun.

No not all characters are affected. Just Cloud, Tifa and Red so far. I don't think the emulator is causing the glitch, as I get the same results using different emulators. I would guess the same glitch is possible on console.

It's really funny that the Square coding team forgot to test this possibility... the glitch is so easy to do that one wonders if they bothered to test anything...

It sounds like data in the kernel is being corrupted somehow.
Also, if Barret has 53 magic stat before the glitch, he will have 53 magic stat after selecting 'new game'.
I just need to find a way to 'fix' the limit breaks so I can actually fight battles...

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-16 09:04:14 »
Also, if Barret has 53 magic stat before the glitch, he will have 53 magic stat after selecting 'new game'.

So, you soft reset, start a new game and inherit earlier stats? Sounds like the KERNEL initial character data isn't being read.