Author Topic: I'm getting tierd of makefile maintainance  (Read 3476 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
I'm getting tierd of makefile maintainance
« on: 2006-05-18 03:51:27 »
In the book, "The pragmatic Programmer", there are several tips on how to manage code. One of the tips are "DRY"

It means "Don't Repeat Yourself"

Every time that the windows make sequence is altered, it breaks all the other makefiles. I find myself updating the linux mkefile every time. To this end. I'm going to research into autoconf. This shoud clear alot of the headaches.

However.

DevC++ is an issue. It's a Windows IDE. I'm probably going to create some scripts to parse the DevC++ files and auto-generate the m4 scripts for autoconf. This will add some dependencies to the application.

This incudes a need for autoconf and it's required subprograms (m4, imake, etc). Also support scripting will be done with ruby. (Many of you know ruby by it's popular web mod, "rails") <---- Ruby on Rails.

Just warning you, the make system is going to get "wierd" while I figure this thing out, at least on the non DevC++ side of things.

FF7ExpNeg1

• View Profile
Re: I'm getting tierd of makefile maintainance
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-18 04:07:03 »
I was starting to think along similar lines.  Autoconf is the way to go.  Let me know if you need any help.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-18 13:05:57 »
Config.cpp and config.h need to have thier names changed. config.h is needed by autoconf.

I reccomend changing the name to options.cpp and options.h and updating the other cpp files accordingly.

Autoconf is a lot harder than I thought. It requires learning a little m4.... wow

Dasaan

« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-16 00:10:48 »
DevC++ is an issue. It's a Windows IDE.

Ahh, that'd explain the dos line endings I'm seeing when I checkout from svn. I think you may need to look into setting some file type options for svn checkins as running all the files through dos2unix after a checkout is going to get old quick :)

I'm running Linux on my box BTW.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-16 00:13:05 by Dasaan »