Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079153 times)

Xelane

• View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #625 on: 2010-03-25 22:18:40 »
To be blunt, this mod scares me.

I once decided "why the **** not?" and tried out my save file at mt. Nibel.

I remember fighting a seemingly regular dragon...but this wasn't just ANY seemingly regular dragon; this was the super-mega-awesome regular dragon.

it's regular attack did damage that well exceeded the damage cap (that is, if i hadn't have used the patch to remove it).

I remember thinking: "omg i'm only lvl 25(ish)! I shouldn't be dealing with an enemy that OHKO's every party member!"

of course, I understood that this type of battle was more of a 'numbers game' where i could just constantly use at least one member to attack, and one to revive. But it still felt overwhealming to have an ordinary encounter be so difficult.

EDIT: In case it seemed like I was looking at your mod as bad, I wasn't.

It just seemed Hard enough to the point where i'd have to put up enough of an effort that it would make it less fun for meh.

Maybe once i have the courage to try again, i'll post back. And my first victory will be against non other than that very same dragon. I'll have a backstory and everything where it will be the same dragon that killed me all those many months ago....
« Last Edit: 2010-03-25 22:22:44 by Xelane »

darkrandom12

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: 2010-03-26 15:42:35 »
I'll try again now before work. Alas, I'm going to have a to grind a little bit before hand anyway. They're doing around 200 per hit ahaha. And, they cast beserk disabling my ability to cure. Aha, it's been so long since I've got a proper legit Game Over with this game! :D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: 2010-03-26 15:53:09 »
To be blunt, this mod scares me.

I once decided "why the **** not?" and tried out my save file at mt. Nibel.

I remember fighting a seemingly regular dragon...but this wasn't just ANY seemingly regular dragon; this was the super-mega-awesome regular dragon.

it's regular attack did damage that well exceeded the damage cap (that is, if i hadn't have used the patch to remove it).

I remember thinking: "omg i'm only lvl 25(ish)! I shouldn't be dealing with an enemy that OHKO's every party member!"

of course, I understood that this type of battle was more of a 'numbers game' where i could just constantly use at least one member to attack, and one to revive. But it still felt overwhealming to have an ordinary encounter be so difficult.

EDIT: In case it seemed like I was looking at your mod as bad, I wasn't.

It just seemed Hard enough to the point where i'd have to put up enough of an effort that it would make it less fun for meh.

Maybe once i have the courage to try again, i'll post back. And my first victory will be against non other than that very same dragon. I'll have a backstory and everything where it will be the same dragon that killed me all those many months ago....

The Nibel Dragon is a "special" random battle; most of the enemies are nowhere near that hard (although they're much harder than they were in the normal game). gjoerulv put in a few special random encounters throughout the mod to spice things up.

Also, it's not a good idea to use a save from the middle of a regular game when playing the mod; you might be at a lower level than you would have been if you had been playing with the mod from the beginning and you probably wouldn't have an optimal materia and item setup.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 2010-03-26 16:13:25 »
True. And I thought about that before I chose to go on.

I did play a little afterwards and it seemed like it wasn't every enemy that was ridiculous.

But I guess I wasn't interested in getting all RAGED up every time I had to do a long series of fights or events because an enemy lit my ass up.

But I think that I may actually try to play the hard mode again.

btw: **** that dragon.  >:(

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #629 on: 2010-03-29 02:22:54 »
I have a question to you lurkers, but 1st an explanation why I ask:
I was going to release an update, 'cause of the bugs (I found 1 more  :o), but, as usual, when I start to work on something I work really sloooooow lol  :P . And, also, I've begun to develop a bit more complicated patch. :-o  To keep it simple: My vision is not to ruin any other mod with this patch (except any mod that deals with scene.bin, as it will be overwritten). Taken my vision into consideration, you'll quickly see that my awesome mod not-so-awesomly delivers 100%. This have been somewhat bugging me, 'cause I like to deliver as intended (and I also like to code :)). Thus I've started making a new functionality in the patch that doesn't overwrite field files or ignore battle models with similar names (field files contain dialogue, encounters, scripts etch.). This may sound simple, but unfortunately it's somewhat complicated (let's leave it there, I don't want to go deep here.   8) ). In other words: It will take some time to develop since I spend less time on this sh*t these days. The main reason I continue, as of now, is to learn stuff 'bout coding, and 'cause I want to finish as intended. But it's still fun. ;D

So, the question is:
Do you want me to 1): finish the "complicated" patch before I release. OR  2): Make a new release with the fixed bugs. Then (much) later release the "complicated" one.
keep in mind that not much will actually be updated. The final bosses + the materia cave bosses will be a bit harder; that'z it. The "complicated" patch will work with any mod; not effect any language or anything.

Was Omega difficult btw (only the last form. The 1st 2 are kinda ment to be pushovers)?
I found all the "hard" fights in the game very easy after i found my build (cover, magic-counter+fullcure, many counter-attack) and got w-item. The battles are only longer. I made Game Over more often in the random encounters (before putting on protecting against paralysis and stop) than in this boss battles
Those "hard" bosses will be a bit harder (whatever "hard" means lol) I updated them AIs.
I've thought this mod has been pretty good, not crazy hard but pretty decent. However I'm stuck on Locke, Theo and Venus ahahaha. I don't have a damn clue, besides the one on my right is immune to bolt. And casts Bolt2.
Are there any specific strategies I should be performing, or a staple level I should be at? Average is level 13.
Amazing mod Gjoe, seriously. Well done.

I think i was lv 13 too when I did it. Can't remember exactly but I think I killed 2 of them off quickly with limit breaks, and then took my time stealing from the last one (good equipment).

One other method I found usefull was to start the battle by draining Locke (blue one) of MP with Barret's limit, then focusing on healing while keeping 'em confused. Venus (red one) should be defeated 1st as she (lol, yeah, it's a she) revives the other 2. 

btw: **** that dragon.  >:(

lol that dragon isn't there anymore. It's in Nibelheim, but not at the pipe area.

darkrandom12

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: 2010-03-29 02:41:52 »
Ah Joe, I thought you'd given up on this topic!
Yeah, after using Mindblow I wasted them pretty easily. Only other boss that gave me hassle was Motorball and that was just because for some reason his Arm Attack/Blow would do around 300-350 damage to whoever it hit, then he'd do it again to the same person. I had to play so that I always had a person with Cure with a full ATB in case he did something. Trouble is also, my character only just had above 600hp by the point (besides Barret with around 700, the man's a tank).

One minor problem, I'm trying to edit the spell names back to their numbers and stuff, I've tried using Wall Market, and the .exe plain won't open. Then when I tried using Teioh, it kept saying my kernel2.bin wasn't a kernel2.bin file. When I opened my original back up kernel2 it worked perfectly, which is a little bit useless, as I assume you've changed not only the spell names, but descriptions of armour and weapons aye?

Do you have a work around? Because the "aga" suffix's are really annoying me. They just don't sit right in this game haha.
ALSO! One more question, what's up with the H0512 you fight in the Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor? It took me ages to kill him, and Sephiroth NEVER lands a physical attack on any monster. Nor does Cloud.
Again, many thanks for the mod. And I really don't mind what patch you release first to be honest. This in itself is worth so much.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 2010-03-29 02:49:00 »
ALSO! One more question, what's up with the H0512 you fight in the Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor? It took me ages to kill him, and Sephiroth NEVER lands a physical attack on any monster. Nor does Cloud.
You used Jenova save editor, didn't you? That effs up your save file and makes it so that cloud and sephi don't have any weapon equipped in the flashback. You can fix it by using jenova to equip some weapon to sephi and young cloud.

darkrandom12

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 2010-03-29 02:52:31 »
Aha! Yeah I did, to gain an extra Lightening Materia. Cheers though I'll go fix that. I did think that "t vest" was a strange weapon

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #633 on: 2010-03-29 03:06:29 »
I was going to release an update, 'cause of the bugs (I found 1 more  :o), but, as usual, when I start to work on something I work really sloooooow lol  :P . And, also, I've begun to develop a bit more complicated patch. :-o  To keep it simple: My vision is not to ruin any other mod with this patch (except any mod that deals with scene.bin, as it will be overwritten).

There's the rub. You need to stop worrying about other patches. If you accommodate for other KERNELs, by definition you cannot distribute a consistent Hardcore mod. And as something like this needs must deal with KERNELs, with field item locations, boss battles, item prices, what have you. Any hybrid game would no longer have comparable difficulty, which would defeat the object of your project. Forget about other mods.

So, the question is:
Do you want me to 1): finish the "complicated" patch before I release. OR  2): Make a new release with the fixed bugs. Then (much) later release the "complicated" one.

Depends. As you've released this as 1.0, rather than a feedback version, the expectation is that you're going to provide a stable version of the mod. On the other hand, adding new functionality will be exciting for *everyone*.

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 2010-03-29 03:50:28 »
I would love to see just an update with bugs fixes and such.  The mod you have right now is really challenging and fun to play, so just tweaking it a bit at time passes would be awesome.

At the same time I am intrigued at what you may be coming up with in the more complicated patch.  :)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #635 on: 2010-03-29 04:17:22 »
I was going to release an update, 'cause of the bugs (I found 1 more  :o), but, as usual, when I start to work on something I work really sloooooow lol  :P . And, also, I've begun to develop a bit more complicated patch. :-o  To keep it simple: My vision is not to ruin any other mod with this patch (except any mod that deals with scene.bin, as it will be overwritten).

There's the rub. You need to stop worrying about other patches. If you accommodate for other KERNELs, by definition you cannot distribute a consistent Hardcore mod. And as something like this needs must deal with KERNELs, with field item locations, boss battles, item prices, what have you. Any hybrid game would no longer have comparable difficulty, which would defeat the object of your project. Forget about other mods.

You can chose to not patch the kernel (or any other file), but, with the current release, it will not update it accordingly. I've built in a method that updates the kernel, which was a mistake not to include in v1.0. Updating the scene look up table would be the only concern if you patch scene.bin and not kenrel.bin (or vica versa).

So, the question is:

Depends. As you've released this as 1.0, rather than a feedback version, the expectation is that you're going to provide a stable version of the mod. On the other hand, adding new functionality will be exciting for *everyone*.

Yeah, I know. v1.0 was supposed to be final (at least from my part). My bad. But bugs appeared due to my lack of proper testing, thus I kinda feel I have to fix it. I will release a  -hopefully- bugfree version soon enough. Just needed to know if people are willing to wait / care. If not, option 2 will happen

I would love to see just an update with bugs fixes and such.  The mod you have right now is really challenging and fun to play, so just tweaking it a bit at time passes would be awesome.

At the same time I am intrigued at what you may be coming up with in the more complicated patch.  :)

I expected most people wanted this. I'll give it a week before release if there's not a huge amount demanding option 1. But that comes with no bug-free guarantee.

Oh, and by complicated, I mean complicated for me to make. Not complicated to enjoy.  ;D

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: 2010-03-29 11:23:15 »
Personally I'm in no rush for the bugs to be fixed.
I would like to see other mods be compatible with yours, like another difficulty tweaking mod that could still include your extra bosses, such as Shalua Rui rebalance.

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 2010-03-30 00:24:25 »
Definitely a fix on at least the fatal bugs that are inherent to this mod alone (the Raaps and Ancient Forest ones)! That should be released ASAP.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-30 00:37:20 by LJH »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #638 on: 2010-04-01 22:31:46 »
Ok, listen up!

I want everyone who have used this patch to uninstall it. I'm going to demand payment from now on for each download. Anyone who installs this mod, without paying ME 1st, will get a lawsuit on their asses. In worst case be put in jail and/or executed.

Remember I OWN this product  :evil:; it's not FREE to use  :x.

The fee for each download will be around 30£  :-D: A small price to pay to get this awesome mod.

I'm going to release a small update soon!  :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: 2010-04-01 22:44:17 »
I assume you are making fun of someone / some company but i cant figure out what right now. Apple perhaps?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: 2010-04-01 22:47:08 »
Or because it's April 1st.

He'd just get a C&D + lawsuit from Squeenix anyway.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #641 on: 2010-04-01 23:48:22 »
Or because it's April 1st.

uhm... whut?
 :wink:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: 2010-04-02 00:32:11 »
Holy crap guys, Gjoerulv just sent me a subpoena. He's totally serious. I have to see him in court on the 7th!

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #643 on: 2010-04-02 01:18:25 »
Holy crap guys, Gjoerulv just sent me a subpoena. He's totally serious. I have to see him in court on the 7th!
Woah... Copyright. Sorry guys. Show's over (for me, I don't got any moneys)  :(

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #644 on: 2010-04-02 01:55:27 »

I'm gonna get your house!!

Woah... Copyright. Sorry guys. Show's over (for me, I don't got any moneys)  :(

Not anymore!  :evil:

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #645 on: 2010-04-02 02:56:09 »
Not anymore!  :evil:
Oh man..  :'(
You are evil.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #646 on: 2010-04-11 18:22:07 »
Ok, I uploaded a new one. Let me know of any bugs. I'm not sure if the gzip method I used will work in every scenario. At least it did all times I tested it.

storm20200

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 2010-05-18 02:07:35 »
And I return! Not that I expect anyone to remember  :'(

I stopped playing your mod last year when I got my arse handed to me by the third jenovo after 2-3 hits  :o but since you've released another patch I think I'm gonna give it another try, is this the final patch that you've been working on or is it still to be updated?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #648 on: 2010-05-19 07:36:59 »
And I return! Not that I expect anyone to remember  :'(

I stopped playing your mod last year when I got my arse handed to me by the third jenovo after 2-3 hits  :o but since you've released another patch I think I'm gonna give it another try, is this the final patch that you've been working on or is it still to be updated?

No, only if someone finds a bug. There may be updates on the patch engine though. Currently I'm not working on it.

Good luck with the mod!  :evil:

Ryu88Master

« Reply #649 on: 2010-05-27 13:21:26 »
 hi,i am interested in your program but i cant use mediafire in china, for some reason is there any other way you can upload, hotfile,megaupload,maybe? my e-mail is [email protected]