Author Topic: [FFVIII] GF acquisition checks, SeeD tests, and a few loose ends  (Read 2516 times)

Leythalknight

• View Profile
Hi. I'm getting pretty close to releasing a gameplay mod for FFVIII, but there are a few issues I'm having trouble solving. If anyone could help out, I'd really appreciate it.

1. My mod gives each party member a single GF while keeping all of the GF boss battles. At first I thought that removing the givegf() command in their AI scripts would suffice, but I've run into an issue with Diabolos and Cactuar. If I use the Magical Lamp and defeat Diabolos, the fight ends like normal but hitting any face button triggers the fight again, presumably because the player didn't acquire the GF. Jumbo Cactuar simply fails to disappear from the world map after being defeated. In Diabolos' case, the check seems to be tied to the Magical Lamp's item type itself, as this happens even when changing a non-Magical Lamp item into a trigger for a non-Diabolos battle.

2. I'd like to disable SeeD tests while keeping the salary. Is it possible to remove that option from the menu or to change the value of the variable used to track test progress such that the game thinks you've completed every test?

Less important issues that I'd nonetheless like to change:

3. I'd like to lower the effect of Med Data from 2x to 1.3x, or failing that, 1.5x. 

4. Change Defend's physical damage reduction to 50% instead of nullifying it altogether.

5. Make Devour and Card give experience points.

Sebanisu

• View Profile
Around seek location 1853831 in Mngrp there's special bytes around ribbon that hide it till unlocked. unless someone plays chocobo world to unlock it it'll never show. Maybe you could do something similar to the seed tests.

Leythalknight

• View Profile
Around seek location 1853831 in Mngrp there's special bytes around ribbon that hide it till unlocked. unless someone plays chocobo world to unlock it it'll never show. Maybe you could do something similar to the seed tests.

Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't made any progress yet, but I'll keep trying.

I also got the idea to search mngrp for a way to change which menu the TEST option leads to. I found a way to change this for things in the Information section, but so far I haven't found anything similar for the SeeD tests. I wonder if that's handled by the exe, as everything I've found related to those menus in mngrp seems to be for text only.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-13 19:50:42 by Leythalknight »