Author Topic: Let's play Final Fantasy VII- with Linux?  (Read 35757 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: Let's play Final Fantasy VII- with Linux?
« Reply #25 on: 2010-01-17 17:43:07 »
do either of you guys have FF7music working correctly w/ wine 1.1.36 (64bit) i seam to get errors when it need to change the songs... (first one works correctly, then it goes silent...

the following errors are what i get...

this is w/ a fresh install (after purge) of wine 1.1.36 aali's driver 0.73b , ff7 music 1.5 (mad input and fast-wave out, was working fine)...

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-01-17 18:32:27 »
i havent tried ff7music yet and i have only been using x86 (32bit) version so i will download the 64bit version in a moment and try it (might take a few hours since i already hit my DL limit since i have downloaded the 4GB DVD and the 700MB 32bit versions today already) , I will edit the post later to let you know how it went.

EDIT:-
Ok just installed "Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 Desktop" And ff7music seems to be working alright (tried it out in the reactor at the first music change i kept running back and forth from 1 screen to the other and the music kept changing but no crash)

installed all latest updates and activated Geforce drivers 185 for my card and TiMidi++ then installed VC++ 2005+2008 Runtime both 32bit and 64bit versions.
Then wine 1.1.36 and configured it with ALSA audio (not the best but i was only using it for testing)
Then FF7, Then offical Patch 1.02 then Aali's driver 0.7.3b and edited the CFG (making sure to rename the music plugin in CFG adding _wine in to make it work correctly) and ran FF7config.exe and set up TiMidi++ as the MIDI player and default for speakers then clicked OK.
Then imported Aali's driver into the registry using regedit
Then setup ff7music to the settings i wanted then ran FF7 from FF7music.

Did you check your CFG had the wine plugin for FF7music and not just the normal FF7music plugin ?
did you install both 32 and 64 bit versions of VC++ since the error seems to be VC++ related ?
« Last Edit: 2010-01-17 19:59:06 by kranmer »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #27 on: 2010-01-17 22:50:57 »
Ok just installed "Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 Desktop"
thats close enuff to my os,i just use kde instead of gnome... and ati video...

Did you check your CFG had the wine plugin for FF7music and not just the normal FF7music plugin ?
yes this config has been working correctly for quite some time (but i have double checked "music_plugin=ff7music_wine.fgp")
and oddly enuff the sfx work perfectly the whole time.. (the "crash" won't crash ff7 but it will kill bkround music)
did you install both 32 and 64 bit versions of VC++ since the error seems to be VC++ related ?
now that i have not done i have used winetricks to install , vc2005/vc2008 runtime (and sp1 for 2008), but i don't know if it installed the 32-bit or 64-bit version of them...

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-01-17 23:17:58 »
ok well you could try installing vc2005/2008 runtimes in both 32and64bit to see if that makes any difference. (i installed the 32bit ones first then the 64bit versions afterwards, the 64bit version of vc2008 crashed after the installation of the files but it seemed to have already finished installing)
Also i only used the originals i didnt use any SP versions so this may have also made a difference. (i will try installing SP1 for vc tomorrow to see if it makes any difference).
also in your previous post you said you are using ff7music 1.5, did you mean 1.51 or are you using a old version ?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-01-18 10:24:35 »
The wine version of the FF7Music plugin will only work with one specific version of FF7Music; file version 1.5.1.1, mtime October 16, 2005. Any other version will just crash.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #30 on: 2010-01-18 12:10:05 »
The wine version of the FF7Music plugin will only work with one specific version of FF7Music; file version 1.5.1.1, mtime October 16, 2005. Any other version will just crash.

i'm assuming that i do have version 1.5.1.1 since this set up was working 100% no issues, but that is another thing i will check... also i have install the 32 and 64 bit versions of vc++ 2008, but no further developments.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 2010-01-22 09:28:47 »
I know that this isn't really a solution so much as a workaround, but: if you have your own copy of FF7 PSX and have the equipment to dump your own PSOne BIOS, you can play the game using ePSXe legally. ePSXe-Linux isn't perfect, but I suspect it will be less problematic than trying to run ff7.exe on WINE.

There are plenty of tutorials for BIOS dumping out there. Contact me if you want further instructions.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #32 on: 2010-01-23 04:02:57 »
I know that this isn't really a solution so much as a workaround, but: if you have your own copy of FF7 PSX and have the equipment to dump your own PSOne BIOS, you can play the game using ePSXe legally. ePSXe-Linux isn't perfect, but I suspect it will be less problematic than trying to run ff7.exe on WINE.

There are plenty of tutorials for BIOS dumping out there. Contact me if you want further instructions.

first off thanks for the suggestion,i have a psx copy of ff7 and a working psx and ps2 so playing on a real one is not a problem,also my psx emulator works decently using pcsx(i use a real ps2 controller(s) with it.).i mainly want to play on my computer because of the vast improvements that have been made to the pc version by members of this forum and others.ff7 looks so good with aali's driver, T.A's 2d overhall,along with other model mods that it just leaves the psx version even in any emulator scaled w/ any filter to 1680*1050 looking a much poorer quality then the pc, and that not even counting the awesomeness that is the remastered ost that FinalFan Tim did.my problems are not really running ff7 in wine at all,infact it works really good...the only issue that i have is that ff7music keeps crashing after it does a song change. so it just runs the game w/o background music, i suspose i could try getting the normal midi to work or use the psf soundfont files...

inukaze

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-09-13 05:39:07 »
Well i use "Ubuntu Lucid 10.04" 32 Bits

I need

1 - CDEmu ( PPA )
2 - Wine1.2 ( Stable PPA )
3 - Timidity & Pmidi ( Dont need it if you wanna use FF7Music MP3 OST Remix )
4 - Aali OpenGL Driver
5 - tm20dec.ax
6 - FF7 1.2 Official Patch Version

Take it Easy , I Have a Spanish ¿Guide? on my blog you can visit : http://inukaze.wordpress.com/juegos-wine/final-fantasy-vii-7-pc/jwff7pc-01/ with you can need to play ( i hope )

Works : CD1 , Videos , GamePlay ( GamePlay turns for me Slowly when Shera Appear ( Patner of Cid ? ) , Mods Of New : Textures , Movies , Avatars , Fonts , Menues . Chocobo Racing Works .

Well i hope this info can help you :=) ^^

litexUK

• View Profile
    • litex.pl/en
« Reply #34 on: 2017-04-07 16:34:31 »
Jesus, I work on Kubuntu now, games are v. slow. Wine is only of little help, honestly. Will try out some tricks here - but I really would like to play some FFs after changing the OS. Will get back w/ questions, probably.