Author Topic: Mega-All removing functions  (Read 2476 times)

Richard Rahl

• View Profile
Mega-All removing functions
« on: 2020-06-17 06:30:02 »
my hope is to learn how to remove some functionality from mega-all. specifically i want to remove its ability to affect command materia, and the attack override. i saw in a previous post that there might be a way to remove the slash-all override with a hex editor. i know black chocobo has a hex editor tab but wasnt able to find a line starting with 0x in it. id probably need a bit more guidance in order to understand the hex editing if thats the route i need to go.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11484.0

i want the mega-all to function as an all materia only for magic, and basically a watered down version of master magic materia - all combo. im currently planning a hardcore mod playthrough by gjoerulv but want to further limit myself by not allowing me to just deathblow-all or mug-all whole groups. im not sure if mega-all applies to counter, but if it did id wanta remove that too.

as a final option i could try to reintroduce master materia to gjoerulv's mod but he replaced the 3 master materias with coin, flash, and banish. while its definatly an option id rather go with a neutered mega-all with normal magic materia since it would require a bit more inventory management and force me to be more selective in what materia i slot.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Re: Mega-All removing functions
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-17 10:48:27 »
i know black chocobo has a hex editor tab but wasnt able to find a line starting with 0x in it.

This is not something you can alter in Black Chocobo, because it only works on save files, and what you're talking about is code that is stored in the game's executable - ff7_en.exe.

If all that you want to do is restrict yourself in a hardcore run why not just remove the Mega-All and not use it, and use Master Magic+All instead? It would mean that you have to edit field files to put the Master Magic back into the game, but that should be quite easy to do with Makou Reactor.

Richard Rahl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-06-17 14:39:06 »
yeah shortly after posting this i spent 2 hours talking with someone who gave me a crash course in understanding what hex is. i was able to get a hex editor and make the edit nfitc1 suggested in the linked post. that eliminated the slash-all addition to the attack slot, but i still need to figure out how to eliminate the all effect on all the other command materia.

master all would grant every spell, while mega-all striped down to only materia functionality would force me to use far more slots. if i want restore, barrier and time for example just for a melee setup thats 4 slots including the mega. master+all does it in 2 and includes every other magic spell in the game. the point is to force me to pick and choose what spells i can fit into the slots, not give me everything i could want and more. the master + all is kinda a last ditch solution if i cant find someone who can point me in the right direction for limiting the mega.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2020-06-17 19:52:10 »
This is why I always put copious amounts of addresses in my posts. So I can refer back to them and find what's what. :)

In this case, if you want to remove functionality to commands, you can make a similar change to 0x001CC3C3 from 7D to EB. This will bypass the command-level assignment of the mega-all. Combine with the change in that other post and there will be no modifications to commands.

Richard Rahl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-06-18 02:33:32 »
thank you nfitc1, ill go ahead and make that edit.