Author Topic: FF8 Launcher - Custom resolutions and 8-bit paletted textures fix (patch)  (Read 148698 times)

Swampthing15

• View Profile
ok guys....new to the ff8 moding....i downloaded you launcher and following the readme (i think...) but when i start the launcher i get an error as follows...

....\ff8_launcher_v1.3\ff8_launcher.exe

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

i ahve a feeling im missing something obvious here....sorry if this problem has been fixed i tried to read the posts but for some reason im having problems staying focused today....may have skimmed over it

as i said im just starting my ff8 pc expierence....recent finished ff7 with some mods...are there any mods that u guys recomend....it seems that graffically every1 focuses more on 7 than 8...very few mods that ive found for 8....thx again

EDIT: lol ok i was right...it was obvious...i forgot to download that microsoft thing...so that problem is fixed...still havent done anything else yet...
« Last Edit: 2008-04-29 02:36:13 by Swampthing15 »

Striker

Hello,

I did this procedure to hope to make work FF8 on PC via Vista.

"OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!11 It worxxxx... Did a stupid trick and it works!!!
Now a tut how to do this:

Got FF8 to run on Vista x86 without any Graphic Glitches
You need:

FF8 ^^
1.2 Patch (for me,i needed the NON GeForce Patch for my GeForce 6200!!!)
The Loader from Magixts, v1.3 or higher (great tool.. GREAT!)
The Visual C++ 2008 runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&DisplayLang=en
A new eax.dll .. i've downloaded from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?eax

Now installing:

Install FF8 normally, EAX will install itself at the end of the installation
Copy 1.2 patch files to installation directory (no Game subfoler at all!)
Copy the loader files to the installation directory
Install the Visual C++ 2008 runtime
Got to the software deinstallation in the control center and UNINSTALL eax unified
Extract the new downloaded eax.dll to {Windir}/system32

Now the fun:

Run FF8_Loader.exe, Set Resolution to whatever, check the 8bit paletted texture fix checkbox, click PLAY and enjoy!"

--> But i've got no luck yet, after seeing the logo of EIDOS, the game crash and return to windows Vista.  Any help will be very appréciate.

Striker

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
Hey there!
Just wanted to ask another time for the window mode function here... Would be the ultimate tool for FF8 than... Hope it will work sometime. :)
Thanks! :)

JasE

Hi, I am on Vista with graphic card intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, have anyone with same graphic card successfully install the game? Can anyone confirm me whether can i play ff8 with my laptop or not? Also, should I download patch 1.2 too, as my graphic card is not Geforce? Thanks in advance! :-)

jakeslogan

Hey, I really need launcher for win98SE, I've tried v1.2 and it didn't work. :-D

Terid__K

Hey, I really need launcher for win98SE, I've tried v1.2 and it didn't work. :-D

Windows 98 is dead. I'm surprised there are still people who use it. Upgrade to XP (NOT to Vista... yet).

Besides, magixts has stopped working on the Launcher, so don't expect an update.

gotenksssj22002

• View Profile
ok u guy will proberly hate me for this but i've found a problem with the launcher works fine and everything but after a few mins of playing the game the screen goes blank cud it be cuz i'm using the geforce patch and not the non-geforce one any ways i'm gonig to see if the non-geforce one lets me continue to play the game

edit: just tryed it with the non-geforce patch same problem just happened a few moments later my vid card is nvidia geforce se 512meg any ideas on what i can do?

edit 2: sorted it its was my damn video drivers to modern for the game >.< i'm back to using some really old drivers
« Last Edit: 2008-08-01 03:21:55 by gotenksssj22002 »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a non-Rapidshare link to the launcher?, the site claims I'm already downloading a file and has been saying that for the last 2 hours.

Site works now nevermind  :roll:
« Last Edit: 2008-08-01 09:53:55 by DragonNinja »

abw42

I need help. I am running XP with a 7900gtx with the latest drivers.

I installed FF8
I installed the nvidia 1.2 patch
I copied over the launcher files
I installed the Visual C++ 2008 runtime file

The game launches fine. However when I check that 8bit setting under config it still shows fail. When the game runs the intro plays perfectly and the game doesnt crash or anything. However whenever I am moving around the game chops terribly. To the point where it isnt worth playing. Whenever my character moves around the game chops and chops. I dont understand why. It runs better if I go into my nvidia settings and force it to load with AA. The higher AA I load the better it runs but it still not really playable at any level.

I dont wanna get some old computer or any older equipment to play it. Is there some combination of settings I can do to get the game to run. I dont care how it looks I just want it to run smoothly so I can enjoy it.

Tanuki

Hello. A widescreen report for FFVIII using the launcher has been posted here.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137803#137803

When testing I noticed that the 1280x768 option is actually outputting at 1280x720. Checking the source material it looks like a typo in one of the config files. I do not have Visual Studio but I was able to find a solution for 1280x768 users with a HEX editor.

There is a bug in the launcher that has 1280x768 output as 1280x720. To fix this open "FF8_Launcher.exe" with a HEX editor. Search for the following...

80 02 00 00 E0 01 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CC 46 40 00 20 03 00 00 58 02 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FC 46 40 00 00 04 00 00 00 03 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 30 47 40 00 80 04 00 00 60 03 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 64 47 40 00 00 05 00 00 D0 02 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 98 47 40 00 00 05 00 00 D0 02

Change the bolded "D0 02" to "00 03".

Then open "dx_hook.dll" with a HEX editor. Search for the following...

80 02 00 00 E0 01 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 DC BA 00 10 20 03 00 00 58 02 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F4 BA 00 10 00 04 00 00 00 03 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 BB 00 10 80 04 00 00 60 03 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2C BB 00 10 00 05 00 00 D0 02 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 48 BB 00 10 00 05 00 00 D0 02

Change the bolded "D0 02" to "00 03".

If the creator magixts or someone could update or recompile the launcher that would be great. I could also see if I can get the files I tweaked a download link at the site above. That would depend on the creator's approval however. :-D Hope this helps someone.

And a big thanks to magixts.

Terid__K

I need help. I am running XP with a 7900gtx with the latest drivers.

There's your problem. Any driver newer than 163.75 will cause that effect.

Geez people really need to learn how to use the search button.

Aveyond06

Erm...

Hi there,

I've got this Error about the path directory...I mean my FF8.exe won't budge from C:\Program Files\Eidos Interactive\Squaresoft I\FF8\Game but the launcher wants it into the FF8 normal folder (without \game).

I tried running it from the thing that must be Run in Vista; no success. Same went for the shortcut, I did the steps in page 4 but it only led me to an "illegal path".

So there am I, I'm looking for either a way to have FF8 with the 8-bit textures passed (I have a GeForce 8600) or maybe a way to tweak the program so it actually runs the FF8.exe program.

isosian

Hi, can anyone upload the file to another host? I can't download from rapidshare.Thanks in advance.

MiChOcO

Oh guys ... I need to know ... I installed the patch but I don't have a Ge Force, I've a RADEON 9600 SERIES.

And this is how it looks on my computer :
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4731/ff8mochehp3.png
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9471/ff8moche2yn2.png

I need to know if it's because I don't have a Ge Force card, or if it's the best we can have for this game on PC  :?
'Cause on the PSX the graphics are much better than that !  :| I can't stand to see a bunch of pixels and polygons when I go on the map  :-o

moetown

Hey,I got a question concerning the launcher,maybe you you can help me.I got the Game running under XP using the ff8_launcher with the following specs:

Athlon XP 2600+
Geforce 7600 GT
1 GB RAM

Works fine and all,but what's really annoying is that all the text in the game is not "smooth" like it is in the screenshots ZLIB posted above,but it's quite "pixely" like it isn't filtered or not in a correct way.This Problem occurs in 3D-Mode and in Software-Mode as well.Does anyone know a possibility how to adress this problem or,better,how to solve it?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Enable high res fonts in the regular FF8 config, if they are not already enabled.

moetown

Oh,yes,lol,i finally found the checkbox "enable high-res fonts",thank you.

But now i got another problem,doesn't concern the ff8_launcher",but i'll post it here anyway.After installing the new ff8_config from the STICKY-Thread,i don't get any music any more.In the game i get the soundeffects,but not the music.Testing the musicfiles with this configuration tool resulted in a "failure" notice.Re-installing the game in a different path didn't solve the problem,so i guess it's got to be a problem with the midi-synthesizer.But it worked properly before.Any idea?

Gezzaman

OK i got this to work guys perfectly on windows XP sp 2

i installed FF8
patched it up with to 1.2 geforce patch
installed C++ 2008 blah blah

ran launcher with 8-bit texture fix

OK here is what ive learnt!

IF game hangs on movies / intro movie logo etc. UPDATE UR SOUND CARD DRIVER
yes i know it sounds weird. but it used to hang for me. now it doesnt and FF8 runs perfectly and runs so beautifully with 8x AA 8x antistroping thingy and 1280 x 1024 on LOL

ye i forced it on with geforce ;p

moetown

Everything worked fine until I installed the new configuration tool from the link in the "Sticky" Thread.But now I have a clue,the homepage where i can get this config tool says that the tool changes a value in the registry entry for ff8.I'm gonna try to set it to default and will tell you if it worked.

sanosuke_hidane

I've been reading this thread for a couple of hours now, downloading everything that had worked for other people, but now I'm stuck.  I click the launcher and check the 8 bit box, but I still receive an Create Process(FF8.exe) returned an error...ERROR CODE 2. 

I understand that Ossott had replied to a post that also had that problem, so I followed what Ossott had recommended with the launcher and putting it through the Run dialog and all, but it still gives me ERROR CODE 2. 

Does anyone know what I should do?   

Any tip would be GODLY at this point.   :cry:

Thanks,
Sano

sanosuke_hidane

Hi There,

I am following the procedure to install the loader, but when I finally go to run it, I get an error code 740. Any help would be great
daniel.

btw, I tried to disable my sound in the system screen, but I still got the same message.

tx

I have the same problem, but someone answered this question some posts back (I think it's on the 3rd page) and it worked for them.  However, now I have a different problem.  T_T

Good Luck!

jaa,
sano

magixts

• View Profile
I've been reading this thread for a couple of hours now, downloading everything that had worked for other people, but now I'm stuck.  I click the launcher and check the 8 bit box, but I still receive an Create Process(FF8.exe) returned an error...ERROR CODE 2. 

I understand that Ossott had replied to a post that also had that problem, so I followed what Ossott had recommended with the launcher and putting it through the Run dialog and all, but it still gives me ERROR CODE 2. 

Thanks,
Sano
Error code 2 means file cannot be found. Make sure the FF8.exe is located in the same directory as the launcher exceutable.

sanosuke_hidane

Thanks,
Sano
Error code 2 means file cannot be found. Make sure the FF8.exe is located in the same directory as the launcher exceutable.

But it is...I'll try installing FF8 again and see what happens. 

So I installed it again, and now I receive error code 740.  So I run FF8 Launcher as an administrator, and now I receive:  "FF8.exe Application Error-Application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000ba).  Click OK to terminate the application."

When I click OK, FF8 stops working and now I'm stuck again.   :cry:

Is there something wrong with the installation itself? 

By the way, thank you for replying to my post.  I really appreciate it.  =D 

jaa,
sano

Nagi

ok ive done everything in the links fmv,s run fine dont seem to have aby lines any were but still got huge black boxes everywere any ideas

i runing vista32
8800gtx 756mb
amd athlon 64 x2 3.20 ghz
and 4 gig ram

and also if any one know any fixes for ff7 cause the toons dont be have right in the fmv movement action like when im on t elevator in joun

Nagi

ok  i can get rid of the boxes if i dont use direct 3d hardware acceleration but textures reall suck the 8 bit paletted textures patch dosent seem to be working so any ideas would be great  thanks