Author Topic: FF8 Launcher - Custom resolutions and 8-bit paletted textures fix (patch)  (Read 148730 times)

magixts

• View Profile
I've been reading this thread for a couple of hours now, downloading everything that had worked for other people, but now I'm stuck.  I click the launcher and check the 8 bit box, but I still receive an Create Process(FF8.exe) returned an error...ERROR CODE 2. 

I understand that Ossott had replied to a post that also had that problem, so I followed what Ossott had recommended with the launcher and putting it through the Run dialog and all, but it still gives me ERROR CODE 2. 

Does anyone know what I should do?   

Any tip would be GODLY at this point.   :cry:

Thanks,
Sano
Error code 2 means file cannot be found. Make sure the FF8.exe is located in the same directory as the launcher exceutable.

But it is...I'll try installing FF8 again and see what happens. 

So I installed it again, and now I receive error code 740.  So I run FF8 Launcher as an administrator, and now I receive:  "FF8.exe Application Error-Application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000ba).  Click OK to terminate the application."

When I click OK, FF8 stops working and now I'm stuck again.   :cry:

Is there something wrong with the installation itself? 

By the way, thank you for replying to my post.  I really appreciate it.  =D 

jaa,
sano
Error code 740 means the application requires elevation to run. From your post I understand that you are already running the launcher as administartor through "right-click -> Run as administrator" which should do the trick. You might try and disable UAC and see if it helps but other than that I don't know what could be causing the error.

I remember there were someone else that had the same problem and posted in this thread who got it to work after awhile. Don't know what he did though.

sanosuke_hidane

Um...!  I'm a computer retarded and I don't know what you mean by UAC.  >_<  ( I know!  I'm horrible!  Go on and laugh!)  Anyway, putting that aside.  Do you think you could explain to me how you go about disabling the UAC?  I'm so sorry for being incompetent!  *cries!*

But thank you so much for helping me! =D  It's been so frustrating trying to figure out how to work this whole thing out...>_<;

Thanks again!

jaa,
sano

Nagi

UAC = user account control

magixts

• View Profile
Um...!  I'm a computer retarded and I don't know what you mean by UAC.  >_<  ( I know!  I'm horrible!  Go on and laugh!)  Anyway, putting that aside.  Do you think you could explain to me how you go about disabling the UAC?  I'm so sorry for being incompetent!  *cries!*

But thank you so much for helping me! =D  It's been so frustrating trying to figure out how to work this whole thing out...>_<;

Thanks again!

jaa,
sano
Control Panel -> User accounts -> Activate or inactivate UAC.

Do note though that it should not be needed to turn off UAC for the launcher to work.

sanosuke_hidane

So I managed to disable UAC, but now every time I click 'play ff8', it just gives me 'FF*.exe-Application Error:  The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000ba).  Click OK to terminate the application.'  Afterwards, FF8 stops working. 

I tried running it in windows 95 and 98 settings but it didn't work, and I tried working with the run program.  Hmm...I be confuzzled.   :? 

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for all the help that you've been giving me, by the way!  =D

jaa,
sano

magixts

• View Profile
So I managed to disable UAC, but now every time I click 'play ff8', it just gives me 'FF*.exe-Application Error:  The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000ba).  Click OK to terminate the application.'  Afterwards, FF8 stops working. 

I tried running it in windows 95 and 98 settings but it didn't work, and I tried working with the run program.  Hmm...I be confuzzled.   :? 

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for all the help that you've been giving me, by the way!  =D

jaa,
sano
Does it work without the launcher?

Could be a CRC error in the FF8 installation or Launcher. Or faulty memmory. I'm afraid I can't give you much help except to try reinstalling windows/drivers/ff8/launcher etc.

TomZ

« Last Edit: 2008-09-23 08:14:20 by TomZ »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Sorry, there is a policy against helping people with downloaded games.

GrammerNatzi

• View Profile
Is there a way to get this to work with Final Fantasy 8 Configurator?

mistdragon

Hi all~ I created an account just to say THANKS for this wonderful program!

It really works, I almost can't believe it, forgive  the 2-4 lines slashing down the screen but, its cool. It WORKS and that's all that matters :D

Though, I would like an insight on... is it possible to... remove those lines permanently?

Oh and, I have a few problems, not really related, but if anyone knows, please help me with it. :3

--
I created image (.iso) files from my disc, and tried to use a mount. I am using Alcohol120%. Anyways... I changed the regedit thingie to fit my Virtual Drive, which is 'd:'. But it still won't load, repeatedly asking me to put in the right disc. This issue isn't that big, since I can put in the real discs. But the real discs are getting old, full of scratches (I got it in 2001). Can anyone help?

Erm, I 'transported' my Save folder from my old computer which is an XP, to my new Vista laptop. The thing is, save slot 1-3 seems to be... 'stuck'. I can't erase it. Is there some sort of problem? ._.
--

Thanks if you can help, if not,  I might create a new thread soon... kinda don't want the ancient discs to spoil. :3

And once again, sincere, heartfelt thanks to the threadstarter and this program!

divertiti

Thank you very much for this :D

Now I'm just gonna put this out there, is there a chance at all that you might do something like this for FF7?
Saint's High res patch doesn't have the resolution that's compatible with my HDTV (1366*768) so I can't use it :(

Please please please and thank you.

Cazador

• View Profile
I know this is a bit off topic but it's easier than wasting new thread space. I can't enable EAX in the config the checkbox is just grayed out. I have EAX installed so I don't know what the problem is, I just want some good sounding music.

P.S. great work on the launcher, I love it!

Goku7

• View Profile
What type of sound card do you have?  I assume you've already installed the whole EAX unified thing and/or whatever EAX drivers that came with your sound card.

If you're using a Soundblaster Live! or Audigy series card, check to see if the sound acceleration slider is set all to the way to "Full".  I've noticed that if its not on full, games will refuse to see your card's EAX functionality regardless of whatever driver you have installed.

Cazador

• View Profile
My sound card is called Realtek. I don't know anything about it haha

Edit: After looking around it seems Vista doesn't support EAX ( I have Vista) Can anyone confirm this. Maybe someone knows a way to fix it?
« Last Edit: 2008-10-30 03:00:47 by Cazador »

noreply

Hello people! I just wanted to ask how I can change the resolution, for example to 1600 * 1200?
« Last Edit: 2008-11-03 06:46:26 by noreply »

GrammerNatzi

• View Profile
I've got a question: which language did you use? I think you probably used C# or C++, but if you used anything else, tell me. I'd be glad to hear.  :wink:

b0b360

Hi guys,

First up I'd just like to say thanks a lot for this patch. I probably haven't had as much trouble as the rest of you as I've literally just tried to play FFVIII for the first time tonight on the PC with Vista. Obviously I was lucky enough to find this!

I just want to confirm that even running this game with the 1.31 patch at a resolution of 1024 for example should still be full screen?

If I run the game in its original 640 x 480 resolution it fills my screen. If I was to run it as anything else i.e. 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768 - the game will run in a window in the top left of the screen. Whatever movie has just played will fill the full screen with the window on top of it in the top left.

I'm running Vista 32 bit, Inter Quad Core (2.4GHz), GeForce 8500 GT.

Sorry for being a total n00b and thanks in advance :)

Goku7

• View Profile
And now for more of the same:  I've got an error report! :roll:

I've been trying to get ff8 running correctly in hardware mode on my friends computer (an HP Pavilion Slimline), which is some random ~2ghz Core2duo running Vista with an nVidia GeForce 6150 LE built into the motherboard.  Hardware mode continues to give me the "black boxes in background" problem, even when using the launcher and checking the 8bit textures fix.  I can't remember the exact driver version ofhand, but I seem to remember it saying something like "version 178".  And yes, I have installed the 1.2 GeForce patch for FF8.

Software mode runs without problems, and also makes things look as crappy as they tend to when I first get up in the morning. :wink:

kim_mandy36

Does anyone know where I can download the loader with going through rapidshire? I can't dl it from there ... or can someone e-mail me the file? I really really really want to play FF8 properly on my Vista and my only problem is the black square conundrum ...

angelnite

Hi, I have a question. Everytime i play, after a awhile, it'll start to get laggy and hangs. To be more specific, the graphic stays still but the music and the background still goes on, meaning that i can still press X and continue walking and stuff, but the picture still stays the same as the point where it hung. Anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks!

gotenksssj22002

• View Profile
ok guys can anyone tell me how to get the launcher to use my AA nvidia settings cuz i'm having no luck at all
« Last Edit: 2008-11-23 18:29:09 by gotenksssj22002 »

td854

Hello, I have a small issue.

I'm using a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4, and a Geforce 6600.

I get the same texture errors on the world map that MiChOcO mentioned earlier shown here:
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9471/ff8moche2yn2.png

I'd really like to get rid of these, I've tried many settings such as changing the Negative LOD Bias offset to no avail. I really could use some help, this is the only thing stopping me from playing this atm.

agentclam

Had to register to say thanks!

I'm not sure how or why, but I'm running an older ATI card and the launcher still works without a hitch.

Kam

Huge thanks to magixts for this launcher. I'd exausted all other options before coming across this.

Along with VII that I also got working today, and X that I have emulated flawlessly.. I am in FF heaven.

andytankk

hey guys...
i'm a bit lost here.
i've downloaded the loader but it's in a zip file and requires a password to unzip!
i've been browsing the forum for the longest time to look for the password but cant seem to find it.
am i missing something here?
please help!