Author Topic: Does exist a portable version of 7th Heaven 2.0?  (Read 2404 times)

psaez

• View Profile
Does exist a portable version of 7th Heaven 2.0?
« on: 2020-06-22 21:39:38 »
Hi

I know it's near to impossible that this software has a virus inside, but is being marked as trojan by two antivirus in virustotal.com as you can see here:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8c669bbe86b7414d1f37cd5c7ed9b69de74bc0cdcdca6b07b224f0cfcaf0e97b/detection

Personally I can't install a software that is marked as virus by virustotal. I hope someone can show this to the creator of the software and maybe if he know this, he will release a portable version. Why? because 99% of the positives of free homebrew software in virustotal are caused by installer generators, which adds trojans or false positives in the installer. Releasing a portable version solves this issue, because no trojan or false positive is injected.

Please, show this to the creator of the software, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one don't want to install a software with two positives in virustotal.com

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: Does exist a portable version of 7th Heaven 2.0?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-23 02:44:26 »
Please, show this to the creator of the software, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one don't want to install a software with two positives in virustotal.com
I doubt it's possible.  7H depends on having admin-level access to the game files, and in the case of Steam, the ability to copy files out of system-protected folders like \Program Files (x86)\ into non-protected folders like \Games\. As for virustotal, the two engines claiming there's "something" are ones I'd never heard of.  Maybe if the well-known ones like Kaspersky, Trend, and ESET were flagging it, unab0mb might have a problem.  But "eGambit" and "Jiangmin"??  Hoo dey?

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #2 on: 2020-06-24 00:29:09 »
Yes, a portable version has always been available: http://7thheaven.rocks./releases/7th_Heaven_2_0_3_406_Portable.zip . Unzip all files and subfolders to a directory of your choice (C:\7th Heaven\ is the default).

With that said, your stats are completely made up, and no, well-known installer generators do not inject trojans into the installers. Nobody would use them of course, defeating their purpose. Additionally, antivirus tools are next to useless these days and detect damn near anything as a false positive, particularly for software like 7H that modifies/hooks an external program or memory. AVs are more of a security and privacy risk these days. A multi-engine tool like VirusTotal that uses questionable, poorly developed, fly-by-night AV programs just magnifies the problem and gives people a false sense of security while at the same time causing unnecessary hysteria due to false positives on perfectly benign software (like 7H, FFNx, Satsuki's Speed Hack, SR, etc.). If anything, the fact that only 2 no-name AV programs falsely detecting when multiple other, more reliable AV programs don't, should tell you something. These things are about as reliable as getting your news from Facebook.

psaez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2024-01-14 15:46:29 »
Yes, a portable version has always been available: http://7thheaven.rocks./releases/7th_Heaven_2_0_3_406_Portable.zip . Unzip all files and subfolders to a directory of your choice (C:\7th Heaven\ is the default).

Hi

the link is dead. Is there a section of the web where you upload portable versions?

Can't find it, and the positives are still present