Author Topic: The AnimeVamp Final Fantasy7 XP update patch hoax:PLZ READ!!  (Read 42128 times)

FF_Lover

The AnimeVamp Final Fantasy 7 XP update patch hoax: FFVIIXP_patch.zip unveiled

What REALLY happens when you install the so called "100% XP Copatibility Patch"

-ff7.exe is changed to FF7 version 1.02 with a few  "nop"s = do nothing commands = hex code $90 at offset: Hexadecimal address 36E033 through 36E039, used to be hex code "0F BF 94 01
B8 86 01 00" in case you want to search and replace your exe, i think it's the cd-protection check, i am not sure tho.

-gm.dls in windows\system32\drivers is simply overwritten with a new 6 megabyte file => probably makes most of the filesize, also explains the sudden problems with MIDI playback for some other
user in the forum that complained, remedy this by restoring that single file from your windows cd-rom (search inside the cab files with search then extract the file to the folder mentioned)
details: file date 06/08/2002, size 6615616 bytes

-FF7 ReadMe.txt is created, labeled  "Final Fantasy VII ~XP Optimised~ README file", absolutely bullshit with nothing really interesting or new added.

-FF7config.exe is replaced with one dated 06/05/2002 size 448000, file compare shows that the ONLY difference is that the string "1.02" has been replaced with "XP" so basically it's the identical eidos 1.02 file

Summary: Somebody probably messed around a bit with the midi files, maybe even ripped off someone's work like threesixty's or someone elses, fucked around with an installer program and "hacked" some strings in the files to pretend he actually did something useful which he did not. This is all just the pitiful attempt at pretending someone made an indepdentent XP
 patch which is simply not true and i felt this should be revealed. I used filemon from sysinternals to track the changes made and also made directory listings of the FF dir and windows dir to see which files were changed.

Now what _I_ want to know is: Which FF7 midi replacement package a) sounds best b) is the most recent c) works and where can i get it ? i have 360s and tiad-what'shisnames downloaded, haven't tried them yet. The XG-SbLive! one is down along witth he complete fice-webpage.

Oh and, FF7 is still the best game i ever played considering replayability and dedication to story and characters, period. ;)   (To add a bit fervor)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
The AnimeVamp Final Fantasy7 XP update patch hoax:PLZ READ!!
« Reply #1 on: 2002-10-23 21:34:24 »
The patched FF7.exe is identical to the FF7 chocobo patch, yet I don't recall any credit given to jedwin... And replacing GM.dls, that's just a horrible thing to do, replacing system files without even warning the users. So unless the new music is somehow original, the *entire* patch is in actuality a huge ripoff. Wish I could say this comes as a surprise  :erm:

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-10-23 22:15:09 »
Which leads me to ask my insane question of the moment...
...What would happen if you replaced gm.dls with Sam's FF8 DLS?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-10-23 23:20:38 »
You'd break the original GM.DLS's compatibilty with the GS specification, instrument-wise, especially with the drums.

Also, note that AFAIK, the original GM.DLS file size hovers around 3mb.

They either used bigger samples, or added a lot more of them.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2002-10-23 23:21:40 »
That's all?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-10-23 23:25:10 »
From a theorectical perspective, yes, I believe that's what would happen.

Also, there might be other incompatibilties with the MS-GS synth, as it might be trying to look for only a 3mb file, and here it is with a 45mb DLS file it now has.

But, feel free to try it out, (back up the original file first) and report your findings.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2002-10-23 23:27:50 »
Unfortunately, I tried it, checked, "Hey, this sounds nice". Come to find, it was only in my head -_-'
I had a battle with windows. Delete the file, there it pops up again. I eventually THOUGHT I won, but it restored itself. How can I keep Windows from restoring the original? (yes, I've got it backed up)

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-10-24 00:22:22 »
Hmmm......are you using WindowsXP (or 2k or even ME for that matter?)

Sounds like some of the self-maintanence routines that the later versions of Windows has, is what's causing it.  In short, if you change something and windows doesn't like it, it'll change it back.

You might be able to get it to work on a Win98 system, because I don't think it is as finicky when it comes to stuff like this.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-10-24 00:33:31 »
WinME...hrm...