Author Topic: location of town field models?  (Read 5318 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
location of town field models?
« on: 2010-08-17 21:10:39 »
I wanna work on a small side project with the town models that you see when in the field, but i cannot find them anywhere. I searched through world_us.lgp but none of the models apply to the towns. I also scoured the reconstruction doc butt still came up empty handed.

If anyone knows where to find them, please let me know!

lee

*edit* also, does anyone have a copy of ficedula's old world map file viewer? i can't even recall the name, and i remember that it "barely" worked.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-17 21:45:52 by pyrozen »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: location of town field models?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-17 21:56:18 »
Grimmy was working on them, he would probably know.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-18 12:54:39 »
If you mean the World map models, they're all part of the world map mesh which is so far uneditable.
The program I think you mean is called 'Reeve', I think. I'll upload it in a sec.

Would be really nice if someone made a full blown world map editor - not really sure how it would work though. It might help get rid of some of that awful texture mapping, actually :P

EDIT: Here - http://ncs.millenia3d.net/etc/Reeve.zip

(not sure if it needs that many dlls, but I included them just in case)
Tell me if you have any problem with it, personally I've never got it to work.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-18 13:03:46 by NCS »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-18 15:03:36 »
Static parts are in the worldmap mesh, parts that can move or change are separate models. Its quite obvious if you look closely which parts are not connected to the world mesh and if you change camera mode (or change camera angle suddenly in some other way) you will see them move slightly out of sync with the rest of the world.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-18 19:26:21 »
Static parts are in the worldmap mesh, parts that can move or change are separate models. Its quite obvious if you look closely which parts are not connected to the world mesh and if you change camera mode (or change camera angle suddenly in some other way) you will see them move slightly out of sync with the rest of the world.

i had a feeling that they were connected to the mesh, but i wanted to double check before i made any assumptions. Grimmy has also confirmed that they are attached, so for now altering the towns on the world map looks to be a dead-end.

lee

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2010-08-18 19:34:14 »
At last, someone posts a new technical thread, rather than some rant on cat abuse / films we like / similarly pointless rubbish.

Now, to the matter - field editing.

Impossible? No. Tricky? Likely. Worthwhile? Certainly.

I don't know much about non-battle stuff, but take a look at the Q-gears source. See how it handles world map assets. You might get some clues there...

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-08-18 20:00:47 »
Its a rather simple format and pretty much everything you need is already known. Someone just has to put it all together and write an editor.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-08-18 20:58:34 »
Being able to redo the world mesh would be a huge improvement to the game. Imagine what the texture artists could do if they didn't have to worry about the way ff7 tiles things.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-08-18 21:10:13 »
Being able to redo the world mesh would be a huge improvement to the game. Imagine what the texture artists could do if they didn't have to worry about the way ff7 tiles things.
even if we could remesh the entire world map it would be an improvement. If the entire thing could be made into a large displacement map you could overlay one texture to cover the entire thing and you wouldn't have any seams. It would be a major PITA, but i think it would be easier than the way i had to do the WMRP.