Author Topic: Constant Crashing since updating to 7H 2.0  (Read 2433 times)

BlueWolf

• View Profile
Constant Crashing since updating to 7H 2.0
« on: 2020-03-28 04:29:17 »
So I'm getting constant crashing since I've updated to 7H 2.0 I would run all the same mods on the previous version of 7H and this did not happen at all on my last playthrough. One error I am reading in my APP log is [00177840] ERROR: texture cache is full and nothing could be evicted! as well as
[00178048] TRACE: MiniDumpWriteDump failed with error: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Obviously I believe it is a texture cache issue but my questions now are why is this effecting me now when they didn't before and how do I fix this issue? The crashes are completely random as well. It usually happens when changing screens, like going from one area to the next. Most recently it happened mid combat. I could really use some help on this please and thank you.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Re: Constant Crashing since updating to 7H 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 2020-03-28 17:12:52 »
Do as the error message tells you. Disable overkill texture mods if being used. Disable all your mods and enable one by one. Use default settings in the game driver. Regarding the dump failing, I haven't seen that before. Are you low on disk space? The driver unfortunately is poor at memory management right now and you will have random crashes. Save often.

BlueWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-03-28 19:18:49 »
The one setting I adjusted was "Mipmaps" It was on and it said that it may increase texture memory. So I turned that off and played for a little while with no issue. I'm not on low memory that I'm aware of. I'll keep playing and see if maybe that fixed the issue?

BlueWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-03-28 20:15:12 »
Nope it still crashes after a certain period of time it seems. The Hi-Res mods that I believe are possibly causing the issue are the HD Remako textures but I don't understand why now they crash the game where before the didn't?

BlueWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-03-28 22:51:40 »
One thing I read in the HELP section was that I could clear the memory cache but i'm not sure how to do that any help on that would be appreciated as well.

booboo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-03-29 04:26:21 »
In 7th Heaven, go to Settings>Game Driver>Advanced Tab. On the lower left of the window, you can find "Clear Texture Cache."

BlueWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-03-29 05:42:47 »
So I believe I found out the issue I believe after extensive play with no crashing. When in the Setting under Game Driver, Advanced Tab I found the "clear texture cache" option but when I clicked it it said "Path to cache folder does not exist" but it explains that the path should be C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\mods\Textures\Cache. Now for whatever reason there was not a Cache folder at the end of this path so I just went to this location and created one and everything has been fine ever since. I there are any further issues I will update.

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #7 on: 2020-03-29 18:55:22 »
You don't need to clear the texture cache unless you're using texture compression (which can delay--but not fix crashing). Mipmaps being off may help delay your crashing also, yes. Remako is fine to use (it's not using insanely high resolution upscales).

The current version of the game (Aali) driver is simply poor at memory management (so was the original Aali driver, it's just more pronounced now). The best thing you can do is save often and if you crash, restart the game. You could go 30 minutes or 7 hours, it depends on so many variables. We're investigating the issue and hope to improve the stability in the next 7H 2.0 update.