Author Topic: What on Earth is this mod?  (Read 2761 times)

JFax88

• View Profile
What on Earth is this mod?
« on: 2020-04-27 20:32:31 »
My friend sent me a youtube video of Cloud doing punisher stance from remake on the original ffvii, and swapping out characters in battle -- with animations and everything. It is the youtube channel of someone named Quantumpencil (not sure if I can post links here). I could not find how to get this mod and I was directed here as the center of all modding for this game.

What is this mod? Can it be downloaded? Can I make new moves like in these videos? Thanks.

Khrone

• View Profile
Re: What on Earth is this mod?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-28 12:00:13 »
From what I can get these are not really mods, the guy is porting chunks of the game on a new engine and that is what makes it possible to add new features such as these.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-28 12:30:47 »
My friend sent me a youtube video of Cloud doing punisher stance from remake on the original ffvii, and swapping out characters in battle -- with animations and everything. It is the youtube channel of someone named Quantumpencil (not sure if I can post links here). I could not find how to get this mod and I was directed here as the center of all modding for this game.

What is this mod? Can it be downloaded? Can I make new moves like in these videos? Thanks.
What you saw is a very early work-in-progress of a project called Sister Ray.  Quantumpencil (and others) have a lot of ideas and a lot of enthusiasm, but it's going to be a while before anything is publicly released because of the sheer scale of what they've got in mind, and the balance issues those ideas bring along (just ask Sega Chief how hard it's been to balance New Threat, and that's using vanilla game mechanics).

JFax88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-28 16:03:35 »
I see, thanks. So this can not be played with right now. That is sad -- they look unbelievable.

Is it possible for anyone to learn make stuff like in these (PHS swap and such) or does it require expert programming?

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-28 20:30:42 »
Is it possible for anyone to learn make stuff like in these (PHS swap and such) or does it require expert programming?
I'm going to answer those questions in reverse... It does require a high level of black magic and code sorcery to accomplish this stuff, BUT given the time and resources, coding is something anybody can learn to do.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-29 01:08:04 »
I think it uses C++ scripts for it, but is designed to be modular so features like that can be ported to mods that are converted for use with Sister Ray.

JFax88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-04-29 12:32:42 »
Ok, if I want to learn how to do this I should learn coding? What should I start if my goal is to be able to make things like this? learn C++? I am only 16, I don't have programming knowledge yet so I would need to start from beginning but I love this game so even if it takes many years that is ok.

Meanwhile I hope people working on this project make release version fast.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-04-29 14:07:03 »
Ok, if I want to learn how to do this I should learn coding? What should I start if my goal is to be able to make things like this? learn C++? I am only 16, I don't have programming knowledge yet so I would need to start from beginning but I love this game so even if it takes many years that is ok.
You're young, so that's a huge head start ;)  As for what language to learn, that's really going to depend on who you ask and what that person is doing. C++ and C# are going to get a lot of "Yeah, awesome!" responses, but as you probably know, those aren't the only languages out there.  You'll find a lot of people will hate on Java, but it's actually huge in real-world usage, particularly in the embedded space where devs are coding on desktop x86 hardware but deploying on ARM (Raspberry Pi is a perfect example). Languages considered by the "cool kids" to be obsolete like COBOL and FORTRAN remain in heavy demand because there are mountains of legacy code in banks and government that can't be replaced without significant amounts of pain and risk. Then there are niche languages like ladder logic (used in industrial automation, my background) that don't even look like languages at all.

As for how to learn it, don't worry so much about which language at first as much as just making it interesting (even if just silly simple), and getting/staying strong in school subjects like math.  Writing solid programs, especially games, depends on solid understanding of things like geometry (not those silly Side-Angle-Side proofs we have to do, but how points and planes behave in a three-dimensional space), linear algebra and matrix manipulation (so you can work with those points), and algorithms (a computer will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do, so you need to have a solid grasp on how to describe a process, including all impossibly rare but still possible edge cases that might cau@!#%%
Parse error before ;
Segmentation Fault: Core dumped

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2020-04-29 15:26:08 »
With all the hate Java gets, it's deserved and unwarranted at the same time. Java has some severe limitations due to the way it's created. It was designed to work in its own memory region that a lightweight VM manages. As such, it's lacking the robustness of some other languages like C#. There are pros and cons to each approach. Java's biggest pro is code never needs to be adjusted for whatever OS you want it to run on. You compile it once and it can run on nearly anything that has a jvm. With C# et al, you have to compile them in individual formats for various platforms (Windows, Legacy Windows, Mac, Linux, etc) and maintain different codes for each of them. Java also does its own garbage collection, but the vm can cause longer than necessary startup times and larger than necessary memory requirements. Java is also a little behind the curve when it comes to implementing what some would deem essentials. Lambda expressions (anonymous functions that return values) have existed in C# since version 2 back in 2005, but Java only picked them up in version 8 in 2014.

It really boils down to what you need a program to do. My preferences: Want to cross platform? Java. Want to read direct memory addresses? Anything with pointers. Need to get a grasp on how programming mechanics work? Scratch. Want to write a script? Python, Perl or Ruby (they're pretty equal for my needs). I started learning programming around 16 and I know several languages, but I'm always having to refer to the documentation for syntax and keywords (is "on" a keyword in Java or Perl? Does this language use "AND" or "&&"? etc).

JFax88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2020-04-29 19:27:28 »
This is a lot of suggestions haha, but thanks to all of you. I guess I will probably try and start with C as it seem many people use it for changing games. I'll look for an online course that teaches basics and make some easy programs first.