Author Topic: So just got pokemon Y  (Read 8885 times)

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
So just got pokemon Y
« on: 2013-10-12 09:51:02 »
You'll feel very nostalgic in the first area as you'll go through a forest similar to the first gen and you'll face a pidgy, Pikachu and a Caterpie.  Those are all the ones i've seen so far.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-12 09:53:52 by genesis063 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: So just got pokemon Y
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-12 22:30:05 »
You people keep buying this shit, Game Freak will keep (re)making it.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-12 23:43:55 »
While I completely understand your semi-true point,

• There are new mechanics and features added to make each game deeper
  • I enjoy the addition of new pokemon
  • It is still the deepest, most complex turn-based rpg to ever be created

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-13 00:43:35 »
Pokemon is now like COD to me, glad im not the only one who don't like pokemon games no more, still surprised the animation series is still going on and seems really boring, repetitive and predictable than ever only liked the first few series, but the guys making it are making tons of money continuously they'l stretch it on till they die lol.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-13 02:10:11 »
I am not what you'd call a Poke'mon fan boy or anything, and I haven't played a Poke'mon game since Ruby came out on the Gameboy Advance, but I've only ever heard good things about the games going forward. I hear the stories are simple, but well put together, and the turned based tactics make it addictive. However, I haven't played it since the GBA simply because I do not have the money to spend on the new games and hand-held consoles they came out on.

And I don't see Poke'mon being even relateable to a franchise such as Call of Duty which seems to point all its efforts into the multiplayer experience, Poke'mon has very few multiplayer capabilities from what I understand, and puts at least some effort in telling a story.

But, I will give you this, it is formulaic as hell. Which I guess is what you meant by COD?

I don't intend to buy it, but to some it is a quality product; and if people want it, why shouldn't Game Freak keep making them? There is a good market for it after all.
The same argument can be said of Call of Duty. Just because we don't like something, doesn't mean others don't as well.
Different people have different tastes, so please do not categorize games as 'shit,' because people will undoubtedly buy these titles with the the mindset of what they are playing being good, and believing it to be.

I don't mean to start an argument, and I also do not mean to sound hostile, I am simply contributing to the conversation :). Debates are fun, flame wars are not. Not that I thought you would reply with hostility ^^. (No sarcasm intended, very hard to get across with simply text.)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-13 03:13:45 »
Call of Duty goes out of its way to have a severely compressed skill gap. The best players and the worst players can play side-by-side and neither one will be able to tell. It's the FPS equivalent to rubber banding and giving better items to the players in back in Mario Kart. As far as I'm concerned, it's bad because it makes skill totally irrelevant.

Pokémon is guilty of no such shenanigans. The series may have stagnated, but even at its least-original, it's still a solid game underneath. I don't feel the same can be said of Call of Duty.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-13 03:26:09 »

As I said,

• There are new mechanics and features added to make each game deeper
  • I enjoy the addition of new pokemon

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-13 04:56:34 »
I've never played a Pokemon aside from a shot at the very first Red a couple of years ago for "cultural" purposes, but as far as I can tell it's always been a solid product that understands its base 100%, I'd be delighted if Pokemon were the worst thing in Japanese gaming right now, IMO there are far bigger fish to fry.

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-13 17:02:22 »
The Pokemon-series is by far one of the best game series out there.
It's so well done, it's awesome.

Sure, the stories are most of the time laughable, but some of them were above "Pokemon-standard".

What really makes these games so great is that special effect only few other games could provide, like WoW did several years later.
These games are fun for your typical ten-your old boy/girl, who enjoys the story, the Pokemon themselves, the catching, etc.
And there is this whole "professional" thing going on on the same time, satisfying your stereotypical japanese grinder for max stats and (for lazy people as me) all these simulators (skip that breeding, leveling-stuff :)) where the battles become something like chess.
(Yup, I've never seen such a complex, yet understandable and fun battle system in my whole gaming time, which means 20 years)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-13 17:42:11 »
I've tried to pick it up Playing a Pokemon game on three occasions and never good get interested in it. Maybe it's the overwhelming time it would take to get everything or the ludicrousness of the stories (Hay, gaiz!!!1! Lettuce fluud teh lannnd maekingg moar plaszsz fur watta-tipes pokemans!!,11one!). It just wasn't enough for me.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-10-13 19:13:49 »
The only purpose of playing the game is for competitive battles, really. There is no game that can match the deepness and complexity of a serious top-tier pokemon battle. Just look at all the factors, variables and planning that goes into just choosing and breeding/raising your pokemon (unless you use a generator).

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-10-17 00:14:41 »
Picked up Y, just about to wake up that damn Snorlax, then continue my Combusken/Quilladin/Squirtle reign of terror.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-17 17:48:20 »

Really? Come one now Rundas........ I am severely disappointed if you actually think this.
    I will come back to tell you what I think is the most complex turn based rpg.[/list]

Rundas

• What do you even do?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: 2013-10-17 18:32:42 »
    There are an insane amount of variables to think about while battling against other human players who know what they're doing: nature, evs/ivs, team balance, possible enemy movesets, your own movesets, breeding, chance calculation, pokemon abilities, billions upon billions of strategies, I could go on and on.
    « Last Edit: 2013-10-17 18:35:55 by Rundas »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
    • Administrator
    • Just Covarr. No "n".
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: 2013-10-17 18:51:47 »
    I'm gonna have to agree with Rundas here. The single-player game never really makes good use of all the depth the combat and training have to offer, but in competitive play, the Pokémon franchise is pretty much unmatched in depth and complexity.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: 2013-10-17 19:16:30 »
    ^^^

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: 2013-10-17 22:14:48 »
    I believe you guy's feelings on pokemon being deep and complex comes from the fact that it is one of very few RPG franchises to allow competitive vs play.

The things you pointed out to me were;  nature, evs/ivs, team balance, possible enemy movesets, your own movesets, breeding, chance calculation, and pokemon abilities.

I know you left a bunch out, because I play pokemon too, but there just arent enough variables to make it that deeply strategic. Im not knocking pokemon, it is definitely a top contender, but we cant go around throwing phrases like "Deepest and most complex turn-based rpg of all time" around.

I just have 2 games for you to consider. Disgaea 2 and Phantom Brave. These 2 turn-based (Strategy)Rpgs have the most insane depth to them that I have ever and probably will ever see.
    I know you just said turn based rpg, and may be referring to stricly JRPGs or the like. But when you just say RPG, I consider that to be any game where Role Playing comes first. Hence Disgaea 2 and Phantom brave.

If you have played the game before, please give me your thoughts. If not, tell me and Ill try my best to explain the extreme depth to them without having to write a 100 page essay on the subject.
    « Last Edit: 2013-10-17 22:16:42 by jeffdamann »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: 2013-10-17 22:35:10 »
    You said strategy, you can't compare a strategy game to an rpg.

luksy

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: 2013-10-18 01:33:46 »
    I'm gonna have to agree with Rundas here. The single-player game never really makes good use of all the depth the combat and training have to offer, but in competitive play, the Pokémon franchise is pretty much unmatched in depth and complexity.

Psh Dwarf Fortress would like a word  ;D

yarLson

• spr nrd
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: 2013-10-20 19:12:35 »
    just beat the elite four yesterday and I can say that the story was definitely above average if not a bit strange.  The best part about this game is the random mathups.  You can finally easily play people online without having to trade friend codes.  Pokemon is a great rpg mostly because rather than scapping an amazing system that worked (a la final fantasy) for something entirely new.  They build on their foundation with every installment.  Like everything else its just an opinion but I, for one, enjoy the fact that pokemon has such an enormous level of depth.  A lot of new pokemon can be a little rediculous but hey its okay because you don't have to use them, you can stick with the original 150 if your heart so desires.  If your a newb its easy to tell, and you won't be able to rank very easily until you learn to appreciate the more sublte moves and gameplay mechanics. Majorly, the fact that probability plays such a huge role in high level competition keeps things interesting an unpredictable (which for a human brain = fun).  If your crazy enough to spend the time learning all the intricate mechanics its probably one of the most satisfying rpg experiences in existence.

The new game really plays to all these strengths plus you can finally walk in a diagonal direction lolz.  I'd say pokemon knows what it is and what it isn't and because of this, it doesn't suffer from some common mistakes in the industry.  It doesn't try to be too much (skyrim) or cater to ignorance (cod) or completely shoot itself in the foot with every installment by reinventing the wheel (final fantasy).  So factually it is a solid, well made game, but that doesn't mean that everyone will enjoy it, so to each his own.  As always

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
      • View Profile
      • My YouTube Channel
    « Reply #20 on: 2013-10-26 14:54:29 »
    It is still the deepest, most complex turn-based rpg to ever be created

More so than FFT or Disgaea?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: 2013-10-26 16:45:40 »
    I believe so, because Tactics is great. But Pokémon, whether or not you like the source material, has many more variables, things that could go wrong, possible actions, incredibly varied team makeup(not all 600+ are usable if you want to have a chance), hard and risky decisions in the middle of battle, and most of all, the planning. Another large point for Pokémon is that it is against human players. While Tactics has some of those things, you just really can't understand until you go here or here and try serious competitive battling for yourself. As a side note, a common practice among serious competitors is to auto-generate your Pokémon because you can get the exact one you want and it's not illegal. I believe in raising and chain-breeding your own Pokémon because it's more fun and challenging.